LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Pat Hughes

Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:42 AM Post
While listening to the Cub game last night, I came to realize that my growing distaste for the Cubs has almost made me start to dislike Pat Hughes. He has always been one of my favorites, but I find myself getting quite annoyed with him, especially when the Cubs are playing well.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:50 AM Post
I enjoyed him in Milwaukee, but once you become a Cub in any regard, you are hated. Petty, but true.

Also, I caught the end of the comeback against Colorado on Monday night and hearing Len Kasper yelling "Cubs win" really bugged me. It must be in their contracts that they must use Harry Carey's catchphrase for a win because Hughes always says it.

Ugh, I'm ready for the weekend, I can feel the hate building in me.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:52 AM Post
Is Hughes now the Cubs radio announcer? I had no idea.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:57 AM Post
Quote:
Ugh, I'm ready for the weekend, I can feel the hate building in me.

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:58 AM Post
Pat Hughs is vasty under appreciated, he makes a broadcast sound not so bad, and none of us could do his job. I would never be able to work with Ron Santo after UHHH, AHHH, and GEEEZ, and OH YEAHHHHH.

PAt does an awesome job and I have the upmost respect for him.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/brian-nelson/48/231/604

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 3:06 AM Post

Director of Site Operations
Board Administrator
Pat Hughes is awesome. He's very professional, level-headed, and describes the game is well. I refuse to hate him just because he calls games for the Cubs.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 3:17 AM Post
Take off your bias hats and just listen. Pat Hughes is a gem of a broadcaster who nightly tolerates one of the biggest boobs in front of a microphone. It's like hating Al Michaels because he worked with John Madden. Hughes is a great announcer regardless of whose games he calls.

bugsandcranks.com/the-clu...nnouncers/

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 3:21 AM Post
I agree he's great, and has been been dealt a very bad hand having to work with that morn next to him. I was simply saying (halh in jest) that I used to really enjoy listening to him, but now find myself getting a bit annoyed.

BTW, Al Michaels ia s DuetcheBank in his own right. He's just ok.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 3:26 AM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator

Is Hughes now the Cubs radio announcer? I had no idea.
Pat left the Brewers for the Cubs job. You can't blame him for seizing the opportunity to go from second banana in a small market to top banana in a large one.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 3:27 AM Post
I always thought he was very good as a Brewer announcer. I still stick by my thoughts that Anderson kind of sounds like him.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 
Online  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 3:37 AM Post

BBQ Lefty
Global Moderator
It was strange, because I grew up listening to Pat and was really sad when he left for Chicago, but last year I had a game on driving through Indiana, and I thought it was horrible. I thought he was incredibly boring, and there were huge gaps of silence where nobody said anything.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 3:56 AM Post
I think Santo really drags him down. It's almost like broadcasting every day with a nine year old. He'd never say that and probably would be offended by that statement, but it's true.

I used to like Hughes a lot more. Of course, he was in Milwaukee at the time and it was before I ever heard Powell call a game. I think I'd enjoy Pat a lot more if he was placed with a competent color guy.

Given the choice between the two, I'll take Powell every day of the week. I liked Hughes in Milwaukee, but I'm glad he jumped ship so Powell could come on board. Things appear to have worked out for the best in my eyes.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:01 AM Post
It was strange, because I grew up listening to Pat and was really sad when he left for Chicago,

Me too -- A lot of times I will hear Hughes and intially think it is a Brewers broadcast.

I like Pat and wish him the best --

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:03 AM Post
Hughes was good in Milwaukee. Maybe he still is, I don't know. Powell is one of the best in the business. Let's hope he sticks around for a long time.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:05 AM Post
It's pretty hard to compare when you have Uecker sitting next to you versus Santo. As much as some dislike Bob, you won't get much quiet time with him and you sure don't have to deal with Santo moaning after every play.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:13 AM Post
Cubbie hatred issues aside, I like Hughes. (And the comments above are absolutely right re: Santo.)

Powell has grown on me. He's still a tiny bit too much of a homer, but that probably comes with the territory. (And I think he has stopped bemoaning the Yankees' payroll pretty much every time he mentions them. That used to really annoy me.)

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:17 AM Post
I used to hate Ron Santo, but now he just cracks me up. You'll find that announcers always lag between the play and the announcement, but with Santo you always know RIGHT AWAY.

I think Pat Hughes is a great announcer, and I can forgive him announcing for the Cubs. In any event, I find that when he speaks of the Brewers, whether it be in the standings, or anecdotally, he does so with respect and admiration.

Len Kaspar on the other hand is a sellout and and I wouldn't care if his career gets Steve-Stoned to death.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:23 AM Post
Quote:
I agree he's great, and has been been dealt a very bad hand having to work with that morn next to him.

Morn is far more eloquent.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:26 AM Post
i like how pat always says this:

the cubs today are in blue caps with red bills, their home blue shirts with red undershirts, white trousers, red stockings and blue shoes, and the brewers today have their dark blue caps on with the grey road jerseys, grey pants, blue stockings, and black shoes...

Classic;)

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/brian-nelson/48/231/604

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Pat Hughes

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:29 AM Post
Quote:
It's pretty hard to compare when you have Uecker sitting next to you versus Santo. As much as some dislike Bob, you won't get much quiet time with him and you sure don't have to deal with Santo moaning after every play.

What problems do people have with Ueck? I can't say I've heard many complaints...what are they?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply