LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Bush or Vargas to Pen: Yo starts Fri, Bush Sun, Vargas Wed

Offline  Bush or Vargas to Pen: Yo starts Fri, Bush Sun, Vargas Wed

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:18 PM Post
Bush threw 30 pitches on his normal "throwing day", no? If Yost decided to ditch his plan to have Bush start Sunday, you'd think he would have just had Bush go out for the 12th. Instead, he had Spurling warming up.

I think Bush is still pitching Sunday.

Was hoping Cappy would get the start Sunday. Bush hanging his curveballs in Wrigley scares me.

You think he's a bad match to pitch at Wrigley? I guess I don't see it. He has a 3.05 ERA in 3 starts there, so it can't be because of that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:38 PM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
Here are the words we needed. Quoth Tom Haudricourt:
Yost also announced that Bush would pitch Sunday in Chicago instead of Vargas, who will have his next start pushed back three days. Bush will keep that assignment despite pitching two innings of relief in the Brewers' 11-inning victory over Houston.

Edit: I think I have this right.

Fri: Gallardo
Sat: Sheets
Sun: Bush
Mon: Suppan
Tues: Capuano
Wed: Vargas

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:35 PM Post
I think the Brewers are making the right decision here. After Yo makes his start, moves to the bullpen and saves on the arm and the innings for a month and a half. We trade Vargas before the deadline, move Yo back into the rotation for the rest of the season/playoffs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:41 PM Post
Here is what I don't understand -- why not just start Capuano on Sunday? He historically is dominant against the Cubs, plus then you can give Bush his full rest before his start on Tuesday. Doesn't this make the most sense?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:58 PM Post
Russ-

Spurling was up because Bush's spot in the order was two away (Miller, Weeks, Bush). There was only one out, so that spot could have come up with 2 outs and bases loaded.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 6:05 PM Post
I dont like the fact they are starting Bush after so little rest....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 6:57 PM Post
Gallardo could easily turn into the top option in the 8th if T-Bow is worn out. He will probably also be the top 7th inning guy.

The kid should be great in the pen with his pinpoint fastball and great bender.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 9:27 PM Post
Remember, had Bush not pitched in that game he was probably scheduled for a bullpen session anyway, right? I could be wrong about this. Someone may have said it already but after the log in menu took me completely out of the thread for the millionth time i forgot what was going on. I'm not too worried about Bush, he seems to do well in Chicago.

I agree that Vargas is the obvious choice to be traded. The only problem is that we have very few holes to be filled. Can we really get a solid reliever for a #5 pitcher? I feel bad for Claudio. He's done his best to help us win all year and then just before we make our final playoff push, he's gone and playing in Florida or Kansas City.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 12:18 AM Post
Can we really get a solid reliever for a #5 pitcher?

I think Vargas has some value -- he is in his arby years, so he isn't a rental -- and there are so many teams that are lacking rotation depth. I think the key will be to find a team that has a surplus in something we don't have.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 12:48 AM Post
Vargas isn't a Wes Obermueller or a Victor Santos. He's a decent major league starter with inning issues. He's not something that will bring you the next great thing, but the Brewers gave up a decent pitching prospect to get him don't forget.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 4:32 AM Post
So what if Gallardo falters in the pen? Do we send him back down to AAA? I hope this doesn't ruin the guy's confidence, but I do agree with the move. It is the best way to save his arm while he will still have good value to the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply