Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 21 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ryan Braun crushing the National League

Offline  Ryan Braun crushing the National League

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:40 AM Post
Global Moderator
AVE OBP SLG OPS
342 386 632 1018 Braun
266 335 421 756 League Average

Oh, he's also 6 for 6 in stolen base attempts.

Thanks, as always, to baseball-reference.com.

Braun's page

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
I think those are actually his numbers against all teams - not just the national league (he's appeared in a lot of interleague games).

But I think the point of your post was that he's awesome and I happen to agree. Image

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 4:59 AM Post
Braun has been everything and more than I thought he would be. The guy can just flat out hit the baseball. HIs D has been OK too. He'll go through a slump at some point this year but if he keeps it up, he will give it a good run for ROY.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:02 AM Post
In a small sample versus lefty pitchers, Braun has 14 hits in 27 at bats, with 9 of the hits for extra bases - yes, 1 in every 3 official at bats is an extra base hit....along with 6 walks vs. only 3 strikeouts, this has resulted in a 1.810 OPS against southpaws.

That would be best labelled as sick ladies and gentleman.

Edit: Accuracy

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:03 AM Post
What's really amazing is 7-10 days ago, he was hitting .300 while for the most part, looking as lost at the plate as I would a salad bar. Since then, he's been red-hot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
I think those are actually his numbers against all teams - not just the national league

Yes, but he's also comparing Braun's numbers to the other 3B of the NL, hence he's crushing them.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder
EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:06 AM Post
He has such an ugly approach at the plate but I sure can't argue with the results so far. Still, 114 AB is a pretty small sample, so I'm temperating my enthusiasm. I doubt he'll finish the year with an OPS over 1.000. :)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:21 AM Post
It says how awesome Braun has been that he leads the team in OPS, despite the domination that is Prince Fielder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 6:25 AM Post
Quote:
He has such an ugly approach at the plate
There's really no way you're going to convince me of this. I've watched nearly all his ABs this year, and this statement doesn't reflect what I've seen. Does he draw a ton of BBs? No. Will he chase a bit? Yeah. He's a rookie, and I don't understand how his results don't make you satisfied with his approach. Elaborate?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 7:38 AM Post
I find that statement curious too. Guy's hitting .340 and his approach is questionable? He drives the ball where it is pitched to all fields. I don't think I've yet to see him pull an outside pitch into a 22 hopper to short. His mechanics are very sound. He has a real short, compact swing, uses his legs well, keeps his hands inside. Please explain what we are missing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 8:40 AM Post
Obviously, I'm answering for someone else here, but I think the gist is that Braun himself is unsatisfied with his own approach. He's stated that his pitch selection is not where it needs to be. He's a percfectionist, it seems, and isn't happy with himself for chasing all those low and away breaking pitches.

His still feeling the adrenaline, he says.

Bill and Brian have been gushing about this the last few games.

It's hard to argue with the results, though, regardless of how he feels.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 9:03 AM Post
The only flaw I have seen is that he is overly aggressive, and he swings at some bad pitches. The fact that he is still hitting .342 while doing this speaks volumes. What is he going to hit like once he finally settles in?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 9:31 AM Post
If by ugly approach you mean absolutely crushing the baseball, then I agree.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 9:59 AM Post
Global Moderator
The problem is that unless your name's Vlad, you probably can't maintain results like this if you're chasing too much. Soon, opponents will find the pitch you'll chase but can't hit. It seems that a lot of free swingers that start out hot end up having some serious growing pains, like Jeff Francoeur. Braun, fortunately, has a history of being happy taking a walk, so I'm sure he'll show more discipline as he matures.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 10:03 AM Post
Because of sample size I reserve the right to take this back later but right now Prince is no longer the best hitter on this team. This guy is clearly the real deal. His current numbers are nuts. 21 RBI in his 1st 29 games in the bigs. That's ridiculous.

The one thing he could improve on , if you're looking for a weakness, would be his walk rate (9 BB/114 AB)and his K rate (27 in 29 games) but other than that he's a complete stud.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 11:56 AM Post
He did mention a recent interview that he's working on getting his plate discipline back. Hard to argue with his hacktastic approach when it's producing results right now, but it's reassuring to know that he's concious of what he needs to improve.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 12:02 PM Post
Not to go too off topic, but the idea that Vlad is a free swinger just really isn't true. Vlad doesn't walk at a Bond's rate, but he isn't an Estrada or a Soriano. His OBP for his career is about 60 points higher than his BA. Vlad is fairly selective, his hitting zone is just larger than anyone else's ever.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 12:07 PM Post
Braun has basically hacked at everything and destroyed pitchers anyway. If anything it's a compliment, since I think he'll settle down as he matures a bit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 1:07 PM Post
Somehow i feel that having Prince behind him doesnt hurt either.

typical hitting coach gathers his hitters in a room and is telling them to get a good pitch to hit."
typical pitching coach for the same team is in another room at the same time telling his pitchers, "Get ahead. Throw first-pitch strikes."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 3:47 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
end, to be fair, I think the comparison that strikes many is a very young Vlad, who did fit the bill of 'free swinger.' You're 100% right, though, that he's not anymore. However, he remains a great 'bad ball/pitch' hitter, thus many don't realize he's shed most of his free-hacking ways.

If Braun can mature similarly, and with his focus clearly on improving his discipline I'd bet he will, we'll be lucky!

(I love Vlad!)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 21 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply