LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Do we want the Cubs and Cards to be buyers or sellers?

Offline  Do we want the Cubs and Cards to be buyers or sellers?

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:32 AM Post
Are the Brewers better off if the Cubs and Cards are buyers or sellers? I actually think that it would be better if they were buyers, even though throwing in the towel would let the Brewers coast to the playoffs. Here's why:

1) I don't think they will be able to catch the Brewers even if they do get a rent-a-player.

2) If they stay close, the Brewers will have to remain focus late in the season. If the other teams give up, the Brewers may sleepwalk into the playoffs, likely leading to a first round loss.

3) If the Cubs and Cards are buyers, they will weaken their farm system, which will only help the Brewers in the future.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:46 AM Post
I think what the Cards do will be in a large part dependent if they get Carpenter/Mulder back in July. If those guys arent going to be able to go -- I think they will likely punt and be sellers if anything.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:49 AM Post

Director of Site Operations
Board Administrator
I want the Cubs & Cards to be sellers... Prospects only have a chance to be decent MLB players, whereas vets are already there.

Plus, buyers = free agents = comp picks, so it also strengthens the farm system.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 2:53 AM Post
Come about July 25th or so, if the Brewers can't have a nice double digit lead on both, I'd like them both to be in no man's land - somewhere in the 8 games back range, where they feel like they still have a shot even though it will be very difficult. That is a situation that would likely see those teams either panic a bit and try to do too much and potentially screw themselves, or make some rather low impact moves in a weak attempt to get better that doesn't really do much to help them this season or in the immediate future.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 3:13 AM Post
2) If they stay close, the Brewers will have to remain focus late in the season. If the other teams give up, the Brewers may sleepwalk into the playoffs, likely leading to a first round loss.[/i]

I don't think there's any real evidence of that. You can find examples in all directions, if you want.

I'd rather the Cubs and Cardinals be sellers, without a do

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
Both. The sCrubs need to dump Z and Soriano. They might have to trade Pie to do it. I think that might just be enough to get Milton Bradley. And the Cards should look to dump Pujols since he isn't even the best 1B in division. Robert Fick might be a great guy for them to go after.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder
EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 5:51 AM Post
Soriano is not going anywhere with that deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 6:14 AM Post
He was joking Al

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 6:21 AM Post
I missed the blue font.:)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 8:06 AM Post
Global Moderator
I didn't think I needed a blue font for that post. And I was hoping the sCrub or Cardinal brass read it and make those trades.;)

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder
EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply