LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Pick your set-up man

Offline  Pick your set-up man

Posted: June 26, 2007, 2:18 AM Post
Bush has two problems with his game, one is that he has problems getting outs in the first inning his pitches

I am curious on what you base this statement on. All but 3 of Bush's career appearances have come as a starter.

I don't think it is fair to conclude that a starter who struggles in inning 1 of a game will struggle in their first inning out of the pen. The situations are entirely different. Inning 1 for a starter is going to guarentee 3 of the best hitters in the lineup. Inning 1 for a reliever could be the 3 worst. Plus a reliever has the advantage of a batter getting tuned into another pitcher, someone like Bush could be really hard to adjust to after a batter faced someone like Sheets 3 times.

While you could be right, I think that this is a very weak argument to make to keep Bush out of the pen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 2:28 AM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
Turnbow should be the 'regular' setup man. Villanueva (and Gallardo) can spell Derrick or Matt Wise at times to make sure they have adequate rest.

The one-inning outings Carlos has had this year haven't seemed to get in the way of anything. With Yo now entering the bullpen picture, it would seem that between the two of them, the opportunity for more one-inning outings would become available.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 2:28 AM Post
Villanueva better not be closing next year. That would be an extreme waste to limit his innings to that tune, imo. Melvin's going to have purchase a set-up man/closer either this offseason or hopefully this summer yet. Either that or give the job to T-bow and pray to the baseball gods his psyche doesn't fall apart for half the year again. I'm much more comfortble with option A.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 3:02 AM Post
Turnbow has blown up a few times but I'm not sure what people expect from him. He's a good enough but not great reliever who prone to blowing up on occasion.

To be fair, he's probably prone to blowing up more than just "a few times" or "on occasion." It was just last year that he melted down for an entire half of a season, so obviously he can be bad for long stretches at a time. He can also be great for long stretches as well though.

So far, he's been doing a decent enough job this year. He just strikes me as having a very fragile psyche, and that will always concern me a little bit, particularly anytime he starts getting guys on base.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 3:04 AM Post

Director of Site Operations
Board Administrator
[ To be fair, he's probably prone to blowing up more than just "a few times" or "on occasion." It was just last year that he melted down for an entire half of a season, so obviously he can be bad for long stretches at a time. He can also be great for long stretches as well though. ]

And the year before that he was untouchable for the entire year.

Personally, I'm encouraged that he's figured out how to bounce back from bad outings this year. To me, a permanent meltdown ala 2006 doesn't seem likely.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 3:09 AM Post
And the year before that he was untouchable for the entire year.

Hence, I said:
Quote:
He can also be great for long stretches as well though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 3:11 AM Post

Director of Site Operations
Board Administrator
[ He can also be great for long stretches as well though. ]

A year is a loooooooooooooooong stretch.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Pick your set-up man

Posted: June 26, 2007, 3:54 AM Post
i Know turnbow blows up sometimes, i still want to go to battle with him. he has had 4-5 bad outings this season, and other than that has gotten the job done. Relievers are not perfect, it just seams that when he blows up, its magnified because it usually costs us a win. I can think of one time this season that i put on Yost (against Philly because he has never been able to throw 2 innings). Villaneuva is a great middle reliever / long man out of the pen. Why do we want to mess with what is working for the most part.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 4:48 AM Post
As far as using any pitcher at any time I think that even relievers like to have a defined role with the team. People like to know where they stand.
EDIT: I pick Tbow as the setup man.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 5:01 AM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
I think one defined role can be to spell Wise, Turnbow, or Cordero when any of those guys could use a day of rest.

With about 250 innings to play with between them, Gallardo and Villanueva can do that while still keeping the team well covered for multiple inning situations.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:57 AM Post
I'm not advocating Villanueva close next year, just saying it wouldn't shock me. If Cordero leaves via free agency, that vital job is open and Yost loves the job he's done for him this year in relief. I don't think that is the plan now, but they have to move two current starters to get him a rotation spot and that may or may not happen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 7:24 AM Post
I think it is pretty funny that a thread like this comes up once a month once T-Bow blows a game. I would take T-Bow over almost any other set-up guy in baseball. The guy is not going to hold the lead every time he comes in. Without looking at stats and just going out of the top of my head, I would say T-Bow has held the lead in atleast 8 out of every 10 appearances this year....to me that is pretty successful.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 10:36 AM Post
Quote:
I'm just sick of Turnbow and his constantly tense, panicked look. (And jesus, stop walking people!!) Give me Villy and his calm, cool demeaner.
You can have the guy with the better demeanor, but the Brewers will take the pitcher with better results. Turnbow has impressive numbers this year (not that Villy doesn't).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 1:36 AM Post
I think it is pretty funny that a thread like this comes up once a month once T-Bow blows a game.

If you look at Tbow's stats from the AS break 06 until now -- they definitely warrant some threads questioning his ability.

I have never been a big fan of Tbow -- I was unhappy when DM extended him.

However, I have grown to like Tbow in the setup role, my biggest concerns are

1.) Tbow is not good enough to close for a playoff team

2.) Ned is not afraid to hook him.

Generally when Ned puts his closer in -- it's do or die. i.e., there is no other pitcher warming up when the closer comes in.

I don't subscribe to the "Tbow meltdown" theories. I just dont think Tbow is that good of a pitcher. He cannot locate his slider and heat consistently, and then when he is throwing 94mph meatballs he gets krunked.

Yost should be able to identify this very easily -- If you look at the last game that Tbow blew -- he flat out quit throwing his slider. Once Tbow isn't throwing the slider -- Cordero needs to come in (or someone).

So overall -- I am pretty AOK with Tbow setting up Cordero as long as Ned is not taking a siesta.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply