LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 46 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Is this a Sign of Something?

Offline  Is this a Sign of Something?

Posted: June 26, 2007, 4:42 AM Post
I think its simple - they are moving Bush to the BP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 4:45 AM Post
Quote:
Plus, you figure the next three starts for Vargas would be the Astros, Pirates and Nationals. Three teams that you could imagine would help raise his trade value some (9th, 15th and 16th in the NL in offensive runs) before the all star break.
Wow wouldn't that be nice. I really wouldn't mind continuing to see Vargas work his magic and then get something useful by trading him and watching his numbers come crashing back to earth on another team.

I don't think this will happen, and I think it more likely has something to do with Rluz's idea, which would be kind of sad. But maybe we'll never know...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 5:13 AM Post
Quote:
I hope that Ned's near-obsessive lineup fiddling isn't going to bleed over into the rotation now.

You must have missed the broadcasts when the fact that 22 other teams have used more lineups than the Brewers came out?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 5:16 AM Post
Its a sign that Dave Bush isn't a particularly good SP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 5:28 AM Post
After contemplating this during lunch I think I've got it.

No, Bush isn't being traded, nor is he hurt. Vargas isn't being traded either at least right now. Nor is the reason to "see Gallardo one more time". After all he previously was scheduled for Saturday, so they would have seen him before Capuano came back.

This move confirms Gallardo's going to the bullpen. Think about it. When they bring Capuano off the DL, it will be at the expense of a bullpen arm leaving them an arm short out there. The sooner Gallardo recovers from his next start, the sooner that empty bullpen slot will be filled.

My guess is that Bush or Vargas (whoever doesn't start Sunday) covers the extra bullpen slot for a couple days until Yo's arm is ready, then that guy goes back into the rotation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 5:37 AM Post
I don't have a problem with it. Bush has made two very good back to back starts. Bush has proven that he is incapable of three very good back to back starts. We need to beat the Cubs this weekend. Do the math.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 5:44 AM Post
Quote:
This move confirms Gallardo's going to the bullpen. Think about it. When they bring Capuano off the DL, it will be at the expense of a bullpen arm leaving them an arm short out there. The sooner Gallardo recovers from his next start, the sooner that empty bullpen slot will be filled.

You could easily flip that around and say that Bush is already becoming that extra bullpen arm, and this confirms Gallardo is staying in the rotation. What better way to recover from your last start, than to not make it?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 5:51 AM Post
Quote:
I don't have a problem with it. Bush has made two very good back to back starts. Bush has proven that he is incapable of three very good back to back starts. We need to beat the Cubs this weekend. Do the math.

uh...
sports.espn.go.com/mlb/pl...&year=2006
sports.espn.go.com/mlb/pl...&year=2005
sports.espn.go.com/mlb/pl...&year=2004

I see several stretches of 3 or more very good starts in a row.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:04 AM Post
You must have missed the broadcasts when the fact that 22 other teams have used more lineups than the Brewers came out?

I was half-kidding. (And it's sort of off-topic anyway.)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:06 AM Post
So far I've seen several senarios that make sense. Any of them could be true. Lets just hope the he's got some sort of injury one isn't. I think eventually Gallardo is ticketed for the bullpen for a couple months. He'll get a start then some rest then bullpen duty. It's the best way to get him acclimated to the majors while helping the team without overdoing his innings. Why Bush vs. Vargas? I don't know. Sometimes numbers have to be calculated along with human factors like fatigue, ego management, cohesiveness (sp?) ect.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:12 AM Post
I see several stretches of 3 or more very good starts in a row.

I think (hope) he was kidding.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:14 AM Post
Bush is a better starter than Vargas so hopefully this doesn't mean Yost is moving him to the bullpen because I'll have lost a lot of faith in him if it does.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:25 AM Post
"I think (hope) he was kidding."

It was tongue in cheek, but to be honest, I'm only half kidding. I like Bush as much as the next guy, but he's a bottom of the rotation guy. It's not like Yost is skipping Sheets - that would be newsworthy. The notion that not pitching Dave Bush against the Cubs is going to spell doom is kind of laughable, at least to me.

If this offends anyone, sorry, not my intent.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:42 AM Post
The notion that not pitching Dave Bush against the Cubs is going to spell doom is kind of laughable, at least to me.

I guess it's good that you imagined someone expressing that sentiment. Close call!

We are trying to figure out why Bush is being skipped and if it hints at a much more significant move in the near future. If it's simply one start, it's insignificant.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:44 AM Post
Bush has been the second best starter over the last month... It makes no sense to skip him, although JohnBriggs' theory makes the most sense to me. Sounds like Yo's going to the pen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 6:54 AM Post
For some strange reason, Vargas screams Victor Santos to me....

A great first half.... with a less than mediocre 2nd half.... and yes I know Vargas is much better than Santos

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 7:03 AM Post
"If it's simply one start, it's insignificant."

On this point, we're agreed. As to whether this portends something more far-reaching - we'll know soon enough, but I appreciate the speculation. Got to get through the 21 non-game hours every day somehow...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 7:10 AM Post
Vargas could not be skipped, as that would have led to Bush (and someone else, I think) starting on 3 days rest.

Why Yo instead of Bush? I would think the feeling would be Bush is more capable of having his routine altered than the 21 year-old. Once Yo goes into the bullpen, I assume he'll remain there for quite a while.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 7:58 AM Post
I also think this has something to do with Sheets being lined up with the all star game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2007, 8:02 AM Post
When Ned was on 620 this morning, he was asked about what they were going to do with Yo and he gave a cryptic answer, but basically said they know what they're going to do. But he didn't say what.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 46 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply