Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Be sure to check out the latest Home Page contribution from Patrick:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewArt...icleId=249

Quote   Reply 
Offline  colbyjack's 2006 Draft Review / 2007 Quick Peek

Posted: September 22, 2006, 1:04 AM Post
Nice article, but I have one comment.

While Zduriencik hasn't taken a college pitcher in the first two rounds of the draft, he hasn't selected a high school pitcher in the first round two years in a row.

Huh? What about Jeffress?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2006, 1:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
06: jeffress
05: braun
04: rogers
03: weeks
02: Fielder
01: mike Jones...

there arent two high school pitchers in a row, but there are three of them...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2006, 1:42 AM Post
Global Moderator
While Zduriencik hasn't taken a college pitcher in the first two rounds of the draft, he hasn't selected a high school pitcher in the first round two years in a row.

I think Patrick meant he has never selected HS pitchers in the first round of consecutive drafts, as opposed to he hasn't take a HS pitcher in the last two drafts.

Chris
-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2006, 2:05 AM Post
Oh, I got it now. I'm a little slow this morning.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2006, 3:52 AM Post
I am hoping we get a couple of supplamental picks for 200, something it doesnt seem we've had for quite a while.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2006, 4:37 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
I just posted this in the draft forum as well, but it is a very good little piece on the draft and it also looks like a great year (2007) to have a few extra 1st round/comp picks. Let's hope Tomo comes through for us. I'd love to grab a bat at #7 and use the comp picks for some college pitching.

Good work Patrick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2006, 5:28 AM Post
one comment Patrick. It's nitpicking, but isn't Robinson coming back from labrum surgery? I may be thinking of someone else. In general, I'd prefer it if it were Tommy John surgery

As for RyDogg's comment, it's quite possible that between Kolb, Ohka, Graffanino (has he been a free agent before?), and Bell, that we'll be adding 2-4 draft picks. I say this because my thought process (as GM) would be "who would I like back on a 1 year deal, but expect will sign for big bucks for longer term?" I would think Ohka and Graffanino definitely fit the bill. Kolb might, too, as relievers seem to get overpaid. Someone might just pounce on him before the arbitration offering deadline, wanting to add his sinker. And Bell is tricky. He could be brought back if the club thinks Koskie is done. A 1 year deal for around $2-4 million wouldn't kill the club, and it always seems that teams out there are willing to give him a multiyear deal despite mediocre numbers, because of his leadership, attitude, and clubhouse presence.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2006, 7:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would definitely offer arby to Ohka and Graffy...and they should be at least B or C free agents.

Kolb is too much of a risk for me, and I doubt he is in the top 50% of free agents, so he may well not even qualify for comp picks. I'd give him an NRI and minimum-wage deal, maybe, but I can't see paying him 80% of his current salary.

Bell...geez Louise. I don't have much use for him, and if he accepted arby he'd be guaranteed at least 80% of his current contract of $4.5M...$3.6M. I don't even know if he'd warrant a draft choice at this point.

Aside from that, thanks as always colby for the story!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2006, 8:13 AM Post
SoCal, the reason I included Bell and Kolb is more because of the value they have, yet most of us fans don't understand. I guarantee you people will be shocked this offseason when mediocre relievers with half the track-record of Kolb get 3/$13 million. As for Bell, it's like I said. Some team always wants him. We were all shocked he went to the Phillies for that much money, yet apparently others (I think the Crew, included) were bidding on him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2006, 9:07 AM Post
Global Moderator
Sure, I see your point, and wasn't disagreeing with your assessment of either guy's prospects in free agency. But if there are no picks involved, as is very possibly the case, then there's no reason to offer arbitration. Is there any possible way that Kolb is even a C free agent? Bell I don't know...he's got the playing time that might qualify him, but little in the way of success the last two years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2006, 9:34 AM Post
Is there any possible way that Kolb is even a C free agent?

who knows. He did have some saves last year, and his numbers are better than one would think based on how awefule he has looked this year.

I agree though. It's unlikely these two get offered arby. The fear is that they just might accept

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 25, 2006, 4:49 AM Post
Keep in mind that supplemental picks are only awarded for players that are free agents for the first time. Since Graffanino and Bell have already been free agents in the past, they will not net the Brewers any picks. As far as I can see, the only hope we have for extra picks is Ohka and Kolb, which realistically means Tomo (since I don't see them offering arby to Kolb).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 25, 2006, 6:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
Outstanding work AGAIN Patrick.....thanks so much.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 25, 2006, 6:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
Quote:
Since Graffanino and Bell have already been free agents in the past, they will not net the Brewers any picks.

i don't think this applies to all freeagents, just class c ones...if i'm wrong though, i've completely missed this before...

Quote   Reply 
 [ 15 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test