LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 46 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Braun next season

Offline  Braun next season

Posted: September 11, 2006, 8:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
The biggest question I have about Gwynn is his OBP. Can he get on base at a high enough rate to be a productive leadoff hitter.

A 360 AAA OBP isn't terrible, but I don't think it makes him a lock to leadoff next year in Milwaukee.

Chris
-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2006, 2:25 PM Post
I don't really want to see anyone up on the major league roster to learn anymore.
how do you then find out if a player will be able to cut it or not at the major league level? you have to have people on the roster to learn, just hopefully we are past the time where it seems like half of the roster is trying to learn. look at the white sox, they brought up their CF Anderson to learn this year, but they have enough other good players, they are able to wait it out and let him develop, i hope that's what the brewers are planning on doing as well

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2006, 3:59 PM Post
On the negative for the white sox....with a Vernon Wells, or Soriano in CF, they'd prolly be leading hte central right now...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 15, 2006, 1:00 AM Post
bork

If Braun has a big AFL and spring, Hall's in center, Braun's at third, Hardy's at short.

At this point, I'm ready to write Koskie off by releasing him and paying the $2 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 15, 2006, 7:30 AM Post
Clancy I can appreciate a certain perspective on what you wrote, but why would you just write oof Koskie and release him? He was one the few guys we had who played outstanding defense and he hit very well when he was out there? I'm not counting on him for next year, but he was an asset for the team in everyway at the least someone should be willing to trade for him with a clean bill of health.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 15, 2006, 8:12 AM Post
Good call Igor. Get rid of a solid, veteran, professional hitter so you can rush a prospect? I'm not sure which part of that equation I dislike more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 15, 2006, 10:34 AM Post
He might be thinking Koskie will try to come back just to sit on the DL and collect his money. If that's the case I'm all for releasing him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 15, 2006, 10:59 AM Post
The Brewers won't release him for sure then. If Koskie can't play, he'll be put on the 60 day DL for the season and insurance will pay his salary.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 15, 2006, 11:53 AM Post
I doubt the Crew insures a guy like Koskie, we're only paying him $2M.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 15, 2006, 1:17 PM Post
I bet Toronto insured him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 16, 2006, 3:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
He might be thinking Koskie will try to come back just to sit on the DL and collect his money. If that's the case I'm all for releasing him.

Koskie is known as a pretty standup guy and an excellent influence in the clubhouse. This type of behavior would be completely contradictory to the past 8 or so seasons he's had in the majors.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2006, 8:05 PM Post
I'm impressed!

You guys certainly know your stuff. Even as someone who doesn't typically follow the Brewers, I look forward to reading the discussions around here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2006, 2:41 PM Post
Quote:
The biggest question I have about Gwynn is his OBP. Can he get on base at a high enough rate to be a productive leadoff hitter.

I feel that the OBP stat is somewhat overrated when it comes to leadoff hitters. The prototypical leadoff hitter is a guy who gets on base at a high rate and steals bases, but there are few leadoff hitters in baseball that actually fit this discription. In the AL Central for instance (arguably the best division in baseball), of the top three teams Luis Castillo carries the highest OBP for leadoff hitters at .353. While that's good, its nothing special.

I think Gywnn can make up for his lower OBP by being a good base stealer as a leadoff hitter. By stealing bases you give the team a better chance of scoring runs(moving himself into scoring position) and saving outs (fewer GIDPs). I think Gywnn has Juan Pierre upside and I think that will be just fine.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2006, 2:51 PM Post
feel that the OBP stat is somewhat overrated when it comes to leadoff hitters

it may be overrated by fans, but underappreciated by ballplayers and managers. a .365 obp isn't terrible for a leadoff man. I am a Gwynn supporter, but I'd rather he begin in AAA. He's shown a propensity to increase his numbers the more he plays at a given level, and it could benefit him to work on things while playing every day. a .300 average is nice, but not great in the PCL. With more time in AAA his .360 OBP should improve into the .380-.400 range. Plus, his struggles since being recalled aren't helping. I'd rather bat Gross leadoff at this point

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2006, 4:50 PM Post
Quote:
I'd rather bat Gross leadoff at this point

Ewwww

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2006, 5:02 PM Post
Ewwww

It's a mere 205 at bats, but Gross is leading the team in OBP at .384. Since a full season is roughly 600 AB, I'll multiple his BB totals by 2.5 to give the estimate if he had 500 at bats

37 2b, 22 hr, 87 bb, 145 K's.

the reason I mention him for leadoff is mainly because we have a lack of alternatives. I like Weeks there, but maybe we could better utlilize him hitting 3rd. Based on current personel, something like:

Gross
Hardy/Koskie
Weeks
Fielder
Hart
Jenkins
Hall
catcher

As for the topic at hand...I think Braun will be knocking on the door by May. knowing our luck, someone will get hurt and that'll open the door for him. Same for Yo.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 20, 2006, 1:09 AM Post
Global Moderator
Ewwww

Ewwww what?

Chris
-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 20, 2006, 1:34 AM Post
I still believe Corey Hart is the leadoff hitter for the future!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 20, 2006, 2:58 AM Post
Global Moderator
i wonder if jj hardy could walk enough to bat leadoff...

i kinda like the idea that the brewers dont have a prototypical leadoff hitter, because for the most part those guys aren't great ball players...and having someone who's a plodder on the basepaths should stop nedly from sending runners all the time..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 20, 2006, 3:00 AM Post
You would think that but see Clark, Brady.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 46 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test