West Virginia: A Season in Review

I'd appreciate any comments!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Brevard and West Virginia Season Reviews

Posted: September 13, 2006, 9:15 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Wow, those are sweet, pogo!

I'll re-read them this evening, and I know it was tough to keep the Power review in particular at a reasonable length, but I do want to give out a shout to another possible team MVP (who did his work in the most understated of ways) in middle reliever Patrick Ryan. The dude was awesome in the most thankless of roles, and I know he got some due in a recent article we posted with quotes from pitching coach John Curtis.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2006, 11:43 AM Post
thanks Brad.

It's interesting to think about how things will play out next year. Cain or Ford may jump to AA, along with Fermaint. Brantley and Ford/Cain will jump to A+. Salome should jump to A+ to work on defense. Garrison (personal favorite) could either return to A or jump to A+, where it's quite possible he could join Mark Rogers and Josh Wahpepah. What's unique is that we all marveled at the youthfulness of the Power to open the year, and yet they contended without massive reinforcing from Helena. Their youth, along with the advanced ages in Helena could result in the Brewers basically treating A and A+ as equals next year, meaning that players could be just as likely to jump from A or A+ to AA.
The W. Va and BC. rotations were fun to follow. Here's hoping that Wahpepah comes back strong next year, and that others step up, as Helena and Arizona seemed a bit weaker than normal in the pitching categories. Also, Jones' numbers are easily similar to his numbers in AA before his injuries. I know it's at a different level, but it's hard to ignore that. Having Parra throw well is exciting. But what about Josh Baker and others?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2006, 5:26 AM Post
Great job.

This stood out, though - maybe I'm reading it wrong.

On top of that, Yo only allowed 104 hits this season, meaning he actually pitched 51 hitless innings---a true feat for any pitcher at any level.

You mean he pitched at least 51 hitless innings, right? This is kind of a confusing and strange way of putting things.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2006, 5:30 AM Post
Global Moderator
yea, that line is a little awkward...

i wwas trying to say that, after totaling his innings pitched versus his sits allowed, he came out with 51 more innings than hits...a staggering number..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2006, 6:09 AM Post
Gotcha...

Anyways very well done. I appreciate the work.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 15, 2006, 8:49 AM Post
Commenting on the Power article...FANTASTIC! I was at the ball park at least 3 nites out of 5 this season, and this is one special bunch of guys! Cain when his body matures and fills out will be an outfield star in the bigs....but add Ford the Flash, and Brantley, and that is one impressive outfield. There were few balls that didn't just go over this groups heads that weren't run down! Ford is "first step quick" and that is something that changes the way a pitcher pitches which can be seen in Lorenzo's very consistent success! Salome is just Salome....gun for an arm, a real solid line drive hitter who can spray the ball, and a fantastic person....I watched him interact with kids after games this year, and that's what baseball needs. Pitching is another big positive....Inman is just dominant....knows how to pitch, and knows when he is dominant...BIG PLUS! Welch, Garrison, also very strong and should continue to develop....Thatcher can be and will be a dominant closer, and Ryan was the closest thing to money in the bank I have seen at low A ball period! Everybody call 304-344-Bats, and help keep these guys in WV!

Quote   Reply 
 [ 7 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test