LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 138 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Your 2011 Nashville Sounds

Offline  Your 2011 Nashville Sounds

Posted: May 11, 2011, 12:40 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Global Moderator
Great news for Taylor Green:

Peter Cooper/The Tennessean

Country Music Hall of Famer Emmylou Harris is also animal adoption advocate Emmylou Harris. She’ll be at Greer Stadium Sunday afternoon, May 15, to sing the national anthem before the Nashville Sounds take on the Sacramento River Cats at 2:05 p.m., and she’ll be introducing adoptable dogs during the game.

Through her Bonaparte’s Retreat organization, Harris provides foster care for dogs who have run out of time at Metro Nashville Animal Control, preventing those dogs from being euthanized while seeking permanent homes. Dogs available for adoption will be at Greer, outside the stadium near the front box office.

Harris has become something of a good luck charm for baseball teams. She sang the anthem at game seven of the 1992 National League Championship Series in Atlanta, when the Braves defeated the Pittsburgh Pirates as slow-footed Sid Bream slid safely home ahead of a throw from pre-steroids-era Barry Bonds. She also greeted Sounds third baseman Taylor Green this year for a Bonaparte’s Retreat photo shoot, and Green hit a home run in his first post-Emmylou at-bat. The Sounds, who as of Tuesday had lost eight games in a row, could use the luck.

Tickets for Sunday’s game are available through www.nashvillesounds.com.

Posted: May 11, 2011, 4:29 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Great news for Taylor Green:

If Brewerfan has things that qualify as memes, this is my favorite one so far

BA: Have you ever caught? For half a population, you know what he's going through right now.
Rock: Yep, on a bounce, & uh, gets 'im. That shouldn't happen on 4th of July, should it?
BA: No -- speakin' of liberty bell...

Posted: May 12, 2011, 4:44 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Sounds slugger hopes move to first base helps him move up to big leagues
By Jerome Boettcher, Nashville City Paper

The Nashville Sounds aren’t leaning on Mat Gamel for his glove or fielding.

And if Gamel is to become an everyday player in the Major Leagues, he knows what that will take.

“I feel like my bat is my ticket,” he said.

Though Gamel has hit .302 in seven seasons in the minors, if he expects to make the jump up to the Milwaukee Brewers and into the National League, he’ll need to solidify himself at a position. First base could be the answer.

Gamel has moved from the left side of the infield to the right and has started 30 games there for the Sounds, who snapped a nine-game losing streak on Wednesday with a 4-3 comeback victory against the Fresno Grizzlies.

First base is a transition for Gamel, who made 72 starts last season at third base, where he spent most of his first six professional season. He hopes the move to first base helps him eventually move up to the Major Leagues.

Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder is a free agent after this season. He will be in high demand and is reportedly eying at least a seven-year deal. ?While the left-handed hitting Gamel might not provide the same amount of power as Fielder — Gamel has never hit more than 19 home runs in one season — his ability to hit for average could give the Brewers an option at first.

“I wouldn’t feel uncomfortable” with Gamel as an everyday starter in 2012, Brewers Assistant General Manager Gord Ash said. “The only thing he doesn’t have is that experience. If we are going to be a Major League contending club, we are going to have to make sure that is a pretty important part of our lineup. I’m not saying he couldn’t do it. But I don’t think at this point you could suggest that is going to be the case. ... At least you have alternatives. Whether it is third, whether it is first, he even played a little in the outfield. When he comes to Milwaukee, he can be inserted into the lineup in a few different places, which is always a good thing.”

Gamel, a fourth-round draft pick by Milwaukee in 2005, has played for the Brewers in each of the last three seasons. He was a September call-up in 2008 and 2010 but was promoted to Milwaukee in May 2009 after a hot start with the Sounds. He played in 61 games for the Brewers that season but struggled to find consistency — he hit .242 with 54 strikeouts.

“I haven’t done anything up there consistently,” Gamel, a native of Jacksonville, Fla., said. “I feel like I can go be an everyday player for someone. But a lot of that is not up to me.”

Lately, though, the 6-foot, 215-pound Gamel has been swinging a hot bat. He is riding a six-game hitting streak and has homered four times in the last five games. His solo blast in the second inning on Wednesday was his fifth of the year and he leads the team with 19 RBIs.

On April 30 against Albuquerque — the Sounds’ last victory before Wednesday — Gamel matched a career-high with a 5-for-5 performance and five RBIs. He was a triple shy of the cycle with three doubles and a home run.

“He is going to hit,” Ash said. “We’ve always thought he is going to hit. It is just a matter of where we can get his bat in the lineup.”

So far, first base looks like the best option. In his first 20 games at the position, he didn’t commit an error and has just three on the season.? The miscues were more apparent at third base, though. He committed 114 errors at third during the 2006-08 seasons, which he spent at the Low- and High-A levels and in Double-A Huntsville (Ala.). Last year, he had a career-low 16 errors there. Gamel, who has also played in the outfield, never appeared to adjust, especially from a throwing standpoint.

“My footwork was always the issue. I would get lazy with my feet and throw a ball away,” he said. “It is less stressful [at first]. I don’t have to worry about throwing it anywhere. It has to be less stressful for everybody.”

And it could be more rewarding for Gamel, especially with Fielder’s future up in the air.

“That is probably why they were so adamant about me going to first base,” Gamel said. “I don’t care where I play. I just want to play.”

Posted: May 12, 2011, 7:01 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
“My footwork was always the issue. I would get lazy with my feet and throw a ball away,” he said. “It is less stressful [at first]. I don’t have to worry about throwing it anywhere. It has to be less stressful for everybody.”

“That is probably why they were so adamant about me going to first base,” Gamel said. “I don’t care where I play. I just want to play.”

Certainly a far different portrait of the young man than has been painted by certain reporters. It sounds like he's getting comfortable playing at first, and is hungry for his shot. I'm actually really looking forward to Gamel being the 1B of the near future.

BA: Have you ever caught? For half a population, you know what he's going through right now.
Rock: Yep, on a bounce, & uh, gets 'im. That shouldn't happen on 4th of July, should it?

Posted: May 12, 2011, 2:27 PM Post
TLB, I'm thinking that Gamel projects as a better version of Overbay. If he can cut down on the K's a bit, he'll be huge for us. The Dbacks gave up on Overbay, so it shows that if you are patient, these guys can adjust.

Posted: May 12, 2011, 2:40 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
I'm thinking that Gamel projects as a better version of Overbay.

This is a perfect comparison imo.

Posted: May 13, 2011, 5:55 AM Post

Global Moderator
From the "man among boys" section of this week's Baseball America Prospect Hot Sheet --

Mat Gamel, 1b, Brewers. One way or another Gamel will be in the big leagues next season, and probably with the Brewers. Not only will the 25-year-old be out of minor league options, but slugger Prince Fielder's uniform front likely won't read "Milwaukee" in 2012. For now Gamel's doing his best to prove that he's worthy of being the organization's first baseman of the future by batting .323/.390/.528 through 127 at-bats for Triple-A Nashville. His bat came alive this week with a 13-for-27 (.481) performance that included four homers, a double, eight RBIs and a 2-to-2 walk-to-strikeout distribution. The power will be key for the lefty-swinging converted third baseman because in the previous two seasons with the Sounds he hit a combined 24 homers and slugged an ordinary .493 in 679 trips to the plate.

Posted: May 13, 2011, 9:36 PM Post

Global Moderator
Sounds' newcomer brings bigtime bat
by Greg Sullivan, The Tennessean

While the Sounds have had some trouble with run production early in the season, their recent addition of a former Triple-A batting champion is already beginning to remedy that problem.

Jordan Brown, who won the International League batting title in 2009 with a .336 average and spent part of last season with the Cleveland Indians, is now playing in his first home-stand with the Sounds after the Brewers acquired him on May 2.

"The idea was that he could help our offense," said Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash, who observed this week's Sounds series with the Fresno Grizzlies. "Our scouts have liked him for a good bit and finally he was made available."

It was Brown who proved to be the difference in Thursday night's 5-2 win over Fresno, the Sounds second straight win before Friday night's game that featured a long rain delay. He tied a Pacific Coast League single-game record with three sacrifice flies in the game.

Despite never hitting more than 15 home runs in a professional season, Brown has always managed to be a productive hitter, at least at the minor-league level.

"When you hit in the middle of the lineup you're going to be in a position to help your team win ballgames," Brown said. "I take a lot of pride in what I do."

That attitude and execution is not lost on the Sounds' coaching staff.

"He was the right man in the right spot," Sounds manager Don Money said. "That's part of the game and when Milwaukee calls and says, 'Who knows how to play the game?' Those are the things we talk about."

Brown, a 27-year-old infielder-outfielder, spent his first six professional seasons with the Indians organization, earning MVP honors in both the Eastern League and the Carolina League.

The change in scenery this year, though, may work out in his favor, he said, following a difficult 2010 season where he worked to recover from a torn meniscus injury that he sustained in spring training.

"I was with that team for six years," Brown said. "I was in need of a change.

"I was healthy the whole year (in 2009). I was confident in my ability. I took advantage of it. I'll try and get that feeling back here with the new organization."

Posted: May 14, 2011, 10:09 PM Post

Global Moderator
Sounds pitcher goes extra miles to regain form
Year in Japan proved useful to De La Cruz
by Greg Sullivan, The Tennessean

Sounds starter Frankie De La Cruz had to travel to the other side of the globe to rediscover his powerful windup.

The 27-year-old right-hander looks so comfortable now with his hard-throwing approach, it's almost hard to imagine he had been throwing exclusively from the stretch just prior to his full year in Japan last season.

"Now I have my windup back. That's got my velocity up," De La Cruz said. "If you play (in Japan), I think you'll be able to play anywhere in the world."

The results since his return have been promising for De La Cruz, who signed with the Brewers organization in January after five seasons as a professional. He is 0-1 but leads all Sounds starters with a 3.25 ERA in 36 innings and has posted a team-leading 35 strikeouts.

"He's certainly got the stuff to be one of the dominating pitchers in the league," Sounds pitching coach Rich Gale said. "At any given time 96 (mph) or 98 will jump out of his hand. If you're a hitter you've got to respect that, and then he'll put that filthy change-up on you. He can make hitters look sick if he commands the ball."

But it was not easy, De La Cruz said, as he adjusted to life as a pitcher in the Tokyo Yakult system. He had made brief appearances with Detroit, Florida and San Diego.

"I almost quit," he said of his workload in Japan. "I never threw that many pitches in my life."

Sometimes, he would throw bullpen sessions of up to 200 pitches, he said, and would throw at least 50 even on supposed days off.

But De La Cruz attributed the seemingly unending repetitions for giving him enough renewed confidence in his control to go back to his wind-up, which he had abandoned due to mechanical issues.

"In the beginning I was doing all right (this year), but I have to keep working on my left (non-throwing) shoulder," said De La Cruz. "I'm going to fix that and hopefully get more wins."

"He flies open," Gale said. "But he has the capability to have electric dominating stuff and can shut guys down and just blow anybody away.

"As long as his arm is healthy and he doesn't have any injuries, we'll keep working on it."

Posted: May 15, 2011, 1:27 AM Post
Wow, I didn't realize Cruz had that type of stuff. Here's to hoping that he finds consistency, it sounds like the Crew might have found a diamond in the rough...

Posted: May 18, 2011, 1:23 AM Post

Global Moderator
For Sounds, wins are hair-raising experience
Players believe mustaches end losing streak
by Greg Sullivan, the Tennessean

Their waitress was caught off guard but was duly impressed.

Watching Sounds slugger Brendan Katin and pitcher Chase Wright carefully eat their breakfasts last week so as to not get food caught in their groomed mustaches, she even managed to crack a few jokes at their expense.

“She kept laughing at us,” said Katin, who admitted to darkening his mustache with hair coloring. “She said we wore it well. ‘It’s about time somebody learned how to grow a real mustache.’ Stuff like that.

“People keep telling me mine looks good, but I don’t believe them. I think they just don’t want me to shave it off.”

And with the way things have been going for the Sounds lately, as winners of five of their past seven games, none of them will be making plans to search for the trimmers any time soon.

Nashville opens an eight-game road trip Thursday at Salt Lake. Tuesday’s 11-10 win over Sacramento was their second victory in three days in which they rallied from a five-run deficit.

Half of Nashville’s regular starters now have mustaches. And while there is debate as to how exactly the mustache movement started, they all agree the team could not manage to break a recent nine-game losing streak until their old stubble slowly sprouted into whiskers.

“We figured, what else can we do?” Wright said. “We’ll see how long we’re going to roll with them. We figured, why not?”

“We’re just trying to get some wins, that’s about it. We’re not trying to look like anything,” said infielder Edwin Maysonet, who looks like a 1970s-era baseball card come to life. “It’s working right now.”

Like any new team trend, the mustache trend picked up followers along the way.

“I know Jeremy Reed was going to shave his on Sunday but then he hit the walk-off (home run) so he had to keep his,” Katin said. “Since he kept his, I kept mine and now we’ve got Mat Gamel on board and he put some Just for Men in his.”

But like a lot of other baseball superstitions, the mustaches aren’t for everybody. Outfielder Brett Carroll declined to participate, claiming at first he couldn’t grow one.

“That may not be completely true because, quite frankly, the ’staches are just gross,” Carroll said. “I have to give them credit for the boldness of it, though. The ’staches seem to be carrying us right now.”

Sounds Manager Don Money played in the big leagues from 1968 to 1983, and two of his former teammates — Rollie Fingers and Robin Yount — had memorable mustaches. Money even briefly had a blond mustache of his own.

“They’re allowed to have them as long as they’re not below the lip. Technically, that’s the rule,” Money said. “But if we win a few games we might stretch the rules a little bit.

“If things go the other way we may have to clean it up. Gamel came in here with a Fu-Manchu (Monday) and I said, ‘Nope. Below the lip.’ Reed’s got one. Reed looks odd. He just looks different with it, but to each his own.”

Nashville Sounds right fielder Jeremy Reed (20) shows a bunt at Greer Stadium, as the Nashville Sounds vs. Sacramento, Tuesday morning May 17, 2011 in Nashville, Tenn. (SAMUEL M. SIMPKINS/THE TENNESSEAN)

Posted: May 19, 2011, 3:05 AM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
I'm thinking that Gamel projects as a better version of Overbay.

This is a perfect comparison imo.
I'm not sure about that... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmel just doesn't have the same ring. Image

Nashville Sounds right fielder Jeremy Reed (20) shows a bunt at Greer Stadium
He should lose his 'stache for that. The 'stache makes the man and real men don't bunt! (Care to guess which version of facial hair I've sported since HS?)

The Stars gave away unique Father's Day bobbleheads of Hunter Morris, holding his young son Tripp.

But teammate Mitch Stetter offered this up on Twitter: "Hunter Morris bobble head... Still trying to figure out why he's holding Scooter Gennett"

Posted: May 19, 2011, 5:52 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Harder to make a "G" with your arms, too.

Posted: May 19, 2011, 9:23 AM Post

Global Moderator
The latest "Getting to Know You" from the Sounds is about Brendan Katin

I did not know who Whitney Duncan was. I do now.

Brendan just trumped Taylor Green's Emmylou Harris big-time.

Posted: May 20, 2011, 4:22 AM Post

Global Moderator
Carroll continues to go 'all out' in pursuit of Major League job

Posted: May 21, 2011, 10:52 PM Post

Global Moderator
Hurler sees rays of sunshine
Calgary's Henderson elated to reach triple-A with Nashville
By Scott Cruickshank, Calgary Herald

Shuffling around the continent for the better part of a decade, you pick up a trick or two.

For starters, how to fritter away long hours on the road.

"A lot of down time in baseball, so you have to learn to spend your time wisely," says Jim Henderson, relaxing the other day in his hotel room before his latest employers, the Nashville Sounds, took on the Salt Lake Bees -the early stages of an eight-game road trip in the Pacific Coast League. "Playing cards, watching movies, sleeping, checking out whatever city we are in . . . probably the most common ways of killing time."

Also high on the survival list of the well-miled ballplayer?

Accentuating the positives. Always. This, too, Henderson has aced.

The Calgary-born reliever doesn't deny his rocky opening weeks with the Sounds - a winceworthy 9.50 earned run average - but he prefers to keep sunny stuff in mind.

The fact that he throws harder than ever.

The fact that he cracked Triple-A out of spring training.

"I was excited about that," Henderson, a product of the Dawgs program, says. "It was the first time I had a chance to pitch in some big-league spring training games. To have their eyes look at me, to make an impression on the big-league side - that was a big accomplishment. I think I made a name for myself because I did pitch well.

"I'm 28 years old now and I was looking forward to starting (the season) in Triple-A. I have that chance now. I'm just trying to take advantage of it."

Adding pop to his fastball certainly helps.

Henderson's heaters are clocked in the mid-90s mph now. Never been hotter.

Why?

His right-shoulder joint was surgically overhauled in 2008 - "No pins or anchors, but it was a pretty major cleanup." Plus, more off-season attention to core and leg strength.

Voila. Surplus sizzle. "I never expected to throw this hard, ever," says the six-foot-five right-hander. "My velocity is actually higher than it's ever been. I'm just trying to control that a bit. But everything appears to be headed in the right direction as far as my career, arm-wise and health-wise. Just trying to control my new-found velocity."

The past two summers - DoubleA Huntsville - he did have a handle on it.

In 2009, fashioning a 2.57 ERA, he was named Canadian minor-league pitcher of the year by the Canadian Baseball Network. Last year, he led Southern League relievers with a .210 opponent batting average.

All of which makes his current plight -18 innings, 19 earned runs - somewhat puzzling.

"It's a combination," explains Henderson, blaming "bad luck" and one "really rough" outing (seven earned runs in 1.1 innings).

But he remains undeterred. Reflecting on his 2003 draft class - the Montreal Expos had selected him 777th - Henderson says the other players "are either in the big leagues or they're not playing any more."

So what's made him beat the bushes for nine seasons?

Through three organizations (Expos/Washington Nationals, Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee Brewers)? Through every conceivable grade of minorleague ball (rookie, A, A-, A+, AA, AAA)? Through nine outfits, a few of them more than once (Vermont Expos, Savannah Sand Gnats, Potomac Nationals, Tennessee Smokies, Iowa Cubs, Huntsville Stars, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, Brevard County Manatees, Sounds)?

"The big picture is to always keep moving," he says. "Any time you can continue to move up the ladder, it's a great opportunity, not a bad thing at all. I've grinded through the minor leagues my whole career. And I wasn't a high-rounder, so I had to earn my way.

"There's still potential, I hope, for me."

As it stands, Henderson's professional ledger reads 30-31, with a 4.31 ERA in 537 innings.

All without a single sniff of the major leagues. So far.

"I'd like to make it this year - I try to make it every year," he says. "As long as an organization is still willing to pay me to play . . . I'll keep on playing until someone comes and tells me I don't have a chance. My body feels good and I'm still improving, so I don't see the end in the near future. You get to the point where you make it or break it.

"I'm just trying to put together a good streak now, trying to put this first month of the season behind me. You never know what can happen after that."

Posted: May 29, 2011, 2:48 PM Post

Global Moderator
DiFelice has earned another big-league shot
Dennis Deitch, Delaware County Daily Times

Mark DiFelice
has been here before — doubted, passed over for promotion.

The right-hander spent 11 years pitching for a dozen different minor-league teams, the Camden Riversharks among them, before he became a 31-year-old big-league rookie with the Milwaukee Brewers in 2008. So when his impressive 2009 season was hampered in the final months by a shoulder problem that eventually required surgery to repair both his labrum and rotator cuff and cost him all of 2010, there couldn’t be another 11-year wait for that next shot in the majors.

That’s why Wednesday DiFelice will have to make a decision — stay, or roam free. The Haverford High product has a clause in his contract that requires the Brewers call him to the majors by June 1, or he has the option of being released and signing with another organization.

DiFelice has spent the first two months of this season pitching for Triple-A Nashville, where he has been effective as usual — 1-1 with six saves and a 2.30 ERA in 14 appearances. He has struck out 18 in 15 2/3 innings and walked just four.

Succeeding in the minors never has been a problem for DiFelice. He’s 83-59 with a 3.50 ERA in 277 minor-league games. His 1.149 WHIP (walks and hits per inning pitched) in the minors barely diverts at any level; his numbers in 74 big-league games (5-1, 3.44 ERA, 68 Ks, 19 BBs, 1.203 WHIP) offer no reason to believe he would be any less effective in the majors than in Triple-A.

However, things changed in Milwaukee during the year DiFelice missed while on the mend. Ken Macha was the manager when he was called up in 2008 and kept on the roster out of spring training the next year. Macha, however, was fired after last season and Ron Roenicke — who spent a decade on Mike Scioscia’s Angels coaching staff — replaced him.

Sometimes who you know matters, and DiFelice was in spring training trying to impress a new manager and staff.

Put it this way: A 34-year-old right-hander with a fastball in the mid-80s who didn’t pitch in the majors until he was 31 and is coming off shoulder surgery … that isn’t the type of résumé that catches the eye.

That’s too bad, because DiFelice showed during the first four months of 2009 how dominating a guy without overpowering stuff can be when he commits to going after hitters. His ERA stayed below two runs until July 27 of that season, and in his first 39 games he had a 1.64 ERA, had walked just nine batters in 381/3 innings (and five of those were intentional), and opposing hitters were batting just .187 against him. His cut fastball was becoming a mild sensation in Milwaukee.

But his shoulder started to bark, and with it the magic faded as he tried to work through it. Unless you’re making eight-figures or featured in Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects, all it takes is a year on the mend for you to become an afterthought.

The Brewers have had 12 different pitchers work in relief this year, so it isn’t as if they have been enjoying healthy, effective work out there. Veterans Takashi Saito and LaTroy Hawkins have had injury issues, and when Brandon Kintzler went on the disabled list two weeks ago, the Brewers brought up Tim Dillard — a 26-year-old who didn’t do much to impress during cups of coffee in 2008 and 2009, and got knocked around in his only appearance with Milwaukee six days ago.

So DiFelice has some factors to weigh. The Brewers were the organization that brought him back from independent-league oblivion and offered him the big-league shot he didn’t get while pitching effectively in the minors for the Rockies and Orioles. Milwaukee is the place where his persistence was rewarded.

On the other hand, there’s a new regime in charge, and the early signs indicate that it doesn’t appreciate his abilities the way Macha’s staff did.

It’s a tough choice. But there are bound to be people in other organizations who saw his 2009 success, respect his ability to change speeds and stay around the plate. There are baseball guys who want that pitcher they know will go in relief who won’t screw around and will challenge hitters to earn their way on base. It would be nice if the Phillies — who continue to put up with guys like Kyle Kendrick, David Herndon and J.C. Romero, and their addiction to walking guys — would give DiFelice a job in Lehigh Valley and put Kendrick and Herndon on notice.

Some team will give DiFelice at least that much. And he ought to get another chance to show that his shoulder woes are behind him, that his performance in the first half of 2009 can happen again.

Posted: May 30, 2011, 6:35 AM Post
Mass Haas said:
CheezWizHed said:
That would make more sense than a Lion... especially with a musically themed team.
I love the story on how Ozzie the Cougar (not lion) became the Sounds' mascot.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_Sounds#Mascots]
OMG... I'm sure with some digging someone can find it but a few years back they had Tim Dillard dress up in the first Ozzie outfit and do some adlib. It was so funny.

Posted: May 30, 2011, 7:53 AM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:
Not so on the out clause, says Doug Melvin by way of Adam McCalvy.

Posted: May 31, 2011, 12:06 AM Post

Global Moderator
We reached out to the DiFelice author in a polite way and let him know about the front office comments.

His reaction --

That's incredibly odd, since the person who told me is about as close to Mark as a person can be — and it's such a specific piece of information for someone to share.

Hey, it happens occasionally.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 138 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test