LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  [ 302 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)

Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - San Antonio plan shelved (Post # 224)
Posted: December 26, 2016, 10:15 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
From Baseball America's Matt Eddy's Transaction update 12/24:

The Tigers have searched far and wide for minor league depth this offseason by signing players from the top leagues in Mexico (Travis Blackley, Waldis Joaquin, Arcenio Leon), Japan (Jake Brigham) and Korea (Jim Adduci, Collin Balester) leagues. Detroit had success with this a year ago when they brought first baseman Chad Huffman back after two years in Japan. He hit .286/.387/.505 with 17 home runs at Triple-A Toledo in 2016.

Detroit also signed veteran glove man Brendan Ryan, slugging third baseman Gabriel Quintana (20 homers at Double-A San Antonio) and 2010 first-rounder Zack Cox, who hit .290/.348/.452 in 96 games in the independent American Association.

Just speculation, but there were enough inklings from press reports in Toledo last fall that the Tigers' continued terrible AAA performance might finally, finally, tempt Mud Hen management to break with their decades-long affiliation with Detroit.

As we know, that did not happen.

But this new somewhat unique tact to fortify a weak upper-level system may be partly in response to that.

I don't plan on obsessing about Toledo's record the next two years, but if it's "more of the same", then it remains one of the better chances at an escape route from Colorado Springs (no offense to our friends with the Sky Sox or their fans).

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - San Antonio plan shelved (Post # 224)
Posted: December 26, 2016, 7:18 PM Post
Greenleaf1 said:
For what it's worth, both Davies and Guerra started the year at Colorado Springs. They weren't there long, but Guerra struggled, Davies didn't.

When Davies was called up, he struggled for a bit and figured it out. Guerra came up and was, for the most part, pretty good right away.

Peralta struggled mightily in the majors, then was no better at CS, at least results wise. Obviously he had made some improvements as evidenced by how he looks like an entirely different guy now, but the results at CS were still bad.

CS will affect every player differently, but I can't help but wonder if the increased difficulties at CS might not help a little bit for pitchers to prepare for the dramatic increase in difficulty that it is between pitching to AAA hitters and pitching to big league hitters.

I still think we're better off getting out of Colorado Springs, but Jungmann was struggling before getting sent down, and Lopez could've just had a bad year (he still struggled a lot after his demotion to AA, and he struggled on the road in AAA too).

I agree that every pitcher is unique. That said, CS or an affiliate like it can be useful in helping find some pitching gem. If someone has a lower-than-average ERA there, it may be a very positive sign for them.

Similarly, I think it would be helpful to catch if a hitter needs more seasoning.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 26, 2016, 7:58 PM Post
Two more years until the Crew can try moving to another location (& I highly recommend they do move).

It will be interesting to watch numerous AAA relationships and see if ANYONE will be interested in leaving their current slot for Colorado Springs while the Crew affiliate moves to another location..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 27, 2016, 7:59 PM Post
MadThinker88 said:
Two more years until the Crew can try moving to another location (& I highly recommend they do move).

It will be interesting to watch numerous AAA relationships and see if ANYONE will be interested in leaving their current slot for Colorado Springs while the Crew affiliate moves to another location..

The Rockies, maybe?

It would closely mimic the dynamics of Coors Field.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 27, 2016, 8:02 PM Post

Global Moderator
clancyphile said:
The Rockies, maybe?

They've kind of been there, done that, clancyphile. That's why the Brewers are there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 27, 2016, 9:12 PM Post
clancyphile said:
MadThinker88 said:

The Rockies, maybe?

To the Rockies credit, they spent 20 years there before departing.
IMHO, no other franchise wants to be in Colorado Springs, looking upon it as the very bottom of the AAA affiliate locations.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 27, 2016, 10:04 PM Post

We said that two years ago. CS is a horrible place to have a AAA affiliate.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 28, 2016, 10:36 AM Post
I still don't understand why Attanasio doesn't invest in a stadium 75 miles to the west in Madison for the Brewers AAA home. Do the Brewers fear it would be too popular and diminish home attendance at Miller Park?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 28, 2016, 11:36 AM Post
I have a feeling we be in Col springs much longer than 2 years

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 28, 2016, 12:38 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
I still don't understand why Attanasio doesn't invest in a stadium 75 miles to the west in Madison for the Brewers AAA home. Do the Brewers fear it would be too popular and diminish home attendance at Miller Park?

Overall not a bad idea, but even if the club/ MA was interested in doing that (there are various hurdles/ issues on that), the politics of the PCL losing the location in Colorado still needs to be addressed.

Somewhere earlier in this thread (or in the newspaper links embedded) it was noted how the PCL wishes to keep a club there for scheduling and traveling purposes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 18, 2017, 3:20 PM Post
Texas & Cleveland have played a couple split-squad games (Friday night & today) in San Antonio. The Alamo Dome was converted for the games & it appears there are very good crowds, even with NCAA tourney games this weekend.

Dimensions are strange and there are some ground rules like in Tampa (ball of the scoreboard is live) but its interesting to watch and experience. One Tribe announcer likened it to the old Exhibition Stadium setup in Toronto before SkyDome was built..

Just thinking out of the box here: perhaps a club could play there for 1 season while a true baseball park is being built. If others could see parts of these games and comment, I would be interested in reading their thoughts...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2017, 8:09 AM Post
Link

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_ ... to-4400936

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2017, 10:10 AM Post
The problem with a move to San Antonio is you'd figure they'd dump us ASAP in favor of either Houston or Texas and we'd get the shaft again. A move to Madison would be ideal and I don't see why the PCL would be against it. Nobody wants to be in Colorado Springs and thats not really fair to the franchise. Plus, they could remain in the same division and while trips to Omaha and OKC may be a bit longer the trip to Iowa would be much shorter. Trips from San Antonio to Omaha and Iowa would be a haul.

That being said I've always believed Mark A is looking first and foremost at this whole thing financially. That's why it took him so long to give into this obvious need to rebuild. If it doesn't make sense financially for him to buy the Sky Sox and move them to Madison then he's not going to do it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2017, 11:50 AM Post
Mr Southpaw said:

That game and article are 4 years old.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2017, 6:31 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Mr Southpaw said:

That game and article are 4 years old.

I can't help the games happened 4 years ago. I was just giving some data to help MadThinker's point, Jeez!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 20, 2017, 3:29 PM Post
They did it again this weekend. They've done it the past 4 years in the dome. I went to the first one. It was ok. But I can't say I'm surprised San Antonio dragged their feet.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Wichita?
Posted: March 24, 2017, 3:36 PM Post
Any chance the AAA San Antonio option falls through and the SkySox move directly to Wichita? Would seem like a good situation for the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 15, 2017, 6:17 AM Post

Global Moderator
Sky Sox plan ballpark renovations and say they're staying in Colorado Springs, but could they land in Kansas?
By Brent Briggeman, Colorado Springs Gazette

Workers at Security Service field replaced about 250 light fixtures hanging above the stadium on Thursday.

In the coming months, a revamp of the scoreboard will be competed for roughly $700,000 that will bring high definition to a screen nearly four times larger than its current size.

The Sky Sox are saying they intend to stay in the city, and the $1 million they're pouring into their venue near Barnes and Powers would seem to back that claim.

"We're building for a long future in Colorado Springs," general manager Tony Ensor said Thursday.

This has been the stance maintained by the team's local representatives through the past 15 months as talk of moving the team reached a crescendo. Even as owner David Elmore appeared before the San Antonio city council in April 2016 and announced an intention to move the team there for the 2019 season, Ensor cautioned that no move was imminent and many financial variables remained in play.

It appears he was correct. Media reports from San Antonio from the onset reflected a lack of enthusiasm for the city to raise money for a new stadium - a requirement for the move. In September, San Antonio mayor Ivy Taylor, who had championed the cause and previously said she was "all in" on bringing the Sky Sox to Texas, essentially shelved the project.

"At this point we don't have financial commitments from potential partners and I'm not willing to commit any tax dollars without that critical component," Ivy said in September. "In fact, contrary to previous reports, there will not be any provisions in the 2017 budget or in the proposed 2017 bond package relating to a downtown stadium. Consultants and staff will continue looking at various scenarios, but there is no timeline for action."

Elmore released a statement in September saying, "We are enthusiastic about a Triple-A ballpark in downtown San Antonio. Having studied other very successful examples of downtown Triple-A ballparks - in cities such as Charlotte and Nashville - and appreciating the potential of San Antonio, we want to participate in the opportunity to help move such a project forward in this city."

But even if San Antonio doesn't resurface as a potential destination, it doesn't mean the Sky Sox will stay. Ballpark Digest reports that Wichita, Kan., could become a suitor as the city is looking to spend $65 million on a new downtown ballpark - $40 million of which would come in sales tax revenue that has already been given preliminary approval.

Wichita's market size is ranked No. 96 nationally, just one spot below Colorado Springs at No. 95. So in that regard, a move to Kansas would be a wash.

Wichita, however, is located about 5,000 feet below Security Service Field. The Colorado Springs elevation, and its impact on pitching, has been a major issue for big league clubs that need to lean on the Triple-A level to develop arms.

Elmore Sports Group, based in Manhattan Beach, Calif., announced last year that it would move its short-season Pioneer League team from Helena, Mont., to Colorado Springs if it moved the Sky Sox. While that would represent a drop of four rungs down the minor-league ladder, it would mean that any renovations to Security Service Field wouldn't be wasted if a move eventually takes place.

But Ensor said he expects the Sky Sox, who recently signed a two-year player development contract with the Milwaukee Brewers, to be here for the long haul.

"There's really no change," he said. "There's no update. Our status remains the same as it was at the end of last season. . We're focusing on building our facility for a long future here in Colorado Springs."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 15, 2017, 9:13 AM Post
Good for the Sky Sox. Make that park more attractable for other organizations.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 15, 2017, 11:57 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Good for the Sky Sox. Make that park more attractable for other organizations.

Like your thinking...

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  [ 302 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test