LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


Test
  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next  [ 504 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Latest: Upgrades confirmed in San Antonio's Stadium

Author Message
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: September 19, 2018, 12:01 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8168
Isn't the whole Pioneer League in the mountains? I imagine all of the parks are at high altitudes, although not as high as Colorado Springs I assume.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: September 19, 2018, 12:34 PM Post
Posts: 40
The Pioneer leauge is a short season it’s not that big a deal in my mind ,playing in a triple a park with all the extras you will never see in any other park far out weighs any altitude issue .


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: September 19, 2018, 2:23 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6918
jerichoholicninja said:
Isn't the whole Pioneer League in the mountains? I imagine all of the parks are at high altitudes, although not as high as Colorado Springs I assume.

The Pioneer League cities are sort of divided into Montana - Great Falls, Helena, Missoula, Billings - and Utah/Idaho - Orem, Ogden (both Utah), Idaho Falls (Idaho), and Grand Junction (which is in Colorado, but near the Utah border). The Montana sites are all around 3,000 feet in elevation. The other cities are around 4,500 feet in elevation. Colorado Springs is 6,000 feet.

Most of these cities are pretty dry as well, which I'm guessing makes the ball even more lively.

I really don't know the difference in playing at 3,000 or 4,500 or 6,000 feet.

However, I lived in Colorado for five years, and I can say that the difference between 3,000 and 6,000 is quite pronounced when it comes to things like hiking. How much difference for baseball players - I don't know.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: September 19, 2018, 10:03 PM Post
Posts: 643
Colorado Springs is much more palatable for rookie league placement because the focus is on pitching development without much concern for the stat line. You can have young pitchers literally spend their whole short season working on nothing but keeping the ball down and fastball location. Whereas in AAA you often have guys on the doorstep of the majors who need work on offspeed offerings. The thin air was not the place to be working on spinning the baseball.

Inflating young batters' statuses as prospects will be an added bonus.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: September 26, 2018, 5:07 PM Post
Posts: 40
Officially official: two-year deal with Colorado Springs.

https://www.milb.com/colorado-springs/n ... -296104926


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: September 27, 2018, 1:35 PM Post
Posts: 10437
Who cares about the stadium situation, it is irrelevant because we will only be there for 2 years. Whether a new one is planned or not it is meaningless until we sign another contract to even be there still.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: September 29, 2018, 7:33 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4846
MrTPlush said:
Who cares about the stadium situation, it is irrelevant because we will only be there for 2 years. Whether a new one is planned or not it is meaningless until we sign another contract to even be there still.

If the brewers stay in San Antonio only to be replaced by one of the Texas teams after a stadium is built, I will not be happy. Mark A may have a perfect situation though. He could help pay for the stadium in exchange for some assurances. Not sure if that is legal, but you would have some stability at triple A, in a nice market. It is nice that the brewers relationship with the Elmore group is strong, so hopefully it isn't another Nashville situation.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: September 29, 2018, 7:44 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8168
patrickgpe said:
MrTPlush said:
Who cares about the stadium situation, it is irrelevant because we will only be there for 2 years. Whether a new one is planned or not it is meaningless until we sign another contract to even be there still.

If the brewers stay in San Antonio only to be replaced by one of the Texas teams after a stadium is built, I will not be happy. Mark A may have a perfect situation though. He could help pay for the stadium in exchange for some assurances. Not sure if that is legal, but you would have some stability at triple A, in a nice market. It is nice that the brewers relationship with the Elmore group is strong, so hopefully it isn't another Nashville situation.


I just read an article about it, the Major League club can provide no financial assistance of any kind. I don't know why that is, but that's the way it is.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: September 29, 2018, 9:28 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1586
jerichoholicninja said:
patrickgpe said:
MrTPlush said:
Who cares about the stadium situation, it is irrelevant because we will only be there for 2 years. Whether a new one is planned or not it is meaningless until we sign another contract to even be there still.

If the brewers stay in San Antonio only to be replaced by one of the Texas teams after a stadium is built, I will not be happy. Mark A may have a perfect situation though. He could help pay for the stadium in exchange for some assurances. Not sure if that is legal, but you would have some stability at triple A, in a nice market. It is nice that the brewers relationship with the Elmore group is strong, so hopefully it isn't another Nashville situation.


I just read an article about it, the Major League club can provide no financial assistance of any kind. I don't know why that is, but that's the way it is.

What if Mark bought 1 "share" of the minor league team. Could probably at least round about help pay then?

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: September 30, 2018, 8:02 AM Post
Posts: 40
Weren't the owners of the Pawtucket AAA team going to contribute a significant amount to a new stadium in Rhode Island, before they made the jump to Worcester? Obviously not the same, but I guess it's possible. I don't know if the Elmore Group would even be willing to sell a portion of their portfolio. They have no real ties to San Antonio that I can tell, so I don't know that they'd want any sort of impediment if they decide to relocate again because they're not going to get a new ballpark in SA.

I can't find the article now, but I was under the impression that teams could offer stuff like clubhouse renovations, batting cage upgrades, weight room expansion, etc., in PDC negotiations; stuff that doesn't directly (financially) benefit the owner of the minor league team. It just doesn't happen often because MLB teams don't necessarily want to invest money in short-term relationships. If the Brewers are going to target Wichita in 2020, or they really feel a new stadium will happen, or they think San Antonio will try to dump them in two years to go with another org, they're not going to want to spend a lot on stadium improvements they won't be using in a few years. I can't imagine there are a lot of scenarios where that would even happen, as there wouldn't be a lot of competition to get into cities with aging facilities, and obviously those kinds of offers aren't necessary to places with nice facilities like Nashville, Vegas, etc.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: November 19, 2018, 3:43 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1882
Say hello to the Rocky Mountain Vibes.

Image

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/11/19/milwaukee-brewers-affiliate-changes-name-rocky-mountain-vibes/2058463002/


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: November 19, 2018, 5:09 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1446
I think the name is really really dumb, but I am a big fan of Toasty.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: November 19, 2018, 5:39 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4846
Compared to the finalists, the name is ok. I actually like the name better than skysox and toasty is way cooler than Sox the Fox.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: November 19, 2018, 9:10 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9508
Another food item for a mascot?

I am not a fan of all the new hip nicknames in minor league baseball. Seems all these teams are trying to hard to be cute...

Also not fond of the new color schemes I have been seeing across the leagues...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: November 19, 2018, 9:45 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8168
Seems like every new minor league team logo is being done by the same company, Brandiose. And they all look exactly the same. I guess minor league organizations have figured out the best way to make money is to change your name every 5 years or so so you can sell more merchandise. Or do what the Trats just did and make minor changes to your logo and then make a big deal about it and push merchandise.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: November 19, 2018, 11:42 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1586
That mascot is both awful and awesome at the same time.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: November 20, 2018, 12:25 AM Post
Posts: 517
Location: Washburn, WI
What’s not to love about a smore that is on fire, smiling, wearing sunglasses, giving the peace sign, and walking in his winter boots?! [laughing]

Honestly I love the mascot. It is so weird that it is awesome!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: November 20, 2018, 12:52 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1882
I think they're hiking boots. He's an active s'more.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: November 20, 2018, 1:23 PM Post
Posts: 517
Location: Washburn, WI
bork said:
I think they're hiking boots. He's an active s'more.


I wouldn’t mind s’more input on the new mascot...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Latest in Sky Sox affiliation saga - Team joining Pioneer League in 2019 (Post #287)
Posted: November 20, 2018, 3:03 PM Post
Posts: 3079
I think it's fine. Minor league teams always have whacky team names.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next  [ 504 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test