Under the radar prospects you are looking forward to following

Offline  Under the radar prospects you are looking forward to following

Posted: April 05, 2017, 11:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
Aaron Myers
Mario "Don't Call Me Jose" Feliciano
Jordan Yamamoto
Jon Perrin

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Under the radar prospects you are looking forward to following

Posted: April 05, 2017, 3:15 PM Post
Dustin Houle
Mario Feliciano
Jordan Yamamoto
Wang
Roache
Wes Wilson
Virtually all of the pitchers from the 2016 draft class. (Other than Barnes who you wouldn't call under the radar I guess) I just don't have a feel for any of those guys yet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 3:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
I feel like Tyrone Taylor still has a breakout season inside of him somewhere

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 3:39 PM Post
Mario Feliciano
Joe Perrin
Trey Supak

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 3:44 PM Post
It would be great to have another Brandon Woodruff story happen again this year, where a pitcher seems to come out of nowhere to earn Top 100 prospect status by the the end of the year.

My potential candidates would be:

Zach Brown
Trey Supak
Josh Pennington
Braden Webb
Nash Walters

I know all of these guys may not be necessarily considered "under the radar," but I would say that it would be a great story if just one of them could make a Woodruff-like leap here in 2017.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 3:54 PM Post
Yea, Supak and Pennington add to my list. That's what's great about this site, we can keep our eye on ALL of them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 5:39 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I guess it depends on how you define under the radar. I wouldn't say Feliciano is that - he was the 75th overall pick in the draft last year.

Some DSL guys:
-Moises Perez, C/1B: Posted the best league-adjusted power numbers of any player that played in the Brewers' minor league system last year, and was significantly better than the second best power producer, Ronnie Gideon. It's all pull power and no idea if he sticks as a catcher or not, but one of the more intriguing power displays in the past 4-5 years.
-Joaquin De La Cruz, RHP: Converted 3B from the Cardinals organization, 8th best league-adjusted GB rate among Brewers minor leaguers with at least 50 IP. Also had above average BB% and K%. No idea how hard or what he throws, but we should see him stateside this summer so we may find out soon.

Other pitchers:
-Jon Olzcak struck out everyone last year in Brevard. Throws 90-94 with a slider that flashes plus.
-Conor Harber has a CB that spins a ton and can work in the low 90's. Gets a lot of GBs and produced a lot of weak contact last year in Wisconsin. Above average K% and BB% as well.
-Nattino Diplan has been in the system for quite awhile now (the original Diplan!), and has had erratic results, but he does throw in the low-mid 90's and has a wipeout slider (with little control of it). He finds any semblance of command, he could be a top 30 prospect instantly.
-Aaron Myers has posted some video game-like numbers at points in his first few years in the system. Does not throw hard at all, but appears to hide the ball well and induces extraordinarily awkward swings at times. Looking forward to seeing him in Wisconsin.

Other hitters:
-Jay Feliciano has a middle linebacker-esque frame reminiscent of Demi Orimoloye. Very good arm, plus raw power. Has a ways to go at the plate and is a little older.
-Yeraldy Martinez is one of the better athletes in the system and too has plus power and a good arm, but is raw at the plate.
-Troy Stokes isn't that under the radar, but he was the only player in the system last year to post above average wRC+, and better than league-adjusted average in BB%, contact%, power, and scouted speed.
-Max McDowell, again not that under the radar, but did everything well last year except hit for power. He's athletic enough to stick behind the plate, but he could also play 2B or any of the four corners.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 6:29 PM Post
I was one of if not the first one on Myers and the only one on Harber last year, and called Zack Brown in the draft (not in the correct round), so I'm still on those guys.

Not sure that Feliciano qualifies as "under the radar" as a 2nd round pick.

Not sure if Burkhalter will make it back this year but he was off to a Perrin-lite start until he got hurt. QTC (Quentin Torres-Costa) struck out 11.3/9 last year and could be a future LH reliever. And Mitch Ghelfi quietly had a really good season.

Under the "back from the dead", it would be really nice to see Coulter's finish at AA be for real.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 6:53 PM Post
Mario Feliciano is hardly ever talked about on this forum and was pretty far outside our Top 25. It is under the radar not off the radar. I guess that is how I took it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 7:54 PM Post
Blake Lillis - LHP
Nash Walters - RHP
Jean Carmona - 3B

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 8:36 PM Post
Mario Felciano is my #1

Have a feeling Braden Webb is a guy who might come out in dominate fashion. Him and Z. Brown I think will star in that T-Rat rotation

Blake Lillas has filled out body, read he pitched very well in Spring, is a lefty, and sometimes it's nice when Robin gets to shine. In high school at most schools he'd be a prize.... But Riley Pint coasted a giant shadow.

Lara, Gatewood, & Harrison dont really count as underradar but all were top 10 guys at one point who have all dropped greatly with depth added. I just feel those three in year 3 click! Harrison just needs to stay healthy.... Lara needs to put 2 full halfs of a season together, and Gatewood..... if he hits like he did this spring....He may claim 1B of future! Contact just needs to be consistent

Dustin Houle was raved about & I always liked him. Think he is best catching prospect A+ & up (sorry McDowell you are a close 2nd)

One of Rijo or Bethencourt make a step after not being good last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 8:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
McClanahan is another guy I'll be keeping an eye on.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 9:17 PM Post
Carlos Luna. Dominated DSL in 2015, TJ in 2016.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 9:20 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Carlos Luna. Dominated DSL in 2015, TJ in 2016.

Totally forgot about that guy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 9:36 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
I was one of if not the first one on Myers and the only one on Harber last year

No idea what "on" means, but I liked Harber the first time I saw him pitch back in the first week of April last year. It's in a link report somewhere. Does that make me on him?

Anyway, Lillis is a good call (someone is clearly on him). Velocity is pretty decent for a HS LHP, 86-88. We'll see how the secondary stuff works. Got a lot of ground balls in an extremely small sample last year. Still surprised they were able to sign him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 9:54 PM Post
I think Harber was one of my responses to something like this last year, and he's done nothing to change my mind, especially if he has indeed earned a rotation spot at Carolina.

Others:
Preston Gainey: My pick to pull a Jacob Barnes and force his way onto the 40-man at year's end.

Jose Cuas: While I agree with a lot of the 2016 picks mentioned, there are a couple from the previous draft at Wisconsin who intrigue me. Cuas was fed to the wolves last season, getting pushed up to BC because of a numbers game, and this is one case where a demotion, and the playing time that goes with it, might actually be a signal of confidence in him by the Brewers.

Jordan Desguin: Not as much pitching experience as most prospects his age and was successful in an extended stint in Wisconsin last season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 10:05 PM Post
At this point, is Medeiros under the radar? How about Roache? Lots of good players in the system

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 10:22 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
On this site, I don't think anyone is under the radar!

I like the call of Zack Brown. He's very much like Jamey Wright (don't let that effect your opinion of him, I mean that in a positive way) in that he has good size and stuff, and when he's on he's nearly unhittable. Being more on more frequently is the next step of his development, and you never know when that's going to happen for a pitcher with extreme fastball movement.

I think Medeiros could be under the radar given the disappointment from last year. Same goes for Roache or even guys like Coulter and Taylor. The video Mass Haas shared on Twitter of Medieros was pretty encouraging, as it was pretty clear the trust in his slider was alive in well.

I'm going to go with Thomas Jankins and Eric Hanhold. Jankins of course was taken in last year's draft and had a very solid overall prospect profile with good size and stuff. Plus, the result were pretty encouraging. Hanhold is an interesting player in that he went to college but profiles more closely to a high school player, taking longer to develop than one would like, and he spent more of his time at Florida coming out of the bullpen, which saved his arm but limited his experience. However, the size and stuff are there, and if he's getting more and more used to starting he could be on the cusp of a very good season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2017, 5:33 AM Post
Jose Sibrian, the Dominican League catcher. He was the best catcher in that bunch last year and batted 3rd when in the lineup. I suspect he is a better hitter than the numbers indicated last year and spent at least some of the time injured.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2017, 6:16 AM Post
1B Ronnie Gideon
UT Weston Wilson
C/IF Gabriel Garcia
OF Michael Reed

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test