Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Under the radar prospects you are looking forward to following

Posted: April 06, 2017, 8:55 AM Post
clancyphile said:
1B Ronnie Gideon
UT Weston Wilson
C/IF Gabriel Garcia
OF Michael Reed

I don't know that Michael Reed is under the radar. He's been on the radar for quire a while, it's just that he's been identified as a flock of geese rather than an ICBM.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2017, 9:48 AM Post
pogokat said:
How about Nick Ramirez, 2.0

The story of infielder-to-pitcher conversion might put him on the radar, but as a prospect Ramirez is likely under-the-radar. I'm interested to see if the change to pitcher works, so that the Brewers may have the left-handed Brooks Kieschnick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2017, 11:53 AM Post
Seeing as though a few have taken some liberty with the original question, i would like to follow in that vein. There are just too many to highlight- i'm definitely with many of you who said, you'll be looking forward to following all of them!

So, to narrow them down i put them in ten different categories:

1) All of 2016 Draft Class
Can't wait to see what they all do in year two. Especially Ronnie Gideon and Jose Gomez. Gideon to see if he can still excel against pitchers his own age and Gomez, because who doesn't want to root for Gomeyito. I also love the upside of Braden Webb and think Burnes is going to continue to rise quickly. Guys who fall later in the draft due to signability concerns are often under the radar due to their draft position, guys like Lillis, Zach Clark, Gabriel Garcia, and not under the radar McLanahan. And of course there's our exciting top 3 picks.

2) All the Newbies
Always fun to follow fresh faces. But, I'm particularly intrigued by Art Charles- dominating the Indy league, has a similar Eric Thames mystery quality to him. And of course not under the radar, but excited to see what Dubon and Pennington do. Also, not sure if these guys are still considered prospects, but think Ramsey is under most people's radar and would love to see Aguilar get some regular MLB ABs. In addition, i'd also include the guys brought over in trades last year excited to get a longer look at them too.

I guess I can add positional newbies here too- particularly Ramirez and Berberet. Hopefully they'll have more success than recent attempts of Max Walla and Hitaniel Arias.

3) Lost Their Luster
as several have mentioned, some guys who, even casual brewer fans may have heard of, recently were highly rated prospects, but have fallen off most top lists for variety of reasons including, Roache, Coulter, Demi, Lara, T. Taylor, Medeiros, Phillips, Lopez, Harrison, Gatewood. Coulter had an exciting 2nd half last year, after being called up to AA, Gatewood has looked good this spring, Harrison is healthy, Demi & Lara are still so young, and #Why can't Reed hit for power? From comments around the board i think there are many who feel hope these guys are gonna break out again.

4) Back on the Field
Guys who are coming off injury offer additional intrigue as we see if they can regain their form. We've got quite a few who are either starting the year after missing much of last year or will be joining the team later this year. Will pay attention to all of them, especially, T. Williams, Kirby, Nolin, Barrios, Luna, Burkhalter, Missaki and both of the Leals. extra intriguing is we haven't really even had an extended chance to see most of these guys. Barrios & Carlos Leal still barely have any pro time at their current position, so despite the former's age, still are young, developmentally. Kirby is going to come out firing- such a long wait! and the excitement around T. Will has already been building since the rule v draft.

5) Disappointed They Won't Be Joining Us
I'll still keep an eye on them and root for them, but was looking forward to following their progress with the Brewers this season. Wish they could have had one more season to see what was what including Denson, T. Perry, Collymore, Terry, Saldivar, and of course higher prospects Liriano & M. Diaz. And an honorary shoutout to Walker and Nading and Decker (not a prospect), who never were- lol.

6) Oldies But Goodies
Definitely not considered prospects anymore, but guys who have had a lot of minor league success and hope they do well to get, in some cases, another shot at the bigs. Especially Dillard, Espino, Wilkerson, Burgos.

7) On the Cusp
In danger of being in the aforementioned grouping, these guys need to solidify themselves on the MLB team or else they will be lost amongst the incoming slew of prospects in the next 2 years. that urgency will make me follow them a little closer. Cravy, Wang, Suter, Magnifico, Jungmann, Orf, Reed

8) DSL $babies
the DSL is often intriguing because of the lack of scouting info that gets back stateside to the public. other than stats, sometimes the most helpful info is what they signed for. so, when you see a half-million dollars tied to a name, you tend to take notice, so i'd include recent signees Pablo Abreu, Jean Carmona, Jose Sibrian, Francis Tolentino, Jesus Lujano, Victor Maria, Antonio Pinero.

10) Just Cause
I don't know, we all grow statistical attachments to certain players that we inexplicably root a little more for. maybe we think they're underappreciated or maybe they have the same last name as you. either way, we look extra forward to checking out their box scores. for me, this year, guys who haven't been mentioned yet, i'd include Brandon Diaz- great rookie season, was enamored w a fangraphs article on him after that year, that predicted him to excel- can't separate that out of my mind. Johnny Davis- so fast. so fast. Josh Uhen- call me a homer, but who doesn't want to root for a local guy? Christian Trent- He is one of those guys i kept asking last year, why has he not moved up yet? Ponce- not under the radar, but lost a little luster after his horrid 2nd half last year, but still think he is a fast riser- just have a feeling about him. in the same way as Trent Clark- I know he's not under the radar either, and even though he looks aloof at times, i think he's one of the most natural hitters i've seen in a while. And, among other reasons, the guys who just have cool names- Magnifico, Bubba Derby, Forrest Snow, Troy Stokes to name a few.

So Exciting
Their tools are electric. Will definitely be following them closely, along with everyone else.
Corey Ray, Josh Hader, & Lewis Brinson

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2017, 7:05 PM Post
And That said:
LouisEly said:
I was one of if not the first one on Myers and the only one on Harber last year

No idea what "on" means, but I liked Harber the first time I saw him pitch back in the first week of April last year. It's in a link report somewhere. Does that make me on him?

Pretty sure I was the only person - excluding those who built lists well beyond 50 - who had Harber on their top prospects list. Not in the top 25, but I had him in the low 30's. That's more of my definition.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2017, 7:13 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I had him at 42. With the depth of the system over the past year or so, I think it is very possible to like someone a lot and not have him in the top 25, or even 50.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 07, 2017, 8:55 PM Post
I am not sure Franly Mallen and Nic Pierre count as being under the radar but I am still following them. My only under the radar player who I am following is OF Nick Cain. Cain is another one of those big athletic type of a player. He has some major power and he has enough speed to steal 15-20 bases a year. I am also following Francisco Thomas as I am intrigued with him could be a stud.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 07, 2017, 9:03 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Cain was released.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 07, 2017, 9:09 PM Post
And That said:
Cain was released.

Dang missed that one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 08, 2017, 2:33 AM Post
And That said:
Cain was released.

Well cross him off the list then

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 08, 2017, 7:11 AM Post
Luis Aviles surprised a lot last year.... looks like he wants to again. He is on my radar even more now

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 08, 2017, 7:59 AM Post
Not a prospect but a guy I think we'll see in Milwaukee sooner or later this year is Andrew Barbosa, the big intimidating lefty reliever now at Colorado Springs. I saw him a couple times on tv this spring in Arizona and he looks like he can help.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 09, 2017, 11:04 AM Post
Global Moderator
Zach Clark appears to have the tools (most notably speed) to develop into a very good player.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2017, 5:57 AM Post
Hot starts

G. Cooper: 41 PA .368/.415/.575 6 XBH 2:8 BB:K
D. DeMuth: 32 PA .321/.406/.500 3 XBH 4:7 BB:K
L. Aviles: 39 PA .313/.436/.469 3 XBH 7:8 BB:K
J. Gatewood: 39 PA .323/.462/.452 2 XBH 8:10 BB:K
M. Feliciano: 27 PA .292/.370/.583 4 XBH 3:4 BB:K
M. Harrison: 36 PA .273/.333/.485 3 XBH 2:9 BB:K

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 24, 2017, 9:16 AM Post
Troy Stokes Jr. has had a very nice start to the season. He seems like a guy to keep an eye on, some speed, a little power and plate discipline.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 26, 2017, 9:11 PM Post
Bubba Derby and Nate Griep.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 26, 2017, 9:36 PM Post
Don't like Stokes that much because he is more of a tweener guy. Can't play CF and doesn't provide much power at a corner. We will see how he develops, but not that exciting to me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2017, 9:41 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
"Can't play CF" is not accurate. He can play CF, he's just often been playing beside other players whom the Brewers are giving the priority in CF. He's not a premium defender by any stretch, but he's in the same part of the CF defensive continuum as Kyle Wren.

Stokes has played basically a season and a half of baseball so far in his pro career, and carries a .371 OBP. At a 600 PA average, he's averaging 47 SBs (84% success rate at that), and nearly 30 doubles. He has a career wRC+ of 119, which is really good run creation. For reference, average MLB wRC+ for LFers was 97 last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2017, 9:49 AM Post
Global Moderator
Defensively, I always thought Stokes was like Clark. Or maybe Michael Reed. Could play CF, but probably not.

He is someone to keep an eye on as a contributor, but I still doubt he will be a priority starting OFer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2017, 10:08 AM Post
And That said:
He can play CF, he's just often been playing beside other players whom the Brewers are giving the priority in CF.

That is the problem though. Even when he makes the majors there will likely always be someone better defensively. Maybe he could play there, but it may not happen. I guess I shouldn't say I don't like him because in the contect of under the radar prospects he might be one of my favorites. Overall though his ceiling is pretty limitted and I don't imagine him ever getting a shot here. Probably a good candidate to be traded when we are contending to get some "now" reinforcements.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 68 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test