LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Under the radar prospects you are looking forward to following

Offline  Re: Under the radar prospects you are looking forward to following

Posted: April 27, 2017, 10:12 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Don't like Stokes that much because he is more of a tweener guy. Can't play CF and doesn't provide much power at a corner. We will see how he develops, but not that exciting to me.
This view makes me wonder, if Tony Gwynn, Sr. was not quite as good as he really was and started his career in 2017 instead of 1983, would he have been guaranteed a starting spot in the majors? His slugging percentage through his age 25 season was around .400. Only 5 times did he hit double-digit home runs. He was a well below average defensive corner outfielder.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Under the radar prospects you are looking forward to following

Posted: April 28, 2017, 1:10 PM Post
NYChez said:
MrTPlush said:
Don't like Stokes that much because he is more of a tweener guy. Can't play CF and doesn't provide much power at a corner. We will see how he develops, but not that exciting to me.
This view makes me wonder, if Tony Gwynn, Sr. was not quite as good as he really was and started his career in 2017 instead of 1983, would he have been guaranteed a starting spot in the majors? His slugging percentage through his age 25 season was around .400. Only 5 times did he hit double-digit home runs. He was a well below average defensive corner outfielder.

So basically if he didn't .350 and more like .280? Gwynn still had pretty impressive speed that I am sure would make up for the lack of power.

That is what Troy Stokes will depend on. I know he gets a lot of steals, but I am not sure how much of that is just low minors catchers just not being good. Add in the high OBP maybe he is a Brett Gardner type without the above average defense? It would be nice if he could add a little bit more power than he has now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 25, 2017, 9:22 AM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
One of Rijo or Bethencourt make a step after not being good last year.

What does everyone think of Wendell Rijo. Out of all these posts, YoungGeezy was the only one to list him. He was a top 20 Red Sox prospect before we got him. He now seems to be fighting Allemand and Ortega for ABs. He has a decent OBP but his AVG and SLG are low but it is hard to rate him based on so few ABs. Has he been hurt? Why cant he get more playing time?

P.S. kind of fun re-reading this list from the beginning of the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 25, 2017, 2:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
He is a light hitting 2B-only player. We have a lot of these type of players (Betancort, Neuhaus, Mallen, York). You hope one of these guys improves to become Scooter Gennett, but its doubtful. Even being a Yadiel Rivera or Allemond have better prospects as they can play SS defensively.

Nate Orf is probably the top of this category, but he plays more positions defensively and has hit better. I'm not sure if Orf is even top 30 in the Brewer's prospect list.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2017, 1:21 PM Post
Neuhaus has the best power bat of the bunch but can seem to hit for any average. Orf is a fun prospect & hope he gets a shot somewhere. Undrafted griddy player who just hits & plays everywhere

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 26, 2017, 9:29 PM Post
Global Moderator
I've given up on Neuhaus. Every time I think he is going to finally show off his potential, he gets hurt or goes cold. Third year at Wisconsin and he is hitting 233/287/436, which is pretty close to his career MiLB numbers. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it. Too far away and just no improvements.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2017, 6:59 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I've given up on Neuhaus. Every time I think he is going to finally show off his potential, he gets hurt or goes cold. Third year at Wisconsin and he is hitting 233/287/436, which is pretty close to his career MiLB numbers. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it. Too far away and just no improvements.

He played all of 8 games at Wisconsin last year. He had a grand total of 441 at bats at Wisconsin coming in to this season. I'd say he's had about a season and a half of actual AB's at his current level. He just turned 22 and is still age appropriate for the level. He already has more extra base hits than he has ever hit in a whole season and his current SLG is certainly not "close" to his career MiLB numbers.

Still, the numbers are not great and I doubt he amounts to much but we can at least be fair with the assessment.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2017, 7:50 AM Post
NYChez said:
Bubba Derby and Nate Griep.

Good call on these two, perhaps the only "under the radar" guys to emerge this year so far other than Ramirez part 2. Derby's turnaround from 2016 when he wasn't under the radar has been amazing and Griep's having a really nice season at Carolina.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2017, 8:21 AM Post
Stokes was also mentioned quite a bit and the lack of power that was a criticism has emerged this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2017, 6:39 PM Post
Global Moderator
Some recent reports on Troy Stokes, Jr. are listed below.

From Fangraphs, Eric Longenhagen's Daily Notes for 7/10:

Troy Stokes, Jr., OF, Milwaukee
Level: Hi-A Age: 21 Org Rank: HM Top 100: NR
Line: 2-for-4, HR, 2 BB, 2 SB

Notes
A muscular 5-foot-8, Stokes packs quite a punch and has above-average pull power. Because of his size, his swing is equally as compact as it is lofty and he’s able to be short to the baseball while also lifting it into the air. Stokes lacks bat control and doesn’t square balls up as frequently as scouts like to see, leading to many pop ups, and his pull-heavy approach to contact means he might be solved at upper levels, but he’s got an interesting power/patience combination and some speed, too.

Also a good Troy Stokes, Jr. article from last month appeared on BP Milwaukee written by Kyle Lesniewski, Stoked for Carolina

So moving on to my question... now in his 4th season in the organization, are we underestimating the present talent and future potential of Troy Stokes, Jr.?

The former 4th round pick wasn't among the top 30 vote getters in our pre-season Brewerfan.net community prospect rankings, although I would guess he moves up somewhat in our mid-season vote. It seems that Stokes, Jr. has a legitimate shot to develop into major league outfielder, even if it is ultimately in a backup role. I attended a Mudcats game in which he not only hit a home run over the scoreboard, but he also hit a line drive that went just foul down the left field line that is one of the hardest hit balls I have ever seen in person. His hard contact ability was on full display. He has a quick and compact swing with what appears to be above average bat speed. He also possesses the speed element of the equation to make the power/speed combination intriguing. One fair criticism does seem to be that he is very pull heavy. Still, he has some exciting tools for a player that just turned 21 years old this past February. By comparison age wise to some of his Carolina teammates he is one year and four months younger than Corey Ray while Troy is also younger than Lucas Erceg, Jake Gatewood, and Monte Harrison. I know many of the other Carolina prospects have more protectable frames, but the 5'8" Stokes, Jr. seems to be holding his own among a heralded group of prospects.

There is certainly more to prospect development than stats, but it is notable that so far this season 34 of his 79 hits have gone for extra bases including 4 triples and 13 home runs. He currently has an .817 OPS which ranks first on Mudcats roster ahead of even Jake Gatewood. The speed has also translated on the base paths where he has 18 stolen bases on the year.

Is Stokes still being mostly underestimated or is he now emerging out from under the radar?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2017, 9:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
Stokes reminds me of Michael Reed quite a bit. I think Reed was in the top 10 a few years back? Stokes has a chance (as Reed did). to be a 4th OFer, but he has a ways to go yet to achieve it. And quite a few OFers ahead of him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2017, 9:45 PM Post
Both get on base at a good clip, Reed maybe a little better at it. Reed never showed the power that Stokes is flashing this year. It was always promised, but never delivered.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2017, 10:15 PM Post
I've been using the Michael Reed comp for Stoked since Helena. The under the radar productive OBP monster with speed. Like said before though, he now is flashing power Reed never showed. If this was our system 3-4 years ago.... he'd be pushing top 10 but now it's tough. Our 25-35 prospects may be top 10 in many other farm systems.

Due to age and level they count as sort of under the radar but we have started to collect our best ever wave of internal signings. I'm really high on Lujano, Abreu, E. Martinez, Carmona, and Familia! Add in an impressive Torres. Just a shame we haven't found many arms that really stand out like them. I believe at least one of these guys will hit & skyrocket. Who, not sure yet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 12, 2017, 1:00 AM Post
Why not Gindl for a Stokes comp?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 12, 2017, 6:19 AM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
I've been using the Michael Reed comp for Stoked since Helena. The under the radar productive OBP monster with speed. Like said before though, he now is flashing power Reed never showed. If this was our system 3-4 years ago.... he'd be pushing top 10 but now it's tough. Our 25-35 prospects may be top 10 in many other farm systems.

Due to age and level they count as sort of under the radar but we have started to collect our best ever wave of internal signings. I'm really high on Lujano, Abreu, E. Martinez, Carmona, and Familia! Add in an impressive Torres. Just a shame we haven't found many arms that really stand out like them. I believe at least one of these guys will hit & skyrocket. Who, not sure yet.

I agree on the minor league guys. I would add Florentino to that group as well as Rodriguez and L. Ernesto singed this latest period. Plus you have folks like Sibrian, Piniero, Mallen, Yerald Martinez, Salaman, Chirino and Jay Feliciano aleady stateside. If you look at it, the org is absolutely dotted with kids out of the DSL program. The ramp up started under Melvin but Sterns has taken it to a new level.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 12, 2017, 6:30 AM Post
Gindl does look like a better comp, closer in height stat lines are more similar so far. Fun Gindl fact he actually has a career 102 OPS+ in the big leagues. A little surprised he didn't get more chances somewhere. Reed really now looks like a guy who had 1 good year at just the right time. He's never hit above AA at this point with any success.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 12, 2017, 6:55 AM Post
igor67 said:
Gindl does look like a better comp, closer in height stat lines are more similar so far. Fun Gindl fact he actually has a career 102 OPS+ in the big leagues. A little surprised he didn't get more chances somewhere. Reed really now looks like a guy who had 1 good year at just the right time. He's never hit above AA at this point with any success.

Gindl is still at it with an .809 OPS in 71 games this year for the Lancaster Barnstormers in the Atlantic League. His former teammate in the Brewer system Sean Halton is also playing with Lancaster with a current OPS of .831 also in 71 games. I thought Gindl had a chance to develop into a Matt Stairs type player but he's never quite had the power of Stairs even though their swings looked a lot alike.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Under the radar prospects you are looking forward to following

Posted: July 12, 2017, 8:30 AM Post
Troy Stokes is definitely a real prospect now that he is showing the HR totals. He can really solidify his status if he shows the power again next year at AA.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 13, 2017, 10:26 PM Post
I liked zach brown out of Kentucky, felt like he and Braden Webb and Corbin burnes would all be fast movers. Burnes has been amazing and brown had been awful, but lately he has really turned it around. Tonight he just lowered his ERA to 3.50 and he's put together a solid string of starts. One to watch!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 1:15 PM Post
BrewersAA said:
I liked zach brown out of Kentucky, felt like he and Braden Webb and Corbin burnes would all be fast movers. Burnes has been amazing and brown had been awful, but lately he has really turned it around. Tonight he just lowered his ERA to 3.50 and he's put together a solid string of starts. One to watch!

Brown was injured early in the season - thus the gap from April 6th to May 11th and only 2-inning stints May 11th and 16th, and thus why he was "awful".

Excluding those first three outings, his ERA has been 3.00.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test