LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 87 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2017 Pre-Season Edition

Offline  Re: BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2017 Pre-Season Edition

Posted: June 15, 2017, 3:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm always disappointed when someone you think has high potential doesn't perform. But I'm also patient and understand that not everyone develops as fast as others.

That in a nutshell is what I've been trying to say. People are expressing disappointment by some performances this year, but not giving up on players being prospects.

You have the prospect like Braun/Fielder/Weeks that you expect to perform, did perform and made good or great MLB players. They left little doubt in their MiLB career that they would make the MLB level. We really don't have many of those (none we have drafted).

Then there are others like Lucroy that you hoped would do well. Early expectations were lower. He played ok early in his MiLB career, but came on very strong later. Late bloomer might be overstating it. I didn't mean late age wise, but MiLB career wise.

Given that many of our players are playing in that Ok, not great category, I expect several will come on like Lucroy. But its hard to wait for that to happen.

I don't see many people giving up on our prospects, just expressing frustration in the wait...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 01, 2017, 11:15 PM Post
We seem to debate this every year, but wouldn't it make sense to generate a new list at the MiLB break? And then one after the season ends?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 03, 2017, 7:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:
We seem to debate this every year, but wouldn't it make sense to generate a new list at the MiLB break? And then one after the season ends?

Yes, we do debate this every year.

The reasoning we wait until August 1 is a combination of things.

1. The trade deadline is probably the biggest reason we wait. People like to see what moves we make (both additions and subtractions). Last year we slotted in Brinson and Bickford and Ortiz in our mid-season poll. Those trades generated a ton of interest (we had 60+ poll submissions last summer - by far a record). Doing the poll a few weeks before the trade deadline is just a bit premature for a lot of people.

As an example, we did the mid-season poll in 2015 in July. Less than two weeks later Gomez was dealt, and Phillips, Houser, Hader and Santana were added to the system. So our Top 25 sat there for three months without any of those guys on it.

2. With poll before the trade deadline, there is always the risk of a trade happening during the vote time frame that totally screws up your voting. Example: let's say you run a vote from July 1 to July 10. On July 5, the Brewers make a big trade, acquiring several good prospects. At this point, what do you do? Do you restart the vote? Do you hope everyone comes back and updates their list? I have to admit, that isn't that likely to happen - but the threat of it is still there.

During the 2015 poll, I was worried that Gomez was going to get dealt during the voting - and I'd have to figure out how to deal with the situation. Thankfully, the trade didn't happen until after the poll was done.

3. It does give us some data from short season ball to react to. Even if it's only 6-8 weeks, people like to see that data.

In the end, I think the biggest thing is that the trade deadline generates a ton of interest on the boards and about the team in general. People like to weigh in on the shinny new toys.

I don't think either way is really that much better - but users seem to like to see how things stand after the trade deadline before making any decisions. Totally understandable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 05, 2017, 8:16 AM Post
Fair enough. Most importantly, you're the one who has to do the work so whatever works best for you!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2017, 2:43 PM Post
Looking forward to the next community list. I was just looking at my list and I am having a hard time keeping it to a top 40 let alone top 25. I don't have any recent draftees past round 3 in the top 40.

Impressive depth in the org!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2017, 10:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
Maybe we should extend it to 30 or 40 this time?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2017, 10:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
Maybe we should extend it to 30 or 40 this time?

Nope. 25 is fine. We talk about this every year as well.

It's actually a bit of work doing the Top 25 - and the more slots, the more work. Plus, I don't want to discourage people by making it too in depth. Knowing minor league guys is pretty geeky. I am cool with that. But the Top 25 is supposed to be for fun. And I really want as many people as possible to participate. Making it too much of a task might discourage some participation.

And as I said - the more slots to have - the more tabulating of votes there is involved.

So 25 it is.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 87 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test