LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 25 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Link Report for Thursday 5/18 - A Season Debut for the Ages for Cooper Hummel

Offline  Link Report for Thursday 5/18 - A Season Debut for the Ages for Cooper Hummel

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:06 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Thursday 5/18 - Morning Baseball in Carolina

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:10 AM Post

Global Moderator
Thursday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Brandon Woodruff at El Paso (Padres), 7:05 PM pre-game, 7:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him again this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: TBD at home vs. Chattanooga (Twins), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Erik Bremer (@Erik_Bremer) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them. Only games in Chattanooga and Mobile won't be available.

Carolina: RHP Cody Ponce at home vs. Down East (Rangers), 9:45 AM pre-game, 10:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We look forward to Mudcats audio with Greg Young (@gregyoungjr), especially after going without gameday audio for much of the Brewers' stay in Brevard County.

MiLB.TV - Yes, Carolina home games will be on MiLB.TV, sweet. It appears three other Carolina League teams (Salem, Myrtle Beach, and Winston-Salem) broadcast as well.

Wisconsin: RHP Braden Webb at home vs. Cedar Rapids (Twins), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

In 2017, fifteen games will be broadcast on Spectrum Sports in Wisconsin, available on channel 32 and in HD on channel 1332. We'll keep you posted with our "DVR Alerts" days in advance.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Thursday 5/18 - Morning Baseball in Carolina

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:11 AM Post

Global Moderator
Follow Thursday's action as it happens with box score / game log links:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Carolina

Wisconsin

MiLB.com feature -- organizational scoreboard, Brewers

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Thursday 5/18 - Morning Baseball in Carolina; Timber Rattlers on Local TV Tonight

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:13 AM Post

Global Moderator
Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Colorado Springs Media Notes - Linked on the Sky Sox official blog

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Carolina Media Notes - Linked on the Mudcats official blog

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Carolina League Southern Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Carolina

Wisconsin

Weather.com:

El Paso, TX

Biloxi, MS

Zebulon, NC

Grand Chute, WI

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Thursday 5/18 - Morning Baseball in Carolina; Timber Rattlers on Local TV Tonight

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:14 AM Post

Global Moderator
Timber Rattler DVR Alert -- TONIGHT!!!

THURS. 5/18 vs. Cedar Rapids, 6:30 PM

Spectrum Sports are available on channel 32 and in HD on channel 1332 in Eastern Wisconsin

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:20 AM Post

Global Moderator
Happy 20th Birthday to 3rd year pro and 2015 3rd round RHP Nash Walters

As you'll see at that link, hopefully working on control and command in extended spring -- still so young...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:21 AM Post
What a debut for Cooper Hummel. Picked off a man in the first and has doubled and tripled in his first two at bats.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:24 AM Post

Global Moderator
Wednesday's game --

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 10:42 AM Post

Global Moderator
AUDIO via Brewers.com Wed. 5/17: In "Brewers On Tap" episode 82, Lane Grindle chats with Orlando Arcia, Eric Sogard and prospect Mario Feliciano.

Specifically of interest for this forum, the interview with the young catcher is at the 18:45 minute mark.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 11:18 AM Post
Hummel just homered. Only needs a single for the cycle but it's probably too late unless they blow the lead.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 11:18 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
WV Brew said:
What a debut for Cooper Hummel. Picked off a man in the first and has doubled and tripled in his first two at bats.

Add a HR to that. Looks like he'll fall a single short of a cycle unless Down East comes back and he gets to bat again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 11:34 AM Post
Maybe we'll call it a "soft" cycle since he got a walk in the fourth at bat.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 11:36 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
And Down East almost did come back as Quintin Torres-Costa hung a couple curveballs that left the yard.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 2:36 PM Post
Hummel's huge day leads Mudcats to 7-5 win versus Down East
Cooper Hummel fell a single shy of the cycle in his 2017 season debut on Thursday
By Greg Young / Carolina Mudcats | May 18, 2017 4:01 PM ET

Cooper Hummel finished a single shy of the cycle while going 3-for-3 with a double, triple, a home run, two runs and three RBIs in his 2017 debut. He also caught five pop outs, picked off a runner at first and reached base safely in all four of his at bats. (NIKOLAUS - Carolina Mudcats)

Cooper Hummel-Superstar. Well, for today anyway. 3 for 3 with a walk. He also picked a runner off base and caught 4 popups, which sounds routine but isn't always on this club. All three hits were hammered. The double was off the wall in left, triple went to deep right center and the home run to straight away right. Overshadowed were some other fine performances - Troy Stokes Jr. (2-4, 2B, HR), Trent Clark (1-2, HR, BB, Sac Fly), and Weston Wilson (3-4, 2B, and playing 2B today). Trent Clark's home run was just to the right of the center field area. When it was hit, I thought there was no chance it would go out but, of course, it did. The balls were carrying very well today. He really packs a pop for a guy his size.

Cody Ponce went 7 innings to pick up his 4th win of the season. He scattered 7 hits and 1 walk and struck out 4. He threw 86 pitches, 60 for strikes, and had an 8/2 ground out to fly out ratio. Eric Hanhold worked a scoreless 8th. Quintin Torres-Costa gave up a pair of gopher balls in the 9th before Nate Griep came in to notch the save. The Mudcats were going to bring in Nate Griep for the 9th when Cooper Hummel hit a 2 run home run in the bottom of the 8th. Then they sat down Nate Griep and went with Torres-Costa. He may not have had enough time to warm up but it's probably still a good gamble.

Carolina Box Score

Carolina Game Log

Carolina Bottom of the 3rd

Cooper Hummel doubles (1) on a line drive to center fielder Carlos Arroyo.
Carlos Belonis grounds out, third baseman Josh Altmann to first baseman Tyler Sanchez.
With Trent Clark batting, Cooper Hummel advances to 3rd on a balk.
Trent Clark out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Eduard Pinto. Cooper Hummel scores.
Luis Aviles lines out to center fielder Carlos Arroyo.

Carolina Bottom of the 4th

Isan Diaz doubles (10) on a line drive to left fielder LeDarious Clark.
Jake Gatewood reaches on a fielding error by third baseman Josh Altmann.
Lucas Erceg grounds into a double play, second baseman Luis La O to shortstop Josh Morgan to first baseman Tyler Sanchez. Isan Diaz to 3rd. Jake Gatewood out at 2nd.
Troy Stokes Jr. homers (4) on a fly ball to left field. Isan Diaz scores.
Weston Wilson singles on a ground ball to center fielder Carlos Arroyo.
Cooper Hummel triples (1) on a line drive to center fielder Carlos Arroyo. Weston Wilson scores.
Carlos Belonis grounds out, second baseman Luis La O to first baseman Tyler Sanchez.

Carolina Bottom of the 8th

Lucas Erceg strikes out swinging.
Troy Stokes Jr. strikes out swinging.
Weston Wilson singles on a line drive to left fielder LeDarious Clark.
Cooper Hummel homers (1) on a line drive to right field. Weston Wilson scores.
Carlos Belonis flies out to right fielder Eduard Pinto.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 3:25 PM Post

Global Moderator
Check out the "innings pitched" column in Cody Ponce's game logs and then notice the manageable pitch counts, also displayed in the main section here.

What a horse. Maybe the safest bet along with Brandon Woodruff at contributing to the big league rotation down the road.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 5:44 PM Post
Disturbingly efficient - 86 pitches to get through 7 innings. Only two if his 8 starts have not gone at least 7 innings. Wish the Ks were there.

A scouting report would be really nice... [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 8:11 PM Post

Global Moderator

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 8:12 PM Post
Through five, Woodruff being Woodruff.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2017, 8:28 PM Post

Global Moderator
Hummel makes Mudcats debut in style
Brewers catcher misses cycle by a single in first game of season
By Sam Dykstra / MiLB.com

An 18th-round pick in 2016, Cooper Hummel collected three of his 11 career extra-base hits on Thursday. (Carolina Mudcats photo)

Catcher Cooper Hummel technically began 2017 on the Rookie-level Helena roster but spent most of the season's first two months with Class A Advanced Carolina, where he got bullpen duty and bided his time as the club's de facto third catcher. He was told he'd be insurance in case backstops Max McDowell or Mitch Ghelfi were injured or if anyone at Class A Wisconsin went down, but that opportunity had yet to come.

Finally, when infielder Wendell Rijo's promotion to Biloxi opened up a roster spot Wednesday, Hummel was officially added to the Mudcats, and he admitted he didn't sleep much given the chance he'd make his full-season debut.

"To be honest, I was joking around with my girlfriend last night and saying, 'Wouldn't it be funny if I went something like 3-for-3 with maybe a bomb or something in there?'" Hummel said. "She just told me to be less amped."

As it turned out, those words were prophetic.

The 22-year-old went 3-for-3 with a homer, a triple, a double, a walk and three RBIs in his full-season debut Thursday to lead the Mudcats to a 7-5 win over Down East at Five County Stadium.

It was the first time he had collected multiple extra-base hits in his brief Minor League career and matched his high of three hits, set Aug. 6 last season with Helena.

"It was an awesome day," said Hummel, who hit .176/.359/.275 in 35 Pioneer League games in 2016. "I don't want to say I ever lacked confidence or especially in the guys on this team to make it easy for me today. But they were all excited for me to get the opportunity. All 25 -- or even 30 if you count the guys on the DL -- had my back and were there for me today, and I think that's the biggest thing that helped me, knowing I had them with me."

The double came first for the 2016 18th-rounder, leading off the third inning, and it didn't take long. Batting from the left side against Wood Ducks righty Emerson Martinez, the switch-hitter ripped a line drive to center on the first pitch he saw. Although it would have been tough to predict, that set the tone for the rest of the afternoon.

"When I stepped into the box, I was just trying to clear my mind," he said. "My head was going a million miles an hour since I knew I might play, and everyone was joking around with me that I was being super antsy. I just wanted to see a pitch I could hit. I know what I can do with the bat, and I've tried to refine my approach some. But when it came down to it, I saw something I could hit and made good contact."

Hummel added an RBI triple as part of a three-run fourth inning -- that time on a 2-0 count -- and took a free pass in the sixth. Brimming with confidence, he stepped in against right-handed reliever Jacob Shortslef with a runner on in the eighth and swung hard at the first pitch he saw. This time, he lined the ball over the wall in right for his first Class A Advanced home run.

"He was attacking the zone pretty well from what I could see, and some of my teammates gave a scouting report that he had good velocity -- I think someone said mid- to upper-90's -- with a cutter," he said. "I happened to get something middle in that I think cut a little bit on me, and I was able to pull my hands in and whack it pretty good. Thank the Lord it went out."

With his homer and triple Thursday, Hummel matched his totals in both categories from the entire 2016 season. The University of Portland product said he put in work this spring and into the season with Mudcats hitting coach Dave Joppie to improve his ability to drive the ball.

"To be honest, the homers are always going to loom large over anyone, but I love singles and doubles," he said. "This is a fun sport, and getting those can be fun, too. But yeah, a homer and a triple on Day 1, can't ask for anything better."

VIDEO - Watch all three hits and one silent treatment: "Cooper Hummel finished a single shy of the cycle while going 3-for-3 with a double, a triple, a home run and three RBIs in his 2017 debut."

Beyond his performance at the plate, Hummel also worked behind it Thursday as Mudcats starter Cody Ponce allowed two earned runs on seven hits and a walk while fanning four in seven innings. The Brewers' No. 15 prospect improved to 4-3 with a 3.35 ERA in the victory.

"Yeah, I was lucky to get a great start with him," Hummel said. "He's got confidence in all four of his pitches and really attacks the zone. Today, all four of them were on and he was hitting his spots. That makes my job easy."

As busy as Hummel's day was on the field, it still wasn't over as texts flooded in from those who had been following his perfect season debut. There might be an "I told you so" going the other way before the day is over.

"I checked my phone after the game and saw a text that said, 'Sorry, that wasn't the game you wanted,'" he joked. "We had a team meeting right after the game, but I know there were messages from my parents and grandparents and a whole bunch of people. My phone blew up. I'll get back to them all."

VIDEO: "Troy Stokes Jr. hits a solo shot"

VIDEO: "Trent Clark led off the fifth with a soaring drive toward center at Five County Stadium."

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Thursday 5/18 - A Season Debut for the Ages for Cooper Hummel

Posted: May 18, 2017, 9:48 PM Post

Global Moderator
VIDEO via WXXV: RHP Javi Salas on joining the Shuckers from extended spring training

VIDEO via WXXV: More from Salas

VIDEO via WXXV Wed. 5/17: Highlights from Wednesday's Shuckers win - we'll post here as there's some new views on plays, including Javier Betancourt escaping a close call on a lower leg injury at the plate

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 25 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test