LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Baseball America Midseason Top 100 (MLB Pipeline Top 100 at Post #40)

Offline  Re: Baseball America Midseason Top 100

Posted: July 14, 2017, 11:53 AM Post
Boomer5 said:
leitermab07 said:
Greenleaf1 said:
He's in KLaw's top 50, for whatever that's worth.....

With that, I have the espn Insider have access to Keith Laws prospect updates.

Brewers ranked in the top 50 for April and July as well as the top 100 he created in January

January 2017 ranking(top 100) - April Rankings update(Top 50) - July ranking update(Top 50)

Ray 34 - 27 - NR
Brinson 38 - 31 - 30
Diaz 41 - 30 - NR
Burnes - NR - NR - 38
Clark - 67 - NR - NR
Erceg - 70 - NR - NR
Hader - 71 - NR - NR
Ortiz - 79 - NR - NR
Woodruff - 100 - NR - NR

It will be interesting when MILB updates there top 100 but from the update ranking between BP, Law, and BA. It seems a lot of scouts are down on Ray. Keith Law was the biggest fan out of those three scout sites before and after the draft. Having Law drop Ray out of the top 50 says alot.

For people who don't have access, Burness is right behind Mckay (first rounder from Louisville by Atlanta) and right ahead of Gohara (ATL) and Triston Mckenzie (stud pitcher for the Indians). Seeing him ahead of Mckenzie puts a smile on my face because I know a lot of scouts love Mckenzie and myself view Mckenzie as a future TOR pitcher (Carolina has faced him twice these year and he dominated them both times).

I don't know if that is Law and his "love" for the Brewers or reality but that is one sad state of affairs. Only Brinson and Burnes are up there. Maybe Hader is off because he is in the majors?

Clark, Ray, and Diaz have all been major disappointments. Yes there are excuses I suppose but Tim Tebow is at 972 in high A and he hasn't picked up a bat since HS and had another job in between if I recall.

Massive small sample size alert on Tebow.

As for the top 50, players currently in the majors were not eligible (honestly something I wish all prospect lists would do), so Hader/Woodruff were not eligible. He mentioned in his chat yesterday that Ray was nowhere near his top 50, seemingly suggesting he wouldn't be on his top 100 either. He did say he figured there'd be about half a dozen Brewers on his next top 100, which I would assume also would not include Hader/Woodruff, so take that for what it's worth.

I submitted a question about Burnes, but he didn't answer it. I believe he took 2 or 3 questions about how crappy Ray has been, and a couple other Brewers-related questions, so I was kinda peeved he wouldn't take any questions about a very surprising add to his top 50, but oh well.

He said he talks to a lot of scouts for the list, so maybe he's hearing the same thing that someone had mentioned recently on Twitter that Burnes' velocity has seen an uptick recently and is more regularly hitting 96-97. Should be interesting to see how his pitches are graded when MLB.com updates its info.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 12:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
Greenleaf1 said:
He said he talks to a lot of scouts for the list, so maybe he's hearing the same thing that someone had mentioned recently on Twitter that Burnes' velocity has seen an uptick recently and is more regularly hitting 96-97. Should be interesting to see how his pitches are graded when MLB.com updates its info.

That would be very interesting to see in a more confirmed matter than Twitter. I saw another poster list that speed for Burnes' FB. Plus it would be good to know if that is peak or working velo.

If working velo, he would be right there with Woodruff and would explain a lot of his dominance (just like Woodruff).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 12:31 PM Post
I've seen Burnes pitch a couple times when he was at A+. The second time the gun in the stadium was showing velo that high but I talked to a scout who was clocking pitches and said the gun (EDIT: at the stadium) was 3/4 MPH high.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 12:49 PM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
I've seen Burnes pitch a couple times when he was at A+. The second time the gun in the stadium was showing velo that high but I talked to a scout who was clocking pitches and said the gun (EDIT: at the stadium) was 3/4 MPH high.

I probably can't find the tweet but it was from one of the regular Brewers minor league tweeters that mentioned the velo uptick was something he was hearing in the last few weeks, and seemed like it might've been due to an adjustment he had made at AA. I might be wrong though, there's been a lot of talk about him making adjustments throughout the season.

Honestly though, if he's making adjustments and seeing any sort of increase in consistency/velocity, then with these results his realistic ceiling is only going up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 1:55 PM Post
Greenleaf1 said:
82brewcrew82 said:

I probably can't find the tweet but it was from one of the regular Brewers minor league tweeters that mentioned the velo uptick was something he was hearing in the last few weeks, and seemed like it might've been due to an adjustment he had made at AA. I might be wrong though, there's been a lot of talk about him making adjustments throughout the season.

Honestly though, if he's making adjustments and seeing any sort of increase in consistency/velocity, then with these results his realistic ceiling is only going up.

Oh I agree and I'm not disputing your info, just giving my personal expereince. What your saying about an adjustment sounds vaguely familiar.

If that is correct and he is throwing mid 90's, with his already described as "eliete" curveball and average change, then he has to be on the cusp when it comes to these lists. I don't put much stock in these prospect lists as they seem arbitrary and reactionary when it comes to moving players up and down. However, when we get reports of something changing in the players skill set, then that makes a difference in my mind.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 3:57 PM Post
Boomer5 said:

I don't know if that is Law and his "love" for the Brewers or reality but that is one sad state of affairs. Only Brinson and Burnes are up there. Maybe Hader is off because he is in the majors?

Clark,
Ray, and Diaz have all been major disappointments. Yes there are excuses I suppose but Tim Tebow is at 972 in high A and he hasn't picked up a bat since HS and had another job in between if I recall.

Can you define for me what is not a "major" disappointment? If a 20% walk rate and a 125 wRC+ as a 20 year old in the leagues most pitcher friendly park (while stealing 23 of 26) is a "major" disappointment, Im not what will make you happy. Im glad Im not your son. [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 6:14 PM Post
ZBTMP said:
Boomer5 said:

Clark,
Ray, and Diaz have all been major disappointments. Yes there are excuses I suppose but Tim Tebow is at 972 in high A and he hasn't picked up a bat since HS and had another job in between if I recall.

Can you define for me what is not a "major" disappointment? If a 20% walk rate and a 125 wRC+ as a 20 year old in the leagues most pitcher friendly park (while stealing 23 of 26) is a "major" disappointment, Im not what will make you happy. Im glad Im not your son. [smile]

But, but, but his batting average is low.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 14, 2017, 8:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
82brewcrew82 said:

That was more my fear. The stadium guns always seem to run hot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 2:34 PM Post
ZBTMP said:
Boomer5 said:

Clark,

This. If you spend just a few seconds looking beyond batting average, Trent Clark is put together a very impressive season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 3:09 PM Post
Clark was the 12th pick in the draft and fell out of the top 100 by mid 2017. No, he is most certainly not having an impressive season.

I saw where he finally changed from the golf grip and he is taking some more walks and stealing some bases. But he isn't driving the ball as seen in his sub 400 slugging. Walks are very nice but major league pitchers aren't going to let him do that until he proves he can hurt them.

Right now it would be difficult to see him playing in the Majors and that's why you draft a guy in the first round.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 3:21 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
Clark was the 12th pick in the draft and fell out of the top 100 by mid 2017. No, he is most certainly not having an impressive season.

I saw where he finally changed from the golf grip and he is taking some more walks and stealing some bases. But he isn't driving the ball as seen in his sub 400 slugging. Walks are very nice but major league pitchers aren't going to let him do that until he proves he can hurt them.

Right now it would be difficult to see him playing in the Majors and that's why you draft a guy in the first round.

So Tebow had a .648 OPS in a ball but still got promoted. Why do you think that is?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 4:38 PM Post
Deceptively impressive, I probably should have said. I feel pretty good about him right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 5:27 PM Post
Boomer5 said:

Truthfully Clark's probably still had the fourth or fifth best season of any of that class' prep bats (at least those chosen in the first two rounds; I didn't dig any deeper). Yes, he hasn't hit the way Rodgers, Tucker and Mountcastle have, but two of those guys were top 5 picks. If you look at the previous year, Clark's numbers are probably more impressive than any of the prep bats in their second seasons.

And a large part of the reason for the sub-.400 slugging is the low batting average. His ISO is actually the same as Josh Naylor, who was picked three picks earlier as a power-hitting first baseman, posted in the generally more hitter-friendly California League, and that helped earn him a promotion.

If he can bring the batting average up as he gains more pro experience and continues to build up a little more pop as he gets older, I could see him developing into a 20 home run version of Nori Aoki's rookie year, and I think that still plays in the big leagues. I'm not saying he's a sure-fire prospect by any means, but I don't think you can really classify him as a lost cause or even much of a disappointment at this stage either.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Baseball America Midseason Top 100

Posted: July 15, 2017, 5:33 PM Post
Who would have thought it would be difficult to see a A+ ball player playing in the majors?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 15, 2017, 9:22 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
I saw where he finally changed from the golf grip and he is taking some more walks and stealing some bases.

What's wrong with the golf grip? JJ Hardy has had a nice career with the golf grip.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2017, 8:22 AM Post
PlayerHader said:
ZBTMP said:
Boomer5 said:

Clark,

This. If you spend just a few seconds looking beyond batting average, Trent Clark is put together a very impressive season.

I would say that Clark arguably has the best OBP skills in the system (Michael Reed is probably his best competitor in that regard as well - he's leading Biloxi with 35 walks - the next closest was Dubron with 25 in 99 more PAs).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2017, 8:40 AM Post
82brewcrew82 said:
So Tebow had a .648 OPS in a ball but still got promoted. Why do you think that is?

Because the Mets and the media is trying to cash in on Non-Baseball fans caring about non-news about Tebow.

This is one of the stupidest articles I may have ever read.

I apologize in advance for sharing.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/tim-tebow-featured-on-the-sal-all-star-game-ballot-and-heres-how-you-can-vote/

It's newsworthy that someone is listed on a Single A All-Star ballot?

Give me a break.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2017, 8:42 AM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
82brewcrew82 said:
So Tebow had a .648 OPS in a ball but still got promoted. Why do you think that is?[/

It's newsworthy that someone is listed on a Single A All-Star ballot? *****

It's newsworthy in the same sense that Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, or Deion Sanders was newsworthy. Two-sport athletes are a rare commodity in the professional word so it's interesting.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 24, 2017, 5:55 AM Post
Tebow is hitting .317/.398/.549/.947 at St. Lucie. Yes, it's a small sample but you have to give him credit. A lot of people took him as a joke but it's not working out that way necessarily.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 24, 2017, 9:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
The MLB Pipeline Top 100 Midseason List is out. That link is to the story about the list release, but for those that just want to get right to the complete list it is available at this LINK.

Brewers on the list include:

#15 Lewis Brinson
#70 Corey Ray
#83 Luis Ortiz
#96 Brandon Woodruff
#97 Keston Hiura

Hader appears to have graduated off of the list. Here is the updated MLB Pipeline Brewers Top 30 Prospects.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test