LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Baseball America Midseason Top 100 (MLB Pipeline Top 100 at Post #40)

Offline  Re: Baseball America Midseason Top 100 (MLB Pipeline Top 100 at Post #40)

Posted: July 25, 2017, 12:24 AM Post
Wow, do I count 8 players in the top 30 from this past draft and international signing period? Seems like a lot. Was it that great of a draft/IS period or is it a bit of an indictment of some of the players who have slipped this season?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Baseball America Midseason Top 100

Posted: July 25, 2017, 4:50 AM Post
Global Moderator
Eye Black at Night said:
The MLB Pipeline Top 100 Midseason List is out. That link is to the story about the list release, but for those that just want to get right to the complete list it is available at this LINK.

Brewers on the list include:

#15 Lewis Brinson
#70 Corey Ray
#83 Luis Ortiz
#96 Brandon Woodruff
#97 Keston Hiura

Hader appears to have graduated off of the list. Here is the updated MLB Pipeline Brewers Top 30 Prospects.

Also notable is that MLB Pipeline updated their Top 10 By Position lists as well. Brewers appearing on those lists included 2B prospects Keston Hiura (#5) and Isan Diaz (#6) as well as Lewis Brinson who was ranked #5 among all OF prospects.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Baseball America Midseason Top 100 (MLB Pipeline Top 100 at Post #40)

Posted: July 25, 2017, 5:02 AM Post
25) Phil Bickford
The guy smoked weed, he didn’t exactly stick up the Kwik Trip. Also I cannot be convinced that Taylor Williams isn’t a top 30 prospect not that there is anything wrong with Je’von Ward or Larry Ernesto but...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 6:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
Eye Black at Night said:

Hader appears to have graduated off of the list. Here is the updated MLB Pipeline Brewers Top 30 Prospects.

That's what it appears. Josh was called up on June 9. Rookie eligibility is 45 days or 50 IP - so he's crossed over the former threshold.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 6:51 AM Post
WV Brew said:
Tebow is hitting .317/.398/.549/.947 at St. Lucie. Yes, it's a small sample but you have to give him credit. A lot of people took him as a joke but it's not working out that way necessarily.

Do we also have to give him credit for the .220/.311/.336 slash line in A ball this year? Not directing this at you specifically WVBrew but why do we go so far out of the way to laud a 30 year old who was failing miserably in A ball (but got promoted any way) as something to behold? No, Tebow is, and will remain, a self aggrandizing joke. If he wasnt getting attention for this, he wouldn't be doing it.

Diaz, Clark, and Nottingham get labled as out right failures but Tebow gets credit? It just makes no sense to me.

Last edited by 82brewcrew82 on July 25, 2017, 7:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 6:51 AM Post
Global Moderator
BigDaddy1974 said:
Wow, do I count 8 players in the top 30 from this past draft and international signing period? Seems like a lot.

That actually is pretty common. Usually 8-10 guys get put into the top 100 from the recent draft.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 7:03 AM Post
ZBTMP said:
25) Phil Bickford
The guy smoked weed, he didn’t exactly stick up the Kwik Trip. Also I cannot be convinced that Taylor Williams isn’t a top 30 prospect not that there is anything wrong with Je’von Ward or Larry Ernesto but...

Agree with all of this. Also, no Burnes in top 100? I also think Gatewood and Nottingham should be 15 & 16 at least.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 8:52 AM Post
Out of curiosity, which prospects on our were previously on the MLB top 100 list?

Maverick
Bickford
J Lopez
Nottingham
Clark
Lara?
Kodi right out of the draft?
Tyrone Taylor? He was our #1 at one point, but was he top 100?

Also, Burnes should be in this year's top 100.
Gatewood should be a bit higher.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."
-Zack Greinke

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 9:01 AM Post
That's ridiculously low for Bickford. Can understand why people are down on him but he was still drafted in the top 18 TWICE and his career minor league statistics are as follows: 2.78 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 3.0 BB/9, 10.6 K/9. There are probably only four or five players in the system that has the same upside as Bickford. He should get knocked down because of some of the concerns but behind players like Trey Supak, Jacob Nottingham, Caden Lemons, Kodi Medeiros (and a bunch of others)?

Also think Trent Clark should be a few spots higher. 20 year old in high A that is OBP'ing .374 and further along in the power game than I expected (8 home runs).

On the flip side, I'm really surprised Erceg wasn't the player that took the big tumble. No getting around a .278 OBP, not even great defense and home runs can save a third baseman from making that many outs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 9:10 AM Post
reillymcshane said:
BigDaddy1974 said:
Wow, do I count 8 players in the top 30 from this past draft and international signing period? Seems like a lot.

That actually is pretty common. Usually 8-10 guys get put into the top 100 from the recent draft.

The 8 that dropped off were:

Josh Hader (graduated)
Gilbert Lara
Jorge Lopez
Devin Williams (injured)
Nathan Kirby (injured)
Demi Orimoloye
Chad McClanahan
Michael Reed

The only two on the list that were really disappointing were Lara and Lopez. Last three names were all pretty fringy to begin with and probably just went from being listed just within the top 30 to being listed just outside the top 30 (although "prospect status" may be a term that could be removed from Reed at this point).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 9:53 AM Post
I am kind of torn on Lopez. Yes, he's been converted to a reliever but he has done well at it and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up as a pretty good bullpen arm. I'm not sure I view him and Medeiros all that differently right now. Having said that, I think he has a better chance than a 16 year old international signing. I think Lopez probably belongs on the list and Rodriguez probably does not.

There are a whole host of guys that fit with McClanahan and Demi. Among them are Peyton Henry, Zach Clark, Gabe Garcia, Lara, Coca, Egnatuk, and Ward. All are youngish and in the low minors and I'm not sure any are established enough to be ranked in the top 30 though any one has enough ceiling to get there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 10:25 AM Post
Global Moderator
reillymcshane said:
BigDaddy1974 said:

I should clarify - I erred in reading your post. I thought you were talking about the Top 100 - not the Brewers Top 30. Totally different things. Sorry for that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 6:43 PM Post
Global Moderator
MKEguy said:
Also, Burnes should be in this year's top 100.

Jim Callis did acknowledge previously that Corbin Burnes received votes when they did their top 100 list.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 7:31 PM Post
Taylor Williams a huge miss - he definitely belongs there. Ponce and Bickford should be higher than Supak - Supak has struggled at A+ so far.

These prospect lists will favor upside, but I give more weight to performance at AA and above so you'll see Hauser (like Williams there is a reason they protected him from the Rule 5), Derby, Wang, Barrios, etc., higher on my list than a Ward/Rodriguez/etc. Even if those guys end up relievers, we've seen that good relief pitching has a lot of value.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 8:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
Apparently Isan Diaz was next man up in the MLB Pipeline Top 100 Prospects list as according to Jim Callis (Tweet) he has now entered the list at #100.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 8:41 PM Post
So that's six in the top 100 with Hader barely off and Burnes just on the outside. Sure, some of these prospects have lost some of their shine, but not to the extent some would like to believe.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Baseball America Midseason Top 100 (MLB Pipeline Top 100 at Post #40)

Posted: July 25, 2017, 9:58 PM Post
Eye Black at Night said:
Apparently Isan Diaz was next man up in the MLB Pipeline Top 100 Prospects list as according to Jim Callis (Tweet) he has now entered the list at #100.

Corbin Burnes will be up next when someone graduates. Rosenbaum(one of the voters for said ranking) said Diaz/Burnes were literally back to back ranked.

So rest easy Burnes will be a Top 100 prospect.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2017, 10:03 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Eye Black at Night said:

Corbin Burnes will be up next when someone graduates. Rosenbaum(one of the voters for said ranking) said Diaz/Burnes were literally back to back ranked.

So rest easy Burnes will be a Top 100 prospect.

And then the people that want 7 top 100 prospects as opposed to 7 top 102 prospects can sleep easy at night.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 26, 2017, 6:38 PM Post
It's funny how people get caught up in someone's opinion of where a prospect ranks. The 2016 archive for MLB Pipeline had Diaz at 97 and he sits at 99 now but some folks on here want to act like that two spot drop is somehow earth shattering. There just isn't all that much difference between a guy ranked 70th and a guy ranked 100th on any of these lists. Sure, we all wish some of these guys had more dominant years but we are still talking about prospects that are the best of the best.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 59 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test