LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 44 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Aaron Wilkerson

Offline  Aaron Wilkerson

Posted: July 21, 2017, 3:19 PM Post
What more does this guy need to do to earn a shot at the big league level? He doesn't really look like he has anything left to prove at the minor league levels. I understand he doesn't throw very hard but I have to feel like he could at least take up a bullpen spot, eat multiple innings if needed, spot start.

Is he just not considered an MLB arm at this point? Has anybody seen him throw? Is he one of those guys that has lived off of great control in the minors but doesn't really have the stuff to get past MLB bats, or lacks command?

I guess maybe if the Brewers weren't in the position they are now he would be getting a shot.

If the Brewers were to swing some deals together in the upcoming days, he's a guy if I was the other team I'd ask for as a throw in.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Aaron Wilkerson

Posted: July 21, 2017, 3:26 PM Post
Guys with zero MLB track record aren't prime bullpen candidates in a postseason race. That is the biggest problem.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 21, 2017, 3:33 PM Post
He's just another AAAA arm in the mold of Paulo Espino, in my opinion.

There are at least 5 minor league arms I'd try out in the pen before turning to Wilkerson.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2017, 7:10 AM Post

Roster Guru
i can understand why wilkerson hasn't been promoted to the big leagues yet, but it's puzzling why he hasn't been given a shot at aaa this year.

biloxi's playoff chances are slim, whereas colorado springs' chances are very strong (magic number 4). perhaps when some aaa players are recalled in september, wilkerson will be asked to pitch for colorado springs in the playoffs?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2017, 2:22 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Wikerson isn't in AAA now for the same reason he wasn't at the beginning of the year: with his stuff, he's likely going to get crushed in Colorado Springs. His fastball only grazes 90 without significant movement, and he relies on a curveball. That's a recipe for high altitude disaster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 26, 2017, 4:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
I wonder if moving to the BP would get him up in the lower 90s? He has pitched well everywhere but AAA.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 27, 2017, 6:25 AM Post

Roster Guru
And That said:
(Wilkerson) isn't in AAA now for the same reason he wasn't at the beginning of the year: with his stuff, he's likely going to get crushed in Colorado Springs. His fastball only grazes 90 without significant movement, and he relies on a curveball. That's a recipe for high altitude disaster.

if used as a starting pitcher in the postseason, rick sweet could ensure that wilkerson pitched on the road. the first round, they would be playing games three - five in memphis. for the second round, they'd also be playing games three - five on the road.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 27, 2017, 2:09 PM Post
Wilkerson's numbers are too good to ignore. He needs some sort of audition with us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2017, 1:00 PM Post

Roster Guru
djoctagone said:
And That said:
(Wilkerson) isn't in AAA now for the same reason he wasn't at the beginning of the year: with his stuff, he's likely going to get crushed in Colorado Springs. His fastball only grazes 90 without significant movement, and he relies on a curveball. That's a recipe for high altitude disaster.

if used as a starting pitcher in the postseason, rick sweet could ensure that wilkerson pitched on the road. the first round, they would be playing games three - five in memphis. for the second round, they'd also be playing games three - five on the road.

i had that wrong . . . games one and two are on the road at memphis.

wilkerson is starting game two for colorado springs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2017, 1:42 PM Post
It's not always as easy as "just put him in the pen." He would be no different than Torres, Barnes, everyone else people constantly complain about. His value is that of an emergency starter. I think he's better than Espino, Milone, etc.

What you would get is a starter who may go 6-7 innings one day and have really good results, then a mediocre start or two, probably an awful start mixed in. Wilkerson (and Jungmann for that matter) serve a purpose next year if they're both still around. Guys that come up and spot start, or even go several starts if needed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2017, 2:23 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:
Wilkerson (and Jungmann for that matter) serve a purpose next year if they're both still around. Guys that come up and spot start, or even go several starts if needed.

Jungmann won't have any minor league options in 2018.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 8:17 PM Post
Wilkerson on fire tonight .....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 07, 2017, 8:59 PM Post
Release Garza already and give Wilkerson his spot on the 40 man after the AAA playoffs. He's earned it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 4:47 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Release Garza already and give Wilkerson his spot on the 40 man after the AAA playoffs. He's earned it.

I agree. I don't really care about earning it. But if he you think there is a chance he can help you, see what you got. The rebuild has been predicated on giving unknown and blocked commodities a chance (and acquiring as much talent as possible). Garza is the opposite of that. The results are predictable and the best you can hope for is mediocrity.
I'll even entertain the argument that the odds of success are the same between Garza and Wilkerson, but one has the upside of a controllable asset. If he fails, you fail, but at least you found out what you had. When Garza fails, we already knew what we had.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 6:51 AM Post
I agree we know Garza of no help at this point

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 6:56 AM Post
Barring a sudden turnaround starting this weekend, things are slipping away for this year. There's no reason not to give Wilkerson a look for a couple starts if the hopes for this year are dashed. Just wish he was a hitter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 1:11 PM Post
No point to adding Wilkerson until he's done with his playoff run.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 2:51 PM Post
There is a point because they need a starter Tuesday. Is he better than a bullpen game, maybe, but certainly worth thinking about. Would for sure trot him out there instead of Garza again at this point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 3:34 PM Post
Yea, I don't care about the "earning it" part either. But at this point, I can't see a good reason for Wilkerson NOT to replace Garza. Rebuilding year, or if they're tied for 1st- doesn't matter. I just don't want to see Garza get a another start, and Wilkerson seems to be the most logical person to take his spot at this point. I don't see a downside. And no, I care not what happens to the Sky Sox in the playoffs. They can always use Burnes , Ponce, Peralta, whoever. But the Sky Sox are there to support the Brewers, not the other way around.

As for Garza, if they feel it necessary to let the veteran save face, throw him on the 10 day DL. Strained quad, bruised ego, whatever.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 07, 2019, 3:32 PM Post

Roster Guru
nice performance today from wilkerson. 10 strikeouts and one walk in 5.0 innings. i know he's probably at the bottom of the depth chart to replace a starting pitcher, but if the brewers are truly looking for ways to limit the innings of corbin burnes, freddy peralta and brandon woodruff to 2019, he might not be a bad option to consider from time to time--especially if jimmy nelson is unable to return to form.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 44 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test