LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


Test
  
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 27 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Aaron Wilkerson

Author Message
Offline  Re: Aaron Wilkerson
#21

Posted: April 07, 2019, 4:24 PM Post
Posts: 3100
djoctagone said:
nice performance today from wilkerson. 10 strikeouts and one walk in 5.0 innings. i know he's probably at the bottom of the depth chart to replace a starting pitcher, but if the brewers are truly looking for ways to limit the innings of corbin burnes, freddy peralta and brandon woodruff to 2019, he might not be a bad option to consider from time to time--especially if jimmy nelson is unable to return to form.



Do you think it's at all possible the Brewers would go with a 6 man rotation once Nelson comes back? I think this would be an easier argument if they had the pen they expected with Hader-Knebel, Jeffress and then Wahl emerging as another high leverage reliever and then Guerra, Anderson, Albers and Claudio to round it out. But wouldn't this be a better would this be a better way of stretching these pitchers out and trying to limit their innings. It feels like the extra day of rest has led to some suggesting pitchers coming over from Japan have tired early, but I don't know how much there is to back that up.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Aaron Wilkerson
#22

Posted: April 08, 2019, 11:54 AM Post
Posts: 4013
HiAndTight said:
djoctagone said:
nice performance today from wilkerson. 10 strikeouts and one walk in 5.0 innings. i know he's probably at the bottom of the depth chart to replace a starting pitcher, but if the brewers are truly looking for ways to limit the innings of corbin burnes, freddy peralta and brandon woodruff to 2019, he might not be a bad option to consider from time to time--especially if jimmy nelson is unable to return to form.



Do you think it's at all possible the Brewers would go with a 6 man rotation once Nelson comes back? I think this would be an easier argument if they had the pen they expected with Hader-Knebel, Jeffress and then Wahl emerging as another high leverage reliever and then Guerra, Anderson, Albers and Claudio to round it out. But wouldn't this be a better would this be a better way of stretching these pitchers out and trying to limit their innings. It feels like the extra day of rest has led to some suggesting pitchers coming over from Japan have tired early, but I don't know how much there is to back that up.


I don't think that works with the staff as constructed, as it puts too much strain on too few quality bullpen options right now - plus it would screw with the more established starting pitcher schedules of Chacin, Davies, and in part Woodruff. What I think makes more sense when Nelson comes back is to play musical chairs with starts for 3-4 starting pitchers. The Brewers could easily go through a turn with Chacin, Nelson, Woodruff, Peralta, and Davies while having Burnes miss a start and remain in the pen as a relief option for a few appearances in that ~10 game stretch he doesn't make a start. Next time through the rotation he could switch roles with Woodruff, next time through it could be Peralta or even Nelson. On top of that, they could even give Anderson a few starts to have even more flexibility without having to burn options or start a AAA shuttle - that's all assuming injuries are largely avoided (fingers crossed).

It won't be a true 6 man rotation - they will stick with the 5 spots, but a few of those spots will consist of multiple starting pitchers even without having to tap into AAA starting options.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Aaron Wilkerson
#23

Posted: April 08, 2019, 10:28 PM Post
Posts: 624
Fear The Chorizo said:
HiAndTight said:
djoctagone said:
nice performance today from wilkerson. 10 strikeouts and one walk in 5.0 innings. i know he's probably at the bottom of the depth chart to replace a starting pitcher, but if the brewers are truly looking for ways to limit the innings of corbin burnes, freddy peralta and brandon woodruff to 2019, he might not be a bad option to consider from time to time--especially if jimmy nelson is unable to return to form.



Do you think it's at all possible the Brewers would go with a 6 man rotation once Nelson comes back? I think this would be an easier argument if they had the pen they expected with Hader-Knebel, Jeffress and then Wahl emerging as another high leverage reliever and then Guerra, Anderson, Albers and Claudio to round it out. But wouldn't this be a better would this be a better way of stretching these pitchers out and trying to limit their innings. It feels like the extra day of rest has led to some suggesting pitchers coming over from Japan have tired early, but I don't know how much there is to back that up.


I don't think that works with the staff as constructed, as it puts too much strain on too few quality bullpen options right now - plus it would screw with the more established starting pitcher schedules of Chacin, Davies, and in part Woodruff. What I think makes more sense when Nelson comes back is to play musical chairs with starts for 3-4 starting pitchers. The Brewers could easily go through a turn with Chacin, Nelson, Woodruff, Peralta, and Davies while having Burnes miss a start and remain in the pen as a relief option for a few appearances in that ~10 game stretch he doesn't make a start. Next time through the rotation he could switch roles with Woodruff, next time through it could be Peralta or even Nelson. On top of that, they could even give Anderson a few starts to have even more flexibility without having to burn options or start a AAA shuttle - that's all assuming injuries are largely avoided (fingers crossed).

It won't be a true 6 man rotation - they will stick with the 5 spots, but a few of those spots will consist of multiple starting pitchers even without having to tap into AAA starting options.



I wouldn't be worried about it messing with their normal schedule too much as there are plenty of times throughout a year where you have a day off and you'd have the same type of situation.

But I think you're right, if they had their full BP options, that'd be easier to navigate, but you have no clue what you're getting from anyone not named Hader right now.

If you could have gone with Guerra/Anderson/Wahl as your middle relievers, Hader to come in where needed and then Knebel and Jeffress to finish them off(maybe throw in Albers as well I guess as he's had success every other year lately+ a guy like Sanchez or whoever) it'd be so much easier.

As for now, I'd agree, it's too difficult without having your BP in place.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Aaron Wilkerson
#24

Posted: April 13, 2019, 9:23 AM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 2623
6.1 innings of two-hit ball from wilkerson last night. 0.79 era and 0.62 whip through two starts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Aaron Wilkerson
#25

Posted: April 13, 2019, 12:09 PM Post
Posts: 2754
I don't know if it matters all that much what he does in the minors anymore as he already has been labeled a AAAA guy by some. He will have to prove it in the majors when he gets his opportunity and that should happen at some point this year since he is already on the 40 man.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Aaron Wilkerson
#26

Posted: April 13, 2019, 2:23 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6353
Outlander said:
I don't know if it matters all that much what he does in the minors anymore as he already has been labeled a AAAA guy by some. He will have to prove it in the majors when he gets his opportunity and that should happen at some point this year since he is already on the 40 man.


Wouldn't a AAAA guy, by common definition, be an advanced-age guy who shows well in AAA, but hasn't shown enough in his big league opportunities to stick? If that is the case, a picture of Wilkerson (who turns 30 next month) might as well be next to the Wikipedia entry. I would say the chance is just as high that he's dropped from the 40-man as he pitches for the Brewers this year. The fact that they decided not to call him up in September last year after the AAA season concluded, I think, was pretty telling on how they feel about his future chance to make an impact.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Aaron Wilkerson
#27

Posted: April 13, 2019, 2:29 PM Post
Posts: 2055
Houser I think has fixed himself above Wilkerson in pecking order but sure we will see him at some point. At his age when you get chances you need to shine. He hasn’t in limited opportunities & has done nothing to break AAAA stereotype. He could be serviceable and good depth but don’t think he will ever be in rotation. Upside just not there.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 27 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test