LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2017 Mid-Season Edition

Offline  Re: BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2017 Mid-Season Edition

Posted: August 12, 2017, 9:29 PM Post
Great job as always. But Brandon Woodward?

I'm kind of with Never Outhustled on this one. Looking back at my list, the one who I have ahead of Ray that I probably should not have is Ponce. But you could make a good argument for Dubon (same age, AAA), T. Clark (much younger, same level but better production, 1st round pick), Bickford (at A+ as 20-year-old, 1st round pick), Peralta (younger, better numbers at higher level), T. Williams (better numbers, higher level, highly regarded), I. Diaz (younger, same level), K. Hiura (#9 overall pick), B. Phillips (same age, majors), and then it gets really hard to argue Ray over Burnes, Ortiz, Brinson, Hader, and Woodruff.

I think you could also make a good argument for M. Harrison being ahead of Ray too - he wasn't a 1st round pick likely due to his college football commitment, and he got 1st round money to sign, so the talent and certainly athleticism are there too. In reality, Ray could easily and maybe should be ranked in the high teens. Athleticism is nice, but job #1 is to hit the baseball. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter.

I think it was Mass who posted a scouting report on Ray and Clark yesterday or the day before, and it wasn't flattering for either. Had both as a 50. But just about everyone is struggling there, so I wonder how good of a hitting coach they have there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 13, 2017, 7:51 AM Post
reillymcshane said:
Outlander said:
Thanks Reilly, a couple of things I found interesting:

Our 9-11 ranked players (Ray/Clark/Dubon) were each left off a ballot.
Stokes had the lowest amount of people voting for him than any player in the top 25 and he ended up at #22. 33 of 61 ballots.
Lara went from being on 58 ballots last summer to 1 ballot this summer.

Yeah, Stokes was weird. He was ignored by a lot of people, but pretty high on others. He's kind of flown under the radar up to now - but that will change.

As for people not being on ballots -- that happens. Sometimes it's a mistake. Sometimes it's just a person being weird. In the end, you just have to shrug and move on.

At the start of the season, I had Stokes at 16, noting, "Quietly showing OBP skills, speed, and gap power."

This year, he was #3, behind the dominating Burnes and Hader, whose floor is as a dominating closer. I think he has probably the most complete offensive skill set of any outfielder in the Brewers system. I fully expect he'll start at Colorado Springs.

As for why some folks aren't on my ballot: It's either injuries or suspensions in some cases. In others, I think there are other players whose numbers warrant it. Cooper Hummel's quietly flashed superb OBP skills and some power at Carolina in limited PAs. Plus, he's a switch-hitter. Hummel may be no more than a #2 catcher, but a .757 OPS is not bad when its SLG baseline is a .239 batting average.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 13, 2017, 1:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
Thanks as always Reilly for putting in the time & effort it must take to put this all together.

As apparently the lone Lara voter let me offer my reasoning. As others have noted there were plenty of candidates for the final few spots & for me it came down to him still being young & having the highest upside of any of the other candidates for those same last few spots, even if his likelihood of reaching that upside isn't looking so great right now. When he hits 50 bombs for the Brewers in 2020 I can use it as proof of my <bluefont>clearly superior baseball intellect</bluefont>.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 14, 2017, 2:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
Great job as always. But Brandon Woodward?

Thanks for the catch. After typing in 60-70 names there's usually a mistake or two.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 14, 2017, 2:39 PM Post
Global Moderator
sveumrules said:
Thanks as always Reilly for putting in the time & effort it must take to put this all together.

As apparently the lone Lara voter let me offer my reasoning. As others have noted there were plenty of candidates for the final few spots & for me it came down to him still being young & having the highest upside of any of the other candidates for those same last few spots, even if his likelihood of reaching that upside isn't looking so great right now. When he hits 50 bombs for the Brewers in 2020 I can use it as proof of my <bluefont>clearly superior baseball intellect</bluefont>.

To me Lara was really hard to justify a spot. He has just shown nothing in several years, and while he has great physical tools, he doesn't it doesn't seem like he's going to translate those tools into baseball tools. I hope something 'clicks' for him soon.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 14, 2017, 3:22 PM Post
sveumrules said:

I think myself and everyone else on this board will gladly let you rub this in our face in 2020 if you are correct.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 21, 2017, 11:20 AM Post
And That said:
Bold prediction: Carlos Rodriguez will be in the top 20 by this time next season.

It would take quite a bit including probably starting stateside. Carmona, for example, was a top 30 international signing and had a fine DSL summer, but couldnt get a vote. Speaking of Carmona:
Eric Longenhagen, Fangraphs said:
Also of note on Milwaukee’s AZL club was shortstop Jean Carmona who came to the states after hitting .300/.400/.446 in the DSL and has played just 4 AZL games. He’s twitchy, acrobatic, and has great defensive footwork at shortstop, as well as enough arm to stay there

Also Bickford and Lemons notes in the link.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 21, 2017, 12:31 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I'd have to look for the tweet, but Bill Mitchell made an Orlando Arcia comp for Carmona.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 21, 2017, 1:23 PM Post
And That said:
I'd have to look for the tweet, but Bill Mitchell made an Orlando Arcia comp for Carmona.

Bill Mitchell‏
@billazbbphotog

Newest AZL sleeper is #Brewers 17-yo SS Jean Carmona, just up from DSL. Brief look last night, but saw sparkling defensive play. Arcia comps
12:34 PM - 19 Aug 2017

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 22, 2017, 6:55 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
John Sickels revisits his Brewers pre-season Top 20 (and a few others)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 12:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
BA has their minor league all star team. The Brewers are represented by Corbin Burnes, who made first team:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... -star-team

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2017, 1:08 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
BA has their minor league all star team. The Brewers are represented by Corbin Burnes, who made first team:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... -star-team

Congrats to Danny Jansen being named 1st team Catcher! Danny is an Appleton kid, and I'm rooting for him!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 05, 2017, 8:07 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm going to get together things in the next week or two to begin our 2017 post-season prospect poll.

This one does not usually have a ton of participation, and there often isn't a lot of movement from our August poll, but that's okay. It's still fun.

I know Josh Hader isn't at 50 IP yet, but I am going to graduate him from our list. He's been in the majors for more than 1/2 a year, and is at 47.2 IP - it's pretty clear he's no longer a rookie.

What do people think about Brandon Woodruff? He's at 43 IP. I don't think he's guaranteed a spot on the club next spring, so don't really think I want to 'graduate' him from our rookie list just yet. I'm leaning toward keeping him as a prospect for our purposes - but please make your argument if you think he should not be.

Otherwise, no one else has graduated from our Top 25, so there won't be a huge difference than the August poll.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 05, 2017, 8:36 AM Post
I feel if someone is eligible for the 2018 ROY then they should be on the list. If player is not eligible for the award then they should not be part of the ranking.

Any insight from the Brewers themselves (via back channels) if Hader or Woodruff would be eligible??

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 05, 2017, 8:56 AM Post
Hader is not eligible, Woodruff is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 05, 2017, 9:10 AM Post
With Nelson's injury I'd be shocked if Woodruff doesn't make the club. Anderson, Davies, Woodruff, Hader, Suter, Guerra, and Wilkerson are the only internal options with any major league experience right now. Not a lot to choose from.

I do agree with the ROY eligibility standard.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 05, 2017, 10:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
MadThinker88 said:
I feel if someone is eligible for the 2018 ROY then they should be on the list. If player is not eligible for the award then they should not be part of the ranking.

Any insight from the Brewers themselves (via back channels) if Hader or Woodruff would be eligible??

Hader has graduated simply based on service time. You need 45 days (outside of DL time or expanded rosters).

Relievers are generally the main issue - it takes them a while to reach 50 IP - but they get the 45 days pretty quickly. However, a lot of relievers aren't usually top 25 type guys, so it's not really been much of an issue for us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 05, 2017, 10:51 AM Post
Global Moderator
PS - I appreciate people sharing their opinions. It does help.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 05, 2017, 11:05 AM Post
I'd be surprised if the Brewers wanted to burn an option on Woodruff to start 2018. Seems like kind of a waste.

I'm ok with graduating both Hader and Woodruff from the list, as they both seem like they've established themselves as Major League players for 2018.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 05, 2017, 10:07 PM Post
Hader out. Woodruff in. I don't see reason to do it any other way.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test