LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Arizona Fall League - Erceg, Ray, Gatewood, Harrison; Latest: Four Pitchers Announced

Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League candidates

Posted: August 29, 2017, 2:36 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Those rules are out of date. Two players are allowed that were not on a AA/AAA/MLB roster as of August 15th.

Here are about the best version of the current rules:

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3812

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 29, 2017, 2:50 PM Post
If I'm reading those rules correctly (and they are correct), it seems like a team could assign as many as four players from below AA as long as at least two are from the A+ roster. That would seem to open the door for Bickford.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 29, 2017, 2:56 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
CheeseheadInQC said:
If I'm reading those rules correctly (and they are correct), it seems like a team could assign as many as four players from below AA as long as at least two are from the A+ roster. That would seem to open the door for Bickford.

You're right. My brain skipped over that one. Good catch!

So I will once again be surprised if Bickford is not on the AFL roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 29, 2017, 3:37 PM Post
Well, that changes things. It looks like four can be from below AA, but at least two of them have to be from A+.

Surprised they sent both Gatewood and Erceg, as they are both 3B. I would have thought the Brewers would want to get Gatewood extra reps at 3B. Erceg will limit that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 29, 2017, 6:38 PM Post
LouisEly, Gatewood is pretty much a 1b who has recently played some 3b again. Perhaps he's at 1b, or perhaps he's not a priority player and is there to DH and play all over.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 29, 2017, 7:55 PM Post
Some 3B? Every game at AA he's played 3B (16 games), except for one game as DH. I wouldn't call that "some" 3B.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 6:10 AM Post
So 4 pitchers, 2 of which could be <AA.

I'll go Bickford, T.Williams, B.Derby & J.Yamamota

btw, couple these with the position players and I don't think the Brewers have ever sent such a true prospect laden group to the AZFL.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 6:30 AM Post
They've been pretty careful already with Williams' innings, not sure what their plan is for him this fall/winter but AFL seems like it might be too much.

Bickford seems like a near-certainty. I'll go with Ortiz, QTC, and Derby for the other 3 slots.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 8:06 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Williams could be an option on the MLB roster in September. They could easily control his innings while getting some big league experience under his belt. He's already burned his option and the service time argument has never really swayed me. Plus you know, he could help the bullpen. Which is the same reason I'm in favor of calling up Freddy Peralta now.

I'll go with Bickford, either Barker or Hanhold, Houser (he'd just have to be activated from the DL at the end of the season), and they always seem to send a random reliever, so Archer, Torres-Costa, or Ramirez (if they re-sign him/add him to the 40-man).

They could actually send more than four pitchers and use Bickford as a "taxi squad" guy, assuming they want him to start. He'd only be eligible to play two games per week, but if he's starting that's all he'd be pitching anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 8:27 AM Post
I'm going with Bickford, Perrin (about 50 innings behind last year), Ortiz (right now same innings as last year, would like to add 20-25 more), and one of Houser/QTC.

Houser went three innings in his last start, not sure if he's far enough along or if the Brewers would prefer to monitor him and his rehab in fall instructionals.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 8:30 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Houser would need medical clearance and be "unrestricted" before he'd be allowed in the AFL and he's currently at a 45-pitch limit. That being said, there are still five weeks before the AFL season begins, so that is five weeks of rehab for Houser. I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect him to be able to go 75-85 pitches by the end of that timeframe. 75 pitches is probably unrestricted enough for the AFL. Bickford has already been cleared and he's currently at 60 pitches.

The Brewers also may not want to push him that far, but as a 40-man guy who has already burned two options, I'd think they would want him to face better competition than instructionals. We'll see.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 8:45 AM Post
Houser was in the majors at age 22, and the Brewers sent him to the AFL after that 2015 season, so I think they already have a decent idea of how he would fare against AFL competition. The only question is rehab and being medically ready.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 9:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
Some 3B? Every game at AA he's played 3B (16 games), except for one game as DH. I wouldn't call that "some" 3B.

He's played 80 games at 1B this year, 30 at 3B. I would call that 'some'.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 11:41 AM Post
reillymcshane said:
LouisEly said:

He's played 80 games at 1B this year, 30 at 3B. I would call that 'some'.

He played 1B at Carolina because Erceg is really only a 3B.

He plays 3B at Biloxi because DeMuth is really only a 1B.

He's clearly capable of playing both, regardless of how many games he's played at either spot this season. Stearns values positional flexibility, I'd be very surprised if as an organization they didn't consider Gatewood equally capable of playing 1B/3B at this point.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 12:06 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Gatewood's long term home is pretty clearly first base, IMO. He plays really good to outstanding defense there. At third, his arm is above average but he has limited range that will not get better as he fills out his gigantic frame.

Erceg is the more athletic of the two, played some shortstop in instructs, and could probably handle second if given adequate time there. I think he absolutely sticks at third. Good range, superlative arm.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2017, 3:32 PM Post
Monte has been added to the roster as well.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League - Erceg, Ray, Gatewood, Harrison thus far

Posted: September 13, 2017, 7:35 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Via Adam McCalvy (and other online confirmations) --

"Milwaukee rounded out its Arizona Fall League participants with RHP's Adrian Houser, Nate Griep, Jon Perrin and LHP Quintin Torres-Costa. For Houser, it's an opportunity to compile innings, as the former Top 30 prospect continues his comeback from Tommy John surgery.

The Brewers had previously named four position players to the prospect-rich league: outfielders Monte Harrison and Corey Ray and infielders Lucas Erceg and Jake Gatewood."

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League - Erceg, Ray, Gatewood, Harrison thus far

Posted: September 13, 2017, 7:37 PM Post
That feels like the most loaded group of prospects we've sent to the Fall league in a single year.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League - Erceg, Ray, Gatewood, Harrison; Latest: Four Pitchers Announced

Posted: September 13, 2017, 10:31 PM Post
It will be interesting to see post-surgery Houser against better competition. I got to see him the last game of the season when the Bandits were in the Quad Cities, and he was just dominating guys. Almost every pitch was a strike, and it seemed like he was saying "Why mess around when I know you can't hit me."

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League - Erceg, Ray, Gatewood, Harrison; Latest: Four Pitchers Announced

Posted: September 14, 2017, 7:07 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
BrewCrewBall follows up with additional details on the four arms.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test