LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 105 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2018

Offline  Re: Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2018
Posted: December 14, 2018, 12:17 AM Post
reillymcshane said:
Every year we go through this with the Rule 5 draft. We fret over losing a specific player or three, and in the end, nothing usually (I stress usually) happens.

I think every fan overvalues their own guys. They get swayed that Player A is really good due to some reason or another, and are convinced the rest of the world sees how good the player is as well. Truth is, these guys are fringe players - at best. Every team has their share of them. And in the end, the situation really just has to be right for a team to be willing to keep these guys on a roster all season. It doesn't mean you don't go after these guys, as there are always diamonds in the rough, but no point in putting time and money and energy into a guy that isn't likely to make your roster.

Yah, I was convinced for two years running that Tyler Cravy was going to be picked. While I haven't looked closely enough to see this year, generally there are types that go, especially among pitchers (the loogy, the 100 mph guy, the massive K rate/massive walk rate guy) and Olczak (or the guy I was a bit concerned about, Harber) didn't really fit neatly into any of them.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 14, 2018, 11:55 AM Post
sveumrules said:
clancyphile said:
reillymcshane said:
I'm betting someone snags Olczak. At worst, they give him a long look in spring training. A non-playoff team can afford to let him take some lumps.

I can't fathom the Crew not protecting him. Let Cedeno/Jennings go to free up the spot, but this was just poor roster management.

Does it still qualify as poor roster management now that Olczak wasn't selected or is it possible Stearns & company just had the market accurately gauged all along?

I think it was an unnecessary risk that thankfully didn't come back to bite the Crew.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 15, 2018, 3:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
clancyphile said:
I think it was an unnecessary risk that thankfully didn't come back to bite the Crew.

But maybe it still will. Maybe he won't ever amount to anything and he will waste a roster spot.

This will be an annual problem for the Brewers for quite a while. We have a lot of C+ types that we will risk exposing in the draft because we don't have enough 40 man spots.

I'm sure we will lose some ok players at times, but most of the time Rule 5 players don't amount to much.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 16, 2018, 4:17 PM Post
Wouldn’t call it unnecessary risk at all. Those guys up stairs are way more informed than any of us arm chair GMs. If DS though he was worthy of a 40 man spot & needed to be protected.... he would have been. Fact that no team took a flier on him goes to show, that no team thought he was ready and worthy of spot at this point. Don’t handstring yourself with 40 man roster if you don’t need to. Olczak could be a good RP but right now he isn’t knocking on enough or has starred enough to need that spot

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 17, 2018, 6:18 AM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
Wouldn’t call it unnecessary risk at all. Those guys up stairs are way more informed than any of us arm chair GMs. If DS though he was worthy of a 40 man spot & needed to be protected.... he would have been. Fact that no team took a flier on him goes to show, that no team thought he was ready and worthy of spot at this point. Don’t handstring yourself with 40 man roster if you don’t need to. Olczak could be a good RP but right now he isn’t knocking on enough or has starred enough to need that spot

This is why I like Tyrone Taylor so much. The front office seems to value his talents a little more than this board does.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 105 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test