LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2018

Offline  Re: Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2018

Posted: November 11, 2018, 9:49 AM Post
Kratz and Suter could easily be moved off the 40 man. Wilkerson too. However, I agree there are not too many players that need to be added. Only ones for sure, IMO, are Supak and Stokes. I could get on board with Olzak and even Derby to help fill out the pen rotation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2018, 12:26 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:
In the end, I'll roll with the Supak and Olczak prediction only.

OK, I see you, Troy Stokes [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2018, 1:07 PM Post
Mass Haas said:
Mass Haas said:
In the end, I'll roll with the Supak and Olczak prediction only.

OK, I see you, Troy Stokes [smile]

Stokes is someone they need to protect, even if they have to DFA someone to do it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2018, 1:20 PM Post
I am thinking that Stokes will either be protected or packaged in a trade prior to the draft. He is too talented to risk being exposed in the draft. Stokes has quite a bit of value as a second or third piece in a bigger trade.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2018, 1:57 PM Post
I’ll guess:
Lock: Trey Supak
Likely: Troy Stokes
Pick one of two: Jon Olczak, Conor Harber
Wild card: QTC
25/75 against: Jake Gatewood, Nathan Kirby, Max McDowell, Cody Ponce
Unlikely but not inconceivable: Devin Williams, Phil Bickford, Bubba Derby

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2018, 5:27 PM Post
RollieTime said:
I am thinking that Stokes will either be protected or packaged in a trade prior to the draft. He is too talented to risk being exposed in the draft. Stokes has quite a bit of value as a second or third piece in a bigger trade.

Someone earlier noted that Stokes to the A's might be a match... in a way, Stokes is arguably a Khris Davis who can play defense. The big difference: Stokes was drafted by the Brewers out of high school, and developed his power later in his professional career (years three and four).

If anything, he is a legit OF bench option... and I like him over Taylor for his OBP skills.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2018, 9:55 AM Post
clancyphile said:
RollieTime said:

Someone earlier noted that Stokes to the A's might be a match... in a way, Stokes is arguably a Khris Davis who can play defense. The big difference: Stokes was drafted by the Brewers out of high school, and developed his power later in his professional career (years three and four).

If anything, he is a legit OF bench option... and I like him over Taylor for his OBP skills.

Clancy, I remember you were in on Stokes years ago when no one was talking about him, good call

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2018, 1:15 PM Post
billymac said:
clancyphile said:

Clancy, I remember you were in on Stokes years ago when no one was talking about him, good call

Stokes has managed to exceed my expectations. I had him pegged as a Brady Clark type, a 4th OF who could bring OBP skills, some speed, and doubles power. I didn't expect him to develop the power he has.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2018, 1:31 PM Post
Robert Murray
Verified account
@ByRobertMurray
1m1 minute ago
#Brewers have added OF Troy Stokes Jr. and RHP Trey Supak to the 40-man roster, protecting them from Rule 5 eligibility, source tells The Athletic.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2018, 1:37 PM Post
TheJumpAround said:
Robert Murray
Verified account
@ByRobertMurray
1m1 minute ago
#Brewers have added OF Troy Stokes Jr. and RHP Trey Supak to the 40-man roster, protecting them from Rule 5 eligibility, source tells The Athletic.

Mark my words, I bet it will be Taylor, not Stokes, who is dealt.

Interestingly, they have an open 40-man space...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2018, 1:54 PM Post
TheJumpAround said:
Robert Murray
Verified account
@ByRobertMurray
1m1 minute ago

Interesting. I really thought a second pitcher would be added as well, assuming this is the full list. There are a fair number of guys who it wouldn’t be entirely shocking to see picked, but no one like Diaz who was nearly a lock.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2018, 2:02 PM Post
Would not be surprised if Stearns still adds another player, by the end of the day either within the organization or by trading for a 40 man guy from another team that would otherwise be DFA.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2018, 2:33 PM Post
Outlander said:
Would not be surprised if Stearns still adds another player, by the end of the day either within the organization or by trading for a 40 man guy from another team that would otherwise be DFA.

One high-contact catcher I've liked isn't on the Mets' 40-man roster, though... [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2018, 8:05 AM Post
Question? If they put Olczak on the 40 man roster, and then loved someone from another team they wanted to draft. Could they then drop a Jennings/Kratz/Saladino/Wilkerson to draft that player? Or if you are at 40 today, you can't draft anyone?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2018, 8:14 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
You can draft as many players in the Rule 5 as you have open 40-man spots. You can clear 40-man space up to the day of the draft.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2018, 9:14 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Here are the players the Brewers protected from the AAA phase of the Rule 5 draft, but can be selected in the MLB phase:

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2018, 9:15 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Here are the players the Brewers did not protect from the AAA phase of the Rule 5 draft - they can be selected by any other team for $24,000 and their new team inherits the remainder of the current minor league contract:

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2018, 11:19 AM Post
So the Brewers AAA roster is at 30. Per Cots, the AAA roster can have up to 38 players on it. What is the downside to filling up the roster further? I presume you need to have spots open in order to pick players in the AAA phase of the Rule 5, but 8 would seem to be excessive. I see no requirement that the players have to stay at the AAA level; the Brewers can reassign at will in the minors after the draft.

Not that these are great prospects or anything, but a guy like Luna, Owenby, Ortega, or Kuntz could have value. It does not say too much about what the Brewers think of these guys. I believe it is rare that a player selected in the minor league phase of the draft turns out to be something but it can happen. Justin Bour in was selected by the Marlins from the AA Cubs roster and has had an impact in the major leagues.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2018, 11:48 AM Post
ClosetBrewerFan said:
So the Brewers AAA roster is at 30. Per Cots, the AAA roster can have up to 38 players on it. What is the downside to filling up the roster further? I presume you need to have spots open in order to pick players in the AAA phase of the Rule 5, but 8 would seem to be excessive. I see no requirement that the players have to stay at the AAA level; the Brewers can reassign at will in the minors after the draft.

Not that these are great prospects or anything, but a guy like Luna, Owenby, Ortega, or Kuntz could have value. It does not say too much about what the Brewers think of these guys. I believe it is rare that a player selected in the minor league phase of the draft turns out to be something but it can happen. Justin Bour in was selected by the Marlins from the AA Cubs roster and has had an impact in the major leagues.

Owenby, who I had rated highly, seemed to have vanished. Ortega missed a lot of time with TJ, and 2019 is a bit of a "prove it" year for him. His control was still there, but he got hammered.

I see the minor-league Rule 5 as a way to find some gems. The Crew had a lot of unsigned picks in the 2018 draft... this could help fill their minor-league rosters.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 21, 2018, 4:01 PM Post
Most of the names on the unprotected list have either missed most of all of two seasons with injuries, struggled last year and were on the fringes of the roster or both. That makes Kuntz' name stand out. It seems like he would have made either the AA or AAA roster, but then I guess there haven't been many minor league free agent signings yet either.

That he made the cut is probably a vote of confidence for Spurlin, who could have slotted in with the injured on the unprotected list, as well as Preston Gainey (still have foolish hope there).

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test