LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2018

Offline  Re: Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2018

Posted: November 21, 2018, 5:12 PM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:
Most of the names on the unprotected list have either missed most of all of two seasons with injuries, struggled last year and were on the fringes of the roster or both. That makes Kuntz' name stand out. It seems like he would have made either the AA or AAA roster, but then I guess there haven't been many minor league free agent signings yet either.

That he made the cut is probably a vote of confidence for Spurlin, who could have slotted in with the injured on the unprotected list, as well as Preston Gainey (still have foolish hope there).

Kuntz is pretty old for the Southern League - he's 26, I think.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 11:25 AM Post
And That said:
You can draft as many players in the Rule 5 as you have open 40-man spots. You can clear 40-man space up to the day of the draft.

Seems to me if the Brewers knew they were going to drop Lyles and Cedeno, they should have protected Olczak.

I sure hope no one takes him, as I can see him being on the AAA up and down shuttle next year with Houser+. A couple of months of seasoning in AAA and the Brewers will have figured out if Albers and whatever other retread(s) they sign to try in the pen are going to work out or not. I guess Wilkerson can be the low leverage inning eater.

Albers?, Barnes, Houser, Jeffress, Hader, Knebel, Williams, Guerra. Need one more, minimum.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 11:29 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I am a little surprised that Olczak wasn't protected, but his upside is that of a solid reliever, not necessarily a high-leverage guy. He has an above average curve but his fastball isn't a plus pitch at his point and his command needs work. Solid reliever upside doesn't usually profile as something you'd spend a Rule 5 pick on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 06, 2018, 8:20 PM Post
the rule 5 draft should be fun to see if the Brewers add someone have to figure it be an Arm

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2018, 12:18 PM Post
Jonathan Mayo did a little write up ahead of the Rule 5 Draft this Thursday and listed 10 players to watch for. Included in those 10 were Jake Gatewood and Jon Olczak of the Brewers.
https://www.mlb.com/news/top-names-to-w ... -301683078

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2018, 4:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm betting someone snags Olczak. At worst, they give him a long look in spring training. A non-playoff team can afford to let him take some lumps.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2018, 7:15 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
I'm betting someone snags Olczak. At worst, they give him a long look in spring training. A non-playoff team can afford to let him take some lumps.

I can't fathom the Crew not protecting him. Let Cedeno/Jennings go to free up the spot, but this was just poor roster management.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2018

Posted: December 11, 2018, 7:33 PM Post
clancyphile said:
reillymcshane said:

I can't fathom the Crew not protecting him. Let Cedeno/Jennings go to free up the spot, but this was just poor roster management.

They obviously have a plan, whether it's signing free agents, making trades or taking a Rule 5 guy of their own to fill up their 40-man roster. Olczak is a marginal relief prospect. He may eventually turn into something, but there's probably a lot better chance that he won't.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2018, 7:38 PM Post
And That said:
I am a little surprised that Olczak wasn't protected, but his upside is that of a solid reliever, not necessarily a high-leverage guy. He has an above average curve but his fastball isn't a plus pitch at his point and his command needs work. Solid reliever upside doesn't usually profile as something you'd spend a Rule 5 pick on.

Depends. I look at the Mets and see a team that just needs a 3B and a couple of bullpen arms to be a legitimate contender. Picking up a reliever might be right in their wheelhouse.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2018, 9:05 PM Post
I think DS has someone he looking at in rule 5

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2018, 9:35 PM Post
https://twitter.com/prospectslive/statu ... 91200?s=21
This is somebody I think the Brewers will (or should) look at for their pick. Similar type of pitcher to some we’ve had recently, but there’s something there. Had a great 2017, rocky 2018 but he reached AA. Stuff is there and it’s nasty. Needs refinement but this could be a risk worth taking in my opinion.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 12, 2018, 7:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
Reminder that speculation of who the Brewers might select is on going in this Transaction Rumors Forum Thread.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  [ 92 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test