Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 50 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2018 Mid-Season Edition

Offline  Re: BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2018 Mid-Season Edition

Posted: August 16, 2018, 5:46 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
sveumrules said:
FanGraphs updated their sortable prospect board (viewable under the Leaders tab) after the trade deadline. Every prospect with a Future Value of 35+ or greater is listed.

It’s imporant to note than FG’s FV/OFP grades generally skew quite a bit lower in general than other sources. They hand out a lot more 40s and 35s than Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus. When I look at my OFP database, the FanGraphs grade will be the lowest grade about 1-2 to 2/3 of the time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 16, 2018, 7:57 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
The FanGraphs board lists Jorge Lopez (traded to KC) and Nick Iverson (draft pick that didn't sign) with the Brewers, so maybe take the FG lists for what they're worth.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2018, 4:38 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
Remember, the have not only traded several high ranking prospects, they've had several graduate. And another (Burnes) will graduate by month's end.

Woodruff, Peralta, Taylor Williams, Burnes - that represents a big chunk of our upper level arms.

Add in the trades - Ortiz, Phillips, Medeiros, Carmona - and you've had a lot of talent leave. That's three top 100 guys (Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta) and a couple of other Top 10 organizational guys (Phillips, Ortiz) and a couple of Top 20 org guys (Carmona, Medeiros).

And let's not forget the Yelich deal. We lost some big prospects there.

Systems will go through this kind of thing every few years. We happened to graduate a lot of guys of late - and it dings our system. The main thing is to keep adding talent through the draft, which I think we have done. Lutz has the makings of a premiere prospect. And Zack Brown made huge strides this year, similar to jumps we saw from Burnes, Woodruff and Peralta the last couple of seasons. Perhaps someone else - like Braden Webb or Adrian Houser - makes that move next year.

I also think that - due to the more even playing ground teams have in this area - we'll start seeing more prospects from Latin America. Before, we were so outspent in developing players from Latin America - it was really a joke. But that's evening out, and I think we'll see some of these guys make some noise.

The key is hitting on some of our top picks. We can't have multiple years of failure after failure in the draft. That's what killed this club a few years back. We just didn't develop enough good players - and we missed on a lot of our top picks.

The key, of course, is to put as much resources into scouting as possible so that the Crew hits far more often than they miss.

I feel confident about some of the system in recent years, especially looking at the last four drafts prior to this one.
2014: Meideros brought Soria, Harrison and Yamamoto helped bring Yelich. Gatewood was putting it together until his injury, Sneed brought Villar who helped bring Schoop. Woodruff has been a top rotation prospect for the Crew, and Troy Stokes has become a very good OF prospect who I think could be great.

2015: Grisham, Orimoloye, and Kirby are all in a wait-and-see mode right now. Drake Owenby looked good, I thought, but he's dropped off the face of the earth this year. A real Suter-esque steal could be Quintin Torres-Costa - a 35th round pick who looks like a solid bullpen arm.

2016: Corbin Burnes has been a big contributor this season. Ray and Erceg both look very solid. Zack Brown has exploded on the scene, Braden Webb looks intriguing, Gabriel Garcia has flashed very interesting stuff. So has Weston Wilson. Cooper Hummel is moving up my list as a catcher. Payton Henry and Chad McClanahan also look to be very interesting as well. Cameron Roegner may be the real surprise of this draft.

2017: Hiura, Lutz, and KJ Harrison all look good, and Dallas Carroll quietly has emerged as a walks and doubles type of hitter. Je'Von Ward looks very exciting, and Cody Beckman could be another Hader.

And in 2018, I think both Bello and Turang are looking very good as OBP/speed guys. I LOVE David Fry and Ashby.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 27, 2018, 4:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
Corbin Burnes has graduated from prospect status by serving more than 45 days on the major league roster.

Burnes was our #2 prospect the last three polls.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 27, 2018, 8:02 PM Post
Brown, Webb, and Roegner are in the same year as him... all looking like very good rotation prospects.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2018, 2:55 PM Post
clancyphile said:
Brown, Webb, and Roegner are in the same year as him... all looking like very good rotation prospects.

Webb has the highest ceiling out of the 3 I think if he can figure out command on regular basis. Feel Brown is the safest bet to help rotation. Similar makeup has Burnes in that he commands stuff well, attacks hitters, has multiple pitches he can throw in any count. I don’t know what Brewers did with guys like Woodruff & Brown who had great arms but zero command in college.... because they really turned them around

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2018, 7:34 AM Post
Don't know if anyone noticed the update over at rotographs/ fangraphs so I wanted to bring it some attention.

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/milwa ... s-updated/

its lists a top 10 & 3 just missing. Enjoy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2018, 9:21 PM Post
MadThinker88 said:
Don't know if anyone noticed the update over at rotographs/ fangraphs so I wanted to bring it some attention.

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/milwa ... s-updated/

its lists a top 10 & 3 just missing. Enjoy.

Worth noting though that it's not made by their prospect writers. Their most recent work can be found on THE BOARD. I'd expect that writeups will come at some point after the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 18, 2018, 9:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'd guess their current BOARD rankings may change slightly between now & when the actual team lists comes out after the season, but for now it looks like they are still pretty high on Grisham/Feliciano (#6/#7 vs #18/#21 here) & are maybe not quite jumping on The Zack Brown Bandwagon just yet (#12, 3rd pitcher behind Lemons/Houser vs #6 here & #1 pitcher left on the board).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 11, 2018, 12:43 PM Post
Joe
2:27 Any standouts from Brewers Instructs?
Eric A Longenhagen
2:28 Several. Ashby, Daniel Castillo, Eddy Garcia, Turang, Zhao

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 50 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test