LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


Test
  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 126 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Arizona Fall League

Author Message
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#21

Posted: September 03, 2018, 4:48 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5558
And That said:
Miguel Sanchez gets good movement on his fastball/slider/change combo. Fastball gets up to 94-95. Throws from a low 3/4 arm angle with crossfire, which adds deception to the movement. Throws a few different kinds of sliders, one sweeping and the other tighter. The tighter slider can be a plus offering. Changeup isn't plus, but he's not afraid to use it either. Been one of my favorites since early last year. Same as with Olczak, I think he's a big league pitcher and has a bit more upside than Jon. When he keeps the ball down, he's been straight dominant at times.

Sanchez has struck out 13 per 9 this year - that's Peralta-type numbers.

What's really interesting is that he wasn't signed until he was 22 years old. No real record of him pitching in organized ball before that, and no mention of him in the International Signing thread for 2016. I don't know how you slip through the cracks like that, but I'm glad the Brewers found him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#22

Posted: September 05, 2018, 10:19 AM Post
Posts: 1766
Greenleaf1 said:
Intrigued by them sending Derby. Guessing that means he'll get a 40-man spot this fall?


I kind of assume the Brewers may trade away Chacin (while value is high) or Anderson (save some $ for Schoop/Soria/Moose/Miley/FA), and not retain Miley. If so, I would protect Derby as a backup, backup plan for a starter spot next year.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#23

Posted: September 08, 2018, 7:00 AM Post
Posts: 667
Not much love for Derby, being a consistent starter in the altitude of Colorado Springs. He is still relatively young for the level.

What do people not like about him?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#24

Posted: September 17, 2018, 12:56 PM Post
Posts: 3448
Location: New Berlin, WI
I know this doesn't specifically relate, but has anyone heard anything on Brendan Murphy? Is he pitching in instructs or is he hurt? He didn't end up pitching at all this year.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#25

Posted: September 17, 2018, 1:49 PM Post
User avatar

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Posts: 52131
KeithStone53151 said:
I know this doesn't specifically relate, but has anyone heard anything on Brendan Murphy? Is he pitching in instructs or is he hurt? He didn't end up pitching at all this year.


Must be one heck of a lat strain from March, as per this previously posted August story.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#26

Posted: October 10, 2018, 8:58 AM Post
Posts: 6
Box score for the first game

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp ... x&sid=l119

Hiura 1-3 2B BB 2SBs
Grisham 2-5

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Bubba Derby 2.2 2 2 0 1 3 0 0.00
Daniel Brown 2.1 0 0 0 1 4 0 0.00


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#27

Posted: October 10, 2018, 2:40 PM Post
Posts: 5993
https://twitter.com/berniepleskoff/stat ... 01728?s=21

I didn't realize that speed was a strength for Hiura


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Arizona Fall League
#28

Posted: October 10, 2018, 2:45 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4952
Location: Three Lakes, WI
markedman5 said:
https://twitter.com/berniepleskoff/status/1050123071510601728?s=21

I didn't realize that speed was a strength for Hiura


He was profiled with having above average speed, but it wasn't hugely noteworthy. I think the base stealing must be something that he's been told to focus on. Having another ++ tool would certainly help his ascent to the big leagues.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#29

Posted: October 10, 2018, 3:48 PM Post
Posts: 3788
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
markedman5 said:
https://twitter.com/berniepleskoff/status/1050123071510601728?s=21

I didn't realize that speed was a strength for Hiura


He was profiled with having above average speed, but it wasn't hugely noteworthy. I think the base stealing must be something that he's been told to focus on. Having another ++ tool would certainly help his ascent to the big leagues.


The real interesting move would be to have him bat second, Yelich third, Cain leading off...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#30

Posted: October 10, 2018, 4:49 PM Post
Posts: 5993
Nice start for him in AZ

https://twitter.com/biloxishuckers/stat ... 33186?s=21


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#31

Posted: October 10, 2018, 6:10 PM Post
Posts: 1050
clancyphile said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
markedman5 said:
https://twitter.com/berniepleskoff/status/1050123071510601728?s=21

I didn't realize that speed was a strength for Hiura


He was profiled with having above average speed, but it wasn't hugely noteworthy. I think the base stealing must be something that he's been told to focus on. Having another ++ tool would certainly help his ascent to the big leagues.


The real interesting move would be to have him bat second, Yelich third, Cain leading off...


I’ve been drooling over this possibility for a while now. We need Yelich batting 3rd if we can get appropriate 1-2 guys. If Huira can OBP .340, and I think he could right away, our offense is much stronger.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Arizona Fall League
#32

Posted: October 10, 2018, 7:15 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4952
Location: Three Lakes, WI
PlayerHader said:

I’ve been drooling over this possibility for a while now. We need Yelich batting 3rd if we can get appropriate 1-2 guys. If Huira can OBP .340, and I think he could right away, our offense is much stronger.


Great possibility ... for 2020-21 at the earliest. The guy needs more time. When he hits .330 at AA-AAA, let's talk.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#33

Posted: October 10, 2018, 8:23 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1159
Hiura with a grand slam today.

https://twitter.com/isitthewelsh/status ... 77600?s=21


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#34

Posted: October 11, 2018, 5:08 AM Post
Posts: 1050
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
PlayerHader said:

I’ve been drooling over this possibility for a while now. We need Yelich batting 3rd if we can get appropriate 1-2 guys. If Huira can OBP .340, and I think he could right away, our offense is much stronger.


Great possibility ... for 2020-21 at the earliest. The guy needs more time. When he hits .330 at AA-AAA, let's talk.


I’m confused. He’s at .372 for his two season in the minors with his low stretch being .339 innings AA this past season. I don’t think him coming up in late May/June and batting .285 with a .340 OBP the rest of the way is crazy.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Arizona Fall League
#35

Posted: October 11, 2018, 6:45 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4952
Location: Three Lakes, WI
PlayerHader said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
PlayerHader said:

I’ve been drooling over this possibility for a while now. We need Yelich batting 3rd if we can get appropriate 1-2 guys. If Huira can OBP .340, and I think he could right away, our offense is much stronger.


Great possibility ... for 2020-21 at the earliest. The guy needs more time. When he hits .330 at AA-AAA, let's talk.


I’m confused. He’s at .372 for his two season in the minors with his low stretch being .339 innings AA this past season. I don’t think him coming up in late May/June and batting .285 with a .340 OBP the rest of the way is crazy.


He hit .272 for Biloxi in 307 plate appearances in 2018. That is not a "call me up now" stat. I like Keston, and I think he has a good future in the Brewers organization, but I'm just cautioning to pump the brakes a bit on the "OMG NEXT BIG SUPERSTAR CALL HIM UP NOW!!!!!" talk.

If Hiura is the team's everyday 2B in 2020, it wouldn't surprise me. I think he plays most of the year in San Antonio next year, then gets an August or Sept. call-up. Of course, injuries could play a role in moving up that timeline.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#36

Posted: October 11, 2018, 7:13 AM Post
Posts: 3709
He hit .272 for Biloxi in 307 plate appearances in 2018. That is not a "call me up now" stat.

That 0.272 BA came with a big slump into and following a wrist issue that cost Hiura some time, IIRC...the silver lining to that is he seemed to recover fine from it, and it has nothing to do with the elbow issue he's had that many assumed would require tommy john surgery or turn him into a DH only trade chip at the start of 2018. Also, I think one poster is focusing on OBP moreso than BA - the 0.340 OBP Hiura put up in AA during his "struggles" would rank 5th on the Brewers' regular position player roster, behind only Yelich, Cain, Aguilar, and Shaw.

The fact that Hiura played a bunch of 2B once he got called up to AA and seems to have put throwing arm injury concerns behind him is much more important to me than what his offensive stats were - we all know he can hit, he was profiled as the best hit tool bat in his draft. With Schoop likely in the 2B mix for 2019 and the possibility of Shaw moonlighting there on occasion should Moose opt to stay in Milwaukee next year, it's not like there's a gaping hole at 2B that Hiura needs to be rushed into. I wonder what Dubon's availability may be following his ACL surgery, also, as a utility MIF. I think Hiura opens 2019 in San Antonio, and once June rolls around if Schoop or whomever they have getting regular ABs is struggling, Keston will be up.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#37

Posted: October 11, 2018, 2:16 PM Post
Posts: 20
His bat reminds me of a young Brewer in the 1970's that I believe started out at second base.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#38

Posted: October 11, 2018, 10:40 PM Post
Posts: 331
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Great possibility ... for 2020-21 at the earliest. The guy needs more time. When he hits .330 at AA-AAA, let's talk.


You might want a refresher on Southern League batting averages. Only 2 players in the entire league hit over .300 in 2018. The 8th highest BA was .266 (Hiura hit .272 at nearly 3 years under the league average age while battling an injury)

Hiura could hit over .300 with his eyes closed in AAA PCL. And if he jumped right to the majors on Opening Day 2019, he'd push Cain for 2nd highest BA in Milwaukee next year. You're missing the boat by quite a bit on Hiura if you think he's that far off. The kid just needs to stay healthy and work on his play at 2B. The bat is major league ready now. I'm looking forward to your "I had no idea Hiura was this good" post sometime next year.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#39

Posted: October 12, 2018, 7:41 AM Post
Posts: 667
When you watch him live, you just say "wow, he is so much better than anyone else the Shuckers have". And they had a lot of good hitters at AA this year! I think he could start the 2019 year in MKE, but probably at AAA for at least a couple of months. I think who they keep at 2b over the winter will forecast the speed of the rise of KH to MKE.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League
#40

Posted: October 12, 2018, 7:58 AM Post
Posts: 227
I think Hiura takes the same path that Braun did. Each split time at A+/AA in their first full year after being drafted. The next year Braun opened at AAA was brought up in May. I think Hiura does close to the same. The thing going against Hiura is that the 2019 Brewers should be a good team expecting to compete for the playoffs. Braun had the luxury of a 2007 Brewer team that did not have those expectations so it was easier to just insert the rookie into the everyday lineup.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 126 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AKCheesehead, sauveb and 9 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test