LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 134 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Arizona Fall League

Offline  Re: Arizona Fall League

Posted: October 12, 2018, 8:59 AM Post
On the plus side for Hiura he doesn't have to be the guy either with all of the other bats in the line-up. I'm very curious to see how he does in the fall league. I could see it being influential in how the Brewers think about the offseason. I'm sure either way they will have other options in place at second base to start the year, but who and how many options is a different story.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2018, 1:36 PM Post
Jose Cardenal1 said:
I think Hiura takes the same path that Braun did. Each split time at A+/AA in their first full year after being drafted. The next year Braun opened at AAA was brought up in May. I think Hiura does close to the same. The thing going against Hiura is that the 2019 Brewers should be a good team expecting to compete for the playoffs. Braun had the luxury of a 2007 Brewer team that did not have those expectations so it was easier to just insert the rookie into the everyday lineup.

Can we stop comparing Hiura to a multi year all star and former league MVP? I get the excitement around him but the way people here talk, you'd think he as a top 5 prospect in all of the major leagues. He's not and you're setting yourself up for huge disappointment if you think he is. Be patient and let him develop for another year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2018, 1:55 PM Post
TigerUppercut said:
Jose Cardenal1 said:
I think Hiura takes the same path that Braun did. Each split time at A+/AA in their first full year after being drafted. The next year Braun opened at AAA was brought up in May. I think Hiura does close to the same. The thing going against Hiura is that the 2019 Brewers should be a good team expecting to compete for the playoffs. Braun had the luxury of a 2007 Brewer team that did not have those expectations so it was easier to just insert the rookie into the everyday lineup.

Can we stop comparing Hiura to a multi year all star and former league MVP? I get the excitement around him but the way people here talk, you'd think he as a top 5 prospect in all of the major leagues. He's not and you're setting yourself up for huge disappointment if you think he is. Be patient and let him develop for another year.

He's putting up numbers that warrant deep praise. I'd contend that elbow concerns and last year's wrist injury are all that keep him from being a top-10 MLB guy right now. He's legitimately a great hitter. And comparing his path to RB's doesn't mean he has to be RB. He won't come up and hit 34 HRs. He doesn't have to. I think he could hit .300 and steal 20 bases, though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2018, 3:09 PM Post
TigerUppercut said:

Nope. I don't care where where rankings fall for this kid. I'm not going to go so far as to predict an MVP, but I do believe he's the 3rd best bat in the entire organization right now today and that thought is very exciting. 2018 is the opening of the window for this organization and pieces like Hiura on the cusp of being added to the mix are worth getting hyped about.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2018, 3:32 PM Post
https://twitter.com/BrewersFarm/status/989890458854789120

Here is a side by side with that Mike Trout guy. Those swings looks pretty darn similar.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2018, 8:19 PM Post
Don't get me wrong. I love Hiura's potential as a top of the order bat. I just don't see a guy that hit .272 in AA as a guy that is going to come up next year and make a huge immediate impact.

His profile as a high contact table setter fits the profile for what this team needs to make it a truly elite level lineup. If he can come up to the MLB level and hit .300, I'll gladly eat my words. I just don't see it happening ... yet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2018, 7:59 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Don't get me wrong. I love Hiura's potential as a top of the order bat. I just don't see a guy that hit .272 in AA as a guy that is going to come up next year and make a huge immediate impact.

His profile as a high contact table setter fits the profile for what this team needs to make it a truly elite level lineup. If he can come up to the MLB level and hit .300, I'll gladly eat my words. I just don't see it happening ... yet.

If you saw him in Arizona last spring, and you didn't know who he was, you'd be convinced he was a regular in the major league lineup. He's poised and refined as a hitter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2018, 8:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
TigerUppercut said:

Well, I have news for you: Baseball Prospectus Mid-Season Top 50 [wink]

I realize I cherry picked a little since that is the only publication to currently rank him in the top five, but I think his stock arrow is definitely pointed up right now. I also think Baseball Prospectus is one of the better prospect resources.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2018, 1:36 PM Post
TigerUppercut said:
Jose Cardenal1 said:

Assuming many of the current top 5 prospects open 2019 in the big leagues (guerrero, jimenez, etc), Hiura more or less will be top 5 in all of baseball. His bat is special.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2018, 3:05 PM Post
Was Braun ever top 5? Top 10?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2018, 3:45 PM Post
DHonks said:
Was Braun ever top 5? Top 10?

49 and 26 on BA list and 12 on Baseball Prospectus. So, no.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2018, 4:35 PM Post
So the argument that we shouldn’t get excited until he’s top 5/10 is bunk

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2018, 9:09 PM Post
DHonks said:

Think people are just holding grunge because after a hand/wrist injury he had a month slump. Outside of that, he has just tore through minor league pitching. He has a very similar swing as Trout but he is not Trout and think we all know that. Trout is a generational talent and no one is. However, just cause he is not Trout doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be very excited and think he is anything less than an elite minor league hitting project. His hit tool may be best of all prospects in baseball.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2018, 8:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
I completely understand being skeptical of any prospect, even the most highly rated of them.

The reason I am so excited for Hiura’s future is that I believe he has an elite ability to barrel the ball, and I think that skill is the most predictive of future success. I believe he is going to develop into a high contact hitter at the major league level. He has a chance to become a very valuable bat hitting near the middle of the Brewers lineup as early as part way through next season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2018, 8:55 AM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
DHonks said:

Think people are just holding grunge because after a hand/wrist injury he had a month slump. Outside of that, he has just tore through minor league pitching. He has a very similar swing as Trout but he is not Trout and think we all know that. Trout is a generational talent and no one is. However, just cause he is not Trout doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be very excited and think he is anything less than an elite minor league hitting project. His hit tool may be best of all prospects in baseball.

It's not holding a grudge against him per se. Its more so looking at it realistically, and telling those that think he should have been up this year, or should be the starting 2B next April, to maybe hold their horses a bit. I love the guy's ability, too, but he is being put on a pedestal by some here that is just too high and rickety in my opinion.

I would love to be wrong on this, but the guy just finished his first year of full season ball. Caution needs to be exercised.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2018, 9:16 AM Post
I don’t think he is opening up season on 25 man roster nor should he. A lot depends what they do with Schoop, Moose, Shaw. You retain all 3, Huira only comes up for injury. Dubon will be there looking for 2B innings with Perez as well. If Schoop is traded, Moose’s option isn’t picked up on both sides, and Brewers stay pat.... I could see him up by June. If Moose and/ or Schoop are back, it could be longer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2018, 10:11 AM Post
At this point I can't see Schoop sticking around. He hasn't shown anything, and his track-record previously was all about power. I'm not certain besides that though

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2018, 11:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
DHonks said:
At this point I can't see Schoop sticking around. He hasn't shown anything, and his track-record previously was all about power. I'm not certain besides that though

I'm thinking the same thing - especially when you take in the cost, which will be near $10M in his final year of eligibility.

I will say that if the team can get him to sign for significantly less - they may keep him. But yeah, he's not shown a lot. However, they may count on a rebound season. Who knows.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2018, 1:22 PM Post
If the Brewers think Hiura's elbow will hold, they may very well open the year with Perez at 2b. If Moose wants to stick around for a year, I think there's plenty of at bats for him and Shaw, even with Perez and eventually Hiura.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2018, 1:35 PM Post
I really, really hope the team won't go with any plan that involves Perez as an everyday player. His versatility makes him useful as a utility man, but his bat is too bad to be in the lineup every day. The only time to pencil in a ~80 wRC+ as a regular is if it's an excellent defensive shortstop or catcher. And we already have below-average bats in those positions.

If Moose sticks around then continuing with the Travis Shaw experiment makes a lot of sense. Perez/Dubon as the platoon partners and defensive replacements, with Hiura taking over that role when ready, at which time I'd imagine Shaw would rotate between 3rd, 1st and 2nd a fair bit. Should indeed be plenty of at bats to go around, even if the team is lucky enough to stay healthy.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 134 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test