LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 84 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Minor League Options Remaining Thread

Offline  Re: Minor League Options Remaining Thread

Posted: April 26, 2019, 7:51 AM Post
Update:

The great Jake Petricka line has finally settled down, as he has reached 5 years MLB service time and can no longer be optioned without his consent. Enjoy that star next to your name, Jake, you've earned it.

In other news, if Taylor Williams isn't called up today, he will burn his 3rd and final option.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 26, 2019, 1:51 PM Post
When the time comes and I imagine it will, I wonder if Petricka will agree to the option instead of being DFA since he is always one of the first to get called back up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 29, 2019, 7:06 AM Post
Outlander said:
When the time comes and I imagine it will, I wonder if Petricka will agree to the option instead of being DFA since he is always one of the first to get called back up.

Update:

We found out the answer a few days ago, I guess, as Petricka was DFA'd. Reports said he was only DFA'd to make room for Gio Gonzalez on the 40-man, but it still seems possible that he just refused an option and made that decision easy for the Brewers.

Anyways, Petricka is now off the 40-man, his 2 option years (if he consents) are still in tact for now if remains in the Brewers' system. Gio has been added to the 40-man roster.

Taylor Williams has now spent more than 20 days in the minors this year and has burned his 3rd and final option. It is unclear if, like Adrian Houser, he would be eligible for a 4th option next year due to his injury history.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 29, 2019, 2:27 PM Post
Update:

Alex Wilson has been designated for assignment. Brewers have selected the contract of Jay Jackson to replace him on the 40-man.

Looking back at Jackson's career, I'm kind of amazed at how badly the Cubs seem to have bundled his career but maybe there is more to the story. Jackson was a top 10 (maybe even top 5) prospect once for the Cubs, had a helium-like rise through their system in 2 years after being drafted, then they let him toil away at AAA for 3 years until he probably just got so frustrated he couldn't pitch well anymore, then they released him without ever adding him to the 40-man.

He did have a brief call up in 2015, did not perform well, then went to Japan where he performed very well. Most astonishing is that the Cubs never once thought to try him in the bullpen during those 3 long years in AAA, which is where he seems to be thriving now.

JJ #2 could be a really smart pickup. Hasn't given up a run at AAA yet this year, 14:2 K:BB in 8.2 IP, and reportedly has a fastball in the mid to upper 90s. Excited to see how he fares with the Crew.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 06, 2019, 11:21 PM Post
Shaw has 2 options. He also is in his 5th year but has only played 3 full seasons and about 80 games. Does that mean we can option him still?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2019, 7:47 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
Shaw has 2 options. He also is in his 5th year but has only played 3 full seasons and about 80 games. Does that mean we can option him still?

Yes, the Brewers could option him without his consent until he hits 5 full years service time. Like you said, at the beginning of 2019, Shaw had 3 years and 88 days of service time, so this entire year plus part of next year we could option him without his consent. I'm not sure if we're to that point with him yet though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2019, 7:51 AM Post
Update:

I was on vacation this weekend so I made a few updates when I thought of it and I think this chart is up to date, just haven't listed them in an update post. I believe what I missed was:

- Jay Jackson DFA'd
- Burch Smith contract selected
- Jacob Barnes was optioned and will burn his 3rd and final option if he remains in the Minors through May 21st.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 9:09 PM Post
Update:

Aaron Wilkerson was reinstated from the IL and optioned. This effectively burns his 2019 option, leaving him with 1 remaining after 2019.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2019, 11:36 AM Post
Update:

With his recall, Jacob Barnes' 2019 option status is on hold. He has not yet spent 20 days in the Minors this season, so, at least for now, his 2019 option is still intact.

Burch Smith will burn his 3rd and final option if he remains in the minors through the end of May.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 14, 2019, 9:44 AM Post
Update:

Keston Hiura contract selected, he starts his Major League career with 3 shiny new option years. Hopefully he'll never have to burn one.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2019, 1:12 PM Post
Update:

Jacob Barnes optioned to make room for Chase Anderson's reinstatement from the IL.

He has 10 more days to go before he burns his 2nd option. So unless there's an injury replacement, he'll burn that option before he can be recalled (I think).

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Minor League Options Remaining Thread

Posted: May 28, 2019, 10:50 AM Post
Update:

Jacob Barnes has burned his 3rd and final option. He will enter the 2020 season with no options remaining.

Jimmy Nelson was optioned from his rehab assignment 8 days short of 5 years MLB service time, so he can still be optioned without his permission at this time. He would burn his 2nd option if he spends 20+ more days in the Minors this season. Once he is recalled, it is unlikely that he would be eligible to be optioned again without his permission.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 2:37 PM Post
Jacob Barnes reminds me of Mike Adams. An unheralded prospect whose stuff got much better in the minors. I’d really like him to figure it out with us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 4:43 PM Post
DHonks said:
Jacob Barnes reminds me of Mike Adams. An unheralded prospect whose stuff got much better in the minors. I’d really like him to figure it out with us.

Jacob Barnes stuff has regressed since his peak which was first half of 2017. At that time his stuff rivaled that of Corey Knebel, FB 96-99, good slider, below average command. His stuff nowhere near as good now but has a little better command.

Jacob’s issue is between his ears. I think his days with the brewers are over unless catastrophic injuries occur. I’m hoping we can trade him as opposed to releasing him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 08, 2019, 5:27 PM Post
(Late) Updates:

Burch Smith has burned his 3rd and final option, and will enter 2020 with no options remaining.

The clock on Keston Hiura's first option is running. He will burn his first option after June 22nd.

Jimmy Nelson is now the owner of the most complicated line. It will be simplified a bit if he makes it to Wednesday on the big league roster, when he will reach 5 years service time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 09, 2019, 6:54 PM Post
The "Yes, they are really on the 40 man roster" Club: Burch Smith, Donnie Hart, David Freitas, Troy Stokes

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2019, 1:03 AM Post
Who is eligible to be taken off our roster next year if they are not protected on our 40 man roster?

Is this list out there or is it too soon?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2019, 5:50 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
ebmackenzie said:
Who is eligible to be taken off our roster next year if they are not protected on our 40 man roster?

Is this list out there or is it too soon?

We'll get you that info in two separate threads (Rule 5 eligible, Minor League Free Agent eligible) as we've done in prior summers. Look for them later this week.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2019, 6:35 AM Post
Here is my list of Rule 5 eligible players. I may be missing a few but I think this is fairly close:
Name	     Protect?	Level	Drafted/Signed
Preston Gainey No ? 2012
Luis Aviles No AA 2013
Nattino Diplan No AA FA
Tyler Spurlin No AA FA
Tucker Neuhaus No ? 2013
Carlos Leal No Rookie 2014
Carlos Luna No Rookie FA
Devin Williams Maybe AA 2013
J. Segovia Maybe A+ FA
Carlos Herrera No ? FA
CJ Hinjosa No AA FA
Drake Owenby No DL 2015
Nate Griep Maybe AA 2015
Max McDowell No AA 2015
Jake Gatewood No AA 2014
Nathan Kirby No ? 2015
Bubba Derby No AAA 2015
Cody Ponce Maybe AA 2015
Phil Bickford No A+ 2015
QTC No DL 2015
Jon Olczak No AAA 2015

1st time available for draft:
T.Grisham Yes AA 2015
N.Walters No Rk 2015
J. Sibrian No Rk 2015
J.Lujano No A- 2015
Y. Coca No A- 2015
Pinero No A- 2015
M. Sanchez Yes AAA 2016
Ray Yes AAA 2016
Erceg Yes AAA 2016
Webb Maybe AA 2016
Z.Brown Yes AAA 2016
D.Brown Maybe AA 2016
T.Jankins Maybe AAA 2016
W.Wilson Maybe AA 2016
Hummel No AA 2016
Z.Clark No A+ 2016
N.Rodriguez No A+ 2016
C.Roegner No AA 2016

The roster crunch does not look to be nearly as bad as last year. I see 5 "must protects" and another 8 decisions to make. Of course this can change as the season goes on due to injuries and performance. I think the Brewers can fairly easily clear 10 spots to protect players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 17, 2019, 2:38 PM Post
Late Update:

Jimmy Nelson reached 5 years of service time last week. He can no longer be optioned to the Minor Leagues without his consent.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 84 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test