LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 156 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Farm System Rankings & Prospect Valuations

Offline  Re: 2019 Farm System Rankings & Prospect Valuations
Posted: February 13, 2019, 10:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
sveumrules said:
FanGraphs top 130 prospects out today with Hiura (13), Lutz (97) & Ray (123) checking in. Looks like Isan (104) & Monte (122) are still hanging out around the back end of the list as well for those who like to keep tabs on former Brewers...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-top-100-prospects/

While I'm happy to see three prospects on the list, I think it's a pretty major oversight not including Zack Brown.

From what I could find none of MLB, BA or BPro had Brown in their top 100 either this year with only KLaw putting him that high.

Look on the bright side though, Estevan Florial is only #106 on the FG list.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Farm System Rankings & Prospect Valuations
Posted: February 13, 2019, 10:24 AM Post
sveumrules said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
sveumrules said:
FanGraphs top 130 prospects out today with Hiura (13), Lutz (97) & Ray (123) checking in. Looks like Isan (104) & Monte (122) are still hanging out around the back end of the list as well for those who like to keep tabs on former Brewers...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-top-100-prospects/

While I'm happy to see three prospects on the list, I think it's a pretty major oversight not including Zack Brown.

From what I could find none of MLB, BA or BPro had Brown in their top 100 either this year with only KLaw putting him that high.

Look on the bright side though, Estevan Florial is only #106 on the FG list.

Well there is that LOL.

Hopefully Brown is on everyone's map by August.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 13, 2019, 7:36 PM Post
By August hopefully Brown will be pitching great in the Burnes role from last year!

I’m not worried bout lack of prospects in top 100. Burnes in short time in minors was never really rated up to his talent. Polish, competitiveness & stuff combo of a frontline arm & was pretty underrated. Now he will be major player for years to come.

Much of our system is very young. Our guys at the top like Erceg haven’t figured it out, Ray can’t make contact consistently, Dubon tore ACL, outside of board national scouts don’t love Supek as much, Diplan can’t throw strikes, Stokes never gets any love. Taylor lost status after two really bad seasons. So on....

Our hope rest in all the young talent in DSL through the few who will be in Carolina like Henry, Lutz, Feliciano. You hope some of those guys take off. Turang & Lutz I think will take biggest leap this year. One of our young OFs like Gray, Ward, or Rodriquez right behind them

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 14, 2019, 12:04 AM Post
Sounds like the BA farm rankings are out.. Tip of the cap to a Pirates website that while focusing on the Pirates paid a some attention to the other teams in the NL Central.
https://www.piratesprospects.com/2019/0 ... ystem.html

"As for BA’s other rankings in the NL Central, the Pirates were third after the Cincinnati Reds (#8) and St Louis Cardinals (#10), but well ahead of the Milwaukee Brewers (#25) and Chicago Cubs (#29). The Pirates rank eighth among all NL clubs. BA had the Pirates 16th last year before they graduated numerous top 30 prospects in the system and traded away others at the trade deadline."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2019, 2:17 PM Post
Another day, another farm ranking source released. This time its Prospect Digest. If you are interested in a detailed review of all clubs (like the Baseball America Handbook) but want a different opinion, I would suggest/ recommend the The Prospect Digest Handbook. Its available thru Amazon for under $16.

They have started releasing in free content the various top 10s (& write-ups for those players). Once the Brewers are released, I will edit this post to add the names.

As for the farm rankings -they are part of the Amazon preview. Here are the rankings for the NL Central teams:
St. L: #12
Cinci: #13
Pitts: #16
Milw: #26
ChiC: #29

Last edited by MadThinker88 on February 16, 2019, 12:09 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2019, 2:27 PM Post
MiLB ranks the Brewers' system at #15 just by position players: https://www.milb.com/milb/news/farm-sys ... -303725806

I imagine they will rank lower pitching-wise, as several of the top guys have recently graduated. Big year for guys like Lemons, Jarvis and Ashby to pick up the slack there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2019, 3:35 PM Post
The Athletic Top 200

21. Keston Hiura
119. Brice Turang
131. Zack Brown
194. Corey Ray

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2019, 6:38 PM Post
trwi7 said:
The Athletic Top 200

21. Keston Hiura
119. Brice Turang
131. Zack Brown
194. Corey Ray

AKA Jim Bowden

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2019, 7:33 PM Post
Noche said:
trwi7 said:
The Athletic Top 200

21. Keston Hiura
119. Brice Turang
131. Zack Brown
194. Corey Ray

AKA Jim Bowden

Luckily it's not just him ranking them. It's whatever GM's, executives and scouts that are still willing to talk to him. So, sample size might be small.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 16, 2019, 12:09 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
MiLB ranks the Brewers' system at #15 just by position players: https://www.milb.com/milb/news/farm-sys ... -303725806

I imagine they will rank lower pitching-wise, as several of the top guys have recently graduated. Big year for guys like Lemons, Jarvis and Ashby to pick up the slack there.

My eye's on Cameron Roegner, Clayton Andrews, and Scott Sunitsch to really take off...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 16, 2019, 2:08 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

I'd toss Zhao on that list. The reports from instructs seem to indicate a pretty high ceiling so if he makes it to Wisconsin next year and pitches well, I think he's a guy who could really shoot up prospect lists.

Definitely with you on Ashby, though. It is tough to put this kind of label on a fourth-rounder from a JUCO, but you could make the case given the current makeup of the organization from the Majors on down that he is the second most important prospect behind Hiura. His ceiling just seems noticeably higher than any lefty starting prospect who has already glimpsed full season ball.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 16, 2019, 5:23 PM Post
clancyphile said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

My eye's on Cameron Roegner, Clayton Andrews, and Scott Sunitsch to really take off...

Think all three will never receive any national attention but could real good. People will overlook Andrews due to size. Roegner because he is a soft tosser who can’t get any Ks, & Sunitsch isn’t a big stuff or velo guy to make him standout. I think Andrews is the best. He has the best pure stuff of the 3. If he was at least 5’10 or 6’0 he would get more attention. 6’3 maybe household name. High K arm.

So they can all be really big for us in system but all 3 would be lucky to make a top 500-1000 list let alone top 100-200. Just not guys national scouts pay attention to.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 17, 2019, 8:07 AM Post
Global Moderator
Baseball America’s Talent Rankings by Organization (via Prospect Handbook):

Reds are 7th (ranked 10th last year)
Cardinals are 11th (ranked 13th last year)
Pirates are 18th (ranked 16th last year)
Brewers are 26th (ranked 6th last year)
Cubs are 29th (ranked 28th last year)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 17, 2019, 8:31 AM Post
Global Moderator
Earlier this week Ben Lindbergh wrote a piece titled, There’s (Almost) No Such Thing As a Top Pitching Prospect

I found this entry from the article particularly interesting:

Progressive teams have also grown more adept at making low-profile pitching prospects into major league material. In an era of data-driven player development, “You can create a pitching prospect,” Callis says, noting that the advent of sensitive tracking technology, high-speed cameras, and sophisticated velocity programs has made it more feasible for pitchers to make sudden strides. And some of those strides are almost imperceptible to public prospect rankers. “Trackman/Statcast data on hitters (exit velo/launch angle) is stuff that scouts can see much more easily, and we can approximate without having the data,” McDaniel says. “Whereas fastball rise or spin rate-based deception are really hard to peg even from video.”

Looking at the last few drafts it doesn’t seem far fetched to think the Brewers may have done well with identifying pitchers in rounds 3-5 that have possessed underrated attributes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 17, 2019, 8:08 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Earlier this week Ben Lindbergh wrote a piece titled, There’s (Almost) No Such Thing As a Top Pitching Prospect

I found this entry from the article particularly interesting:

Progressive teams have also grown more adept at making low-profile pitching prospects into major league material. In an era of data-driven player development, “You can create a pitching prospect,” Callis says, noting that the advent of sensitive tracking technology, high-speed cameras, and sophisticated velocity programs has made it more feasible for pitchers to make sudden strides. And some of those strides are almost imperceptible to public prospect rankers. “Trackman/Statcast data on hitters (exit velo/launch angle) is stuff that scouts can see much more easily, and we can approximate without having the data,” McDaniel says. “Whereas fastball rise or spin rate-based deception are really hard to peg even from video.”

Looking at the last few drafts it doesn’t seem far fetched to think the Brewers may have done well with identifying pitchers in rounds 3-5 that have possessed underrated attributes.

And beyond - some highlights from the past ten years:
Brent Suter, 31st round of the 2012 draft
Quintin Torres-Costa, 35th round of 2015
Scott Sunitsh, 18th round of 2018
Clayton Andrews, 17th round of 2018
Cam Roegner, 22nd round of 2016
Jon Olczak, 21st round of 2015
Cody Beckman, 30th round of 2017
Brandon Woodruff, 11th round of 2014
Mike Fiers, 22nd round of 2009

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2019, 10:33 AM Post
Happy Brewers Top 30 reveal day! MLB Pipeline is releasing their Top 30's for the NL Central today. Should see it up within an hour or two.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2019, 11:31 AM Post
It actually is up right now, I think it just popped up.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019/?list=mil

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2019, 11:59 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:

Is it terrible to think we have a decent top 6?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2019, 12:30 PM Post
Surprised to see Mario Feliciano jump almost ten spots

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2019, 12:54 PM Post
wallus said:
KeithStone53151 said:

Is it terrible to think we have a decent top 6?

We have 6 Top 100 caliber prospects whether they have a Top 100 in front of their name or not. They're good

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 156 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test