LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 156 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Farm System Rankings & Prospect Valuations

Online  Re: 2019 Farm System Rankings & Prospect Valuations
Posted: February 21, 2019, 1:32 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Over the years I have seen some very bad Brewers farm systems... this is not one of them. When I see the system ranked like 26th, it just elicits a bit of an eye roll.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Farm System Rankings & Prospect Valuations
Posted: February 21, 2019, 6:49 PM Post
Humans Need Water said:
wallus said:
KeithStone53151 said:
It actually is up right now, I think it just popped up.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019/?list=mil

Is it terrible to think we have a decent top 6?

We have 6 Top 100 caliber prospects whether they have a Top 100 in front of their name or not. They're good

I'd take the current top 10 prospects in the system at this stage in their development over recent top 10 brewer prospect lists that had their system "ranked" higher a few years ago.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2019, 12:20 AM Post
It is interesting the variety of opinion on Nottingham's defense. MLB Pipeline seems to indicate he can definitely stay at catcher, while Fangraphs doesn't have him in the top 32 and doesn't seem to think he's close to good enough yet behind the plate. I also think 16 seems low for him given the writeup.

I wonder if some of the optimism surrounding the system despite the ranking involves the fact that the Brewers seem to have had more luck developing pitchers recently than in years past so the likelihood of success with some of the guys nationally considered fringier seems greater.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2019, 7:54 AM Post
I don't know if MLB Pipeline use the overall 20-80 scale somwhat differently to Fangraphs/BPro, or if they're just more generous overall, or if they simply like the Brewers farm a lot more. Regardless it's interesting to see that they have 9 overall 50s, while FG has 3 and and BPro have 3-4 too (They give a value for both likely best-case and a more conservative likely outcome). At least the way Fangraphs define their FV, 50 is a player who averages ~2 WAR per year over their years of team control. By that definition, having 9 players whose mean or most likely outcome is a 2 WAR player is very good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2019, 8:49 AM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:
It is interesting the variety of opinion on Nottingham's defense. MLB Pipeline seems to indicate he can definitely stay at catcher, while Fangraphs doesn't have him in the top 32 and doesn't seem to think he's close to good enough yet behind the plate. I also think 16 seems low for him given the writeup.

I wonder if some of the optimism surrounding the system despite the ranking involves the fact that the Brewers seem to have had more luck developing pitchers recently than in years past so the likelihood of success with some of the guys nationally considered fringier seems greater.

Agree. When you read Nottingham's write-up, independent of his 20/80 grades and system ranking, you'd absolutely think he's in the top 10 in the system and a starting catcher once ready. He's had a wrc+ below 103 *once* in his career between A-AAA. He was 3yrs young for level in AA and that was the year they first broke him down (literally) defensively to start rebuilding him. And his wrc+ was 87 (not good but not horrific given his position and age/level). The Brewers and their AA/AAA managers seem to believe he's definitely a MLB starting catcher based on comments they've made in the past.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2019, 8:55 AM Post
I don't think the #26 ranking is out of line at all. Last time I did a complete run-through was early August, during the 10 days following the trade deadline, and I had rated them at #23. Burnes has graduated since then but I wouldn't assume that automatically drops the Brewers because other teams had players that graduated too (and lots of trade activity since then). I'll probably do another run-through after getting the BA Handbook. Personally, I'd be surprised if I had the Brewers in the bottom five but would be even more surprised if I had them outside of the bottom 10.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2019, 11:19 AM Post
Based on mlbpipeline's notes, does anyone else get the sense that Grisham could be alot better if he received better instruction? Why in the world are they letting him set up that way? I feel like Grisham is going to get poached at some point by the Cardinals or Dodgers and quickly be "fixed" and become the 300 MLB hitter that he was expected to be on draft day.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 22, 2019, 1:22 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
Based on mlbpipeline's notes, does anyone else get the sense that Grisham could be alot better if he received better instruction? Why in the world are they letting him set up that way? I feel like Grisham is going to get poached at some point by the Cardinals or Dodgers and quickly be "fixed" and become the 300 MLB hitter that he was expected to be on draft day.

They need to make him study LoCain's at-bats. That is who Grisham should be trying to emulate.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2019, 1:37 PM Post
On Braden Webb. I've personally been super high on him since he was drafted and think he might be the best pitcher in the system. I know that's a minority opinion. I fully expect him to be this years version of Woodruff/Burnes by June or July.

https://twitter.com/JasonPennini/status ... 5169343488

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2019, 3:10 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
On Braden Webb. I've personally been super high on him since he was drafted and think he might be the best pitcher in the system. I know that's a minority opinion. I fully expect him to be this years version of Woodruff/Burnes by June or July.

I'd agree with you a lot more if Z. Brown wasn't in the system.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Farm System Rankings & Prospect Valuations
Posted: March 14, 2019, 3:26 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Finally picked up Baseball HQ's minor league annual, and they have the Brewers' organization 20th out of 30. They give the team a B- for hitting, a C- for pitching, a B- for top-end talent, a C for depth, and a C overall. I think that severely undersells the pitching/depth, but 20th is a lot closer to where the minor league system is at than 27th or whatever, IMO.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2019, 4:08 PM Post
wallus said:
KeithStone53151 said:

Brown in milw. Some time after S-2, Webb guessing sept. If your right and it’s june/July means he crushing it or injuries. Hope the former.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2019, 4:15 PM Post
And That said:
Finally picked up Baseball HQ's minor league annual, and they have the Brewers' organization 20th out of 30. They give the team a B- for hitting, a C- for pitching, a B- for top-end talent, a C for depth, and a C overall. I think that severely undersells the pitching/depth, but 20th is a lot closer to where the minor league system is at than 27th or whatever, IMO.

You sir know much more about brewers prospects than any publication. It’s all about time spent studying the system. There time spread out among 30 teams, yours focused on one. Trust your judgement over any of there’s.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2019, 9:41 PM Post
And That said:

Are you referring to the Minor League Baseball Analyst?? I'm waiting for my copy to arrive and should have it late next week.

Of the 9 sites/ sources (for farm system rankings) I have seen so far, only 2 have the Brewers above #22. Heck the only site so far that put the Crew above #20 is also the ONLY site that didn't put the Padres system at #1 (giving the nod to the ChiSox). While I wish some of these sources spent more time going in depth on the Brewers and other teams, we have to realize their time spent looking at other systems helps them to compare/ contrast the strengths and weaknesses of those other systems.

While we may feel the Brewer system has greater talent or depth in certain areas, compared to the other systems (especially against some others in the NL Central) the Brewer system might be weaker and thinner then we want to believe.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2019, 9:54 AM Post
Been super high on Webb as well and throwing out Sheets Lite comments since drafted. His whole career is linked to if he can throw strikes consistently. If he can, he could special!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2019, 1:37 PM Post
wallus said:
KeithStone53151 said:

Roegner
Ashby
Z. Brown
Sunitsch
Supak
Andrews
Webb

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 156 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test