LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 47 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Farm System Rankings & Prospect Valuations

Offline  Re: 2019 Farm System Rankings & Prospect Valuations

Posted: December 04, 2018, 9:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
Reds list up today over at FanGraphs. Looks like they have the best farm in the division, but they probably should since they've been so bad for so long...

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-33- ... nati-reds/

This bit from the system summary seemed relevant with DJ's recent hiring...

We always say that having too much talent is never a problem, but too much talent is decidedly not the problem on the pitching side. Tony Santillan, Vladimir Gutierrez, and some middle relief types should all go from this list to getting big league looks at some point this year, and Hunter Greene could be the frontline guy they need long-term, but the hurlers on this list aren’t answering short-term questions at the big league level. Once quality depth presents itself on the major league pitching staff, the lineup will probably be good enough to compete, so pitching remains the challenge going forward for Cincinnati.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 2:12 PM Post
SoCalBrewfan said:
I honestly think the system is at a low ebb, and a bottom ten rating would be deserved. It's not surprising; we've graduated some nice pitchers and traded away 11 minor leaguers to boost the major league roster last summer. Still, Hiura is the only guy I'd bet actual dollars on being a major league regular at this point. That's not disastrous given that we have good long term assets in place across much of the major league roster, and guys on the brink at some of the places where the major league team has holes (e.g., Dubon, Hiura, Nottingham). It does mean there are fewer bullets for upcoming trades, and it would be wise (in my opinion) to focus on free agency to add pieces this year.

I get that we can point to individuals who are talented and could take steps forward. My sense in following the Brewers and other teams for years is that there are always guys in every system who are on the rise but as yet underrated. We just know who they are in our system because we obsess over their every move. I don't honestly believe that the Brewers have more such players than most other teams, though I would of course be happy to be proven wrong. I like a number of guys from their last draft or three, and it will be interesting to see whether, or to what extent, the newfound interest in Latin America pays dividends, but for now I think the cupboard is fairly bare.

I'd disagree to an extent:
I see Stokes as a Brady Clark with more pop - and he will be at AAA. Corey Ray is a left-handed Keon Broxton at worst. Lucas Erceg is also close, and there are Dubon, Hager, and Weston Wilson.

Supak, Brown, and Olczak are all going to be very good, I think.

It's the lower levels where I see some folks emerging. Ryan Aguilar, Jesus Chirinos, David Fry, Cooper Hummel, Tristan Lutz, Bryce Turang, Clayton Andrews, Victor Vargas, Scott Sunitsch, Cameron Roegener, and Aaron Ashby all look like they could be in the next wave or two of major league players.

Some other folks take a while to develop - I think we may need the patience shown for Tyrone Taylor with Trent Grisham, for instance. Jorge Ortega and QTC are both coming off injuries.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2018, 9:25 PM Post
Global Moderator
Final NL Central list is up at FanGraphs for the Cubs. Easily the worst farm in the division, though it sounds like Alzolay could possibly make an impact this year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-31- ... cago-cubs/

Top Ten Prospects in the Central for me would probably be...

01. Senzel (CIN)
02. Hiura (MIL)
03. Reyes (STL)
04. Greene (CIN)
05. Trammell (CIN)
06. Hayes (PIT)
07. Keller (PIT)
08. Knizner (STL)
09. Ray (MIL)
10. Stokes (MIL)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2018, 11:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
sveumrules said:
Final NL Central list is up at FanGraphs for the Cubs. Easily the worst farm in the division, though it sounds like Alzolay could possibly make an impact this year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-31- ... cago-cubs/

Top Ten Prospects in the Central for me would probably be...

01. Senzel (CIN)
02. Hiura (MIL)
03. Reyes (STL)
04. Greene (CIN)
05. Trammell (CIN)
06. Hayes (PIT)
07. Keller (PIT)
08. Knizner (STL)
09. Ray (MIL)
10. Stokes (MIL)

I don't get too invested in the MLB Draft because I don't know the guys that well. But back in 2106 I really liked Taylor Trammell. I was hoping he'd drop to us at #46. He went to the Reds at #35.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 09, 2018, 11:10 AM Post
Wonder how expendible Stokes & Ray make each other? Both have pretty similar profiles with Ray being the bigger name with precieved higher ceiling. Scouts tend to love Stokes more than fans. Brewers are clearly very high on him. I don’t think both have place here in the future really.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 09, 2018, 8:23 PM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
Wonder how expendible Stokes & Ray make each other? Both have pretty similar profiles with Ray being the bigger name with precieved higher ceiling. Scouts tend to love Stokes more than fans. Brewers are clearly very high on him. I don’t think both have place here in the future really.

I disagree. I think they both have a future in Milwaukee as the replacements for Thames, Braun, Santana, and Broxton.

Ideally, the Crew would work Ray in all three outfield spots and first base, and use Stokes in all three OF spots as well.

Ray and Stokes will spend most of 2019 in San Antonio. Braun's deal ends after 2020, when Broxton and Santana will both be pretty expensive in arby - and will have established enough value to land some lottery ticket-type prospects in Adam Lind-esque deals.

The big question is if one of them can seize a starting spot, and if the other can be effective as a 4th OF or an OF/1B.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 09, 2018, 9:35 PM Post
clancyphile said:
YoungGeezy1 said:

I disagree. I think they both have a future in Milwaukee as the replacements for Thames, Braun, Santana, and Broxton.

Ideally, the Crew would work Ray in all three outfield spots and first base, and use Stokes in all three OF spots as well.

Ray and Stokes will spend most of 2019 in San Antonio. Braun's deal ends after 2020, when Broxton and Santana will both be pretty expensive in arby - and will have established enough value to land some lottery ticket-type prospects in Adam Lind-esque deals.

The big question is if one of them can seize a starting spot, and if the other can be effective as a 4th OF or an OF/1B.

I don’t think either can be or would ever be tried at 1B. They are pretty strictly OFs but both can play all 3. I mean Stokes is 5’8 and from perfect game never even worked infield at showcases (unlike many who started off as SS’s). Ray also is not very big & with his athletic ability don’t see 1b. Erceg or Gatewood make much more sense as 4 corner players (1b 3b LF RF).

Blows my mind when people act like you can just throw anyone at 1b. Doesn’t work like that.

Still high on Tyrone Taylor & hope he gets a look this season to see what he has. Profiles like a real solid 4th OF.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 47 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test