BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2019 Pre-Season Edition

Offline  Re: BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2019 Pre-Season Edition

Posted: June 28, 2019, 10:30 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
reillymcshane said:
Boomer5 said:
Thanks for the updates. Great work!

You're welcome.

I like how I say Dubon looks like a utility guy - and then he goes and pops 2 HR and raises his OPS by 40-50 points.

Does that mean if you say Grisham profiles as a AAAA guy, he'll turn into Hank Aaron?

Uhh....wow. I guess it actually does!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2019, 10:41 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
clancyphile said:

how many of the "toolsy" prospects flame out? Clint Coulter, Victor Roache

I don't think I ever heard Roache referred to as 'toolsy'. Dude had power - nothing more. Coulter wasn't much different - although he did have a strong arm.

Well....let me say it then. Coulter was very toolsy. I don't think Roache was, but Coulter was a very-very good athlete. I was a big fan and very disappointed that he couldn't stick behind the plate. I think he could have stuck behind the plate and then his bat would have looked much better. But, that horse has been put down and I kicked it several times now. Coulter was a decent hitter last year, but NOT as someone who played any of the corner positions.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2019 Pre-Season Edition

Posted: July 06, 2019, 10:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
Here's a July review of our Top 25 list:

#1 Keston Hiura, 2B, age 22 - Milwaukee Brewers
Back to the Big Leagues for Keston - hopefully for good. He’s going to have his growing pains, but he has the chance to be the best hitter the system has produced in more than a decade.

#2 Zack Brown, RHSP, age 24 - AAA San Antonio
His season has gone from mediocre to bad. 6.01 ERA, 49 BB in just 82 IP. Hard to watch this happen after making such progress in 2018.

#3 Corey Ray, OF, age 24 - AAA San Antonio
Injuries have clouded an already bad season (.546 OPS, 44%K rate) for Ray. He has just begun his rehab assignment, so let’s hope he rebounds in the second half.

#4 Brice Turang, SS, age 19 - A- Wisconsin
Has cooled off a bit, but still hitting .284. Assuming Hiura graduates from the prospect list, Turang is likely the system’s top player in our next poll.

#5 Tristen Lutz, OF, age 20 - A+ Carolina
After a poor April, Lutz has been solid, yet unspectacular. Still a very interesting prospect, but can’t wait to see him breakout.

#6 Aaron Ashby, LHSP, age 21 - A- Wisconsin
Has improved all season, even after his promotion to Wisconsin. He could be our top pitching prospect very soon.

#7 Mauricio Dubon, 2B/SS, age 24 - Milwaukee Brewers
A good batting average (.307) and a power surge (career high 14 HR) has allowed Dubon to reach the majors (due to Arcia’s injury). Time for the young man to shine.

#8 Lucas Erceg, 3B, age 24 - AAA San Antonio
After a strong start, Erceg has struggled badly - his BA falling all the way to .200. He’s striking out a lot more than in past years, but is on pace for more HRs than any season as a professional. However, the crashing batting average is troubling.

#9 Braden Webb, RHSP, age 24 - A+ Carolina
After a disastrous start, Webb was demoted to Carolina, where he rebounded (3.44 ERA in 36 IP). Unfortunately, he landed on the DL last month and has not come off.

#10 Trey Supak, RHSP, age 22 - AA Biloxi
2.36 ERA in 103 IP for 2019. You would have to think that a promotion to AAA should be coming sooner than later. Likely will vie with Aaron Ashby as the system's top pitching prospect.

#11 Jacob Nottingham, C, age 24 - AAA San Antonio
Solid production (.769 OPS) combined with improving defense is encouraging.

#12 Troy Stokes, Jr., OF, age 23 - AAA San Antonio
Stokes never had a great hit tool, and that deficiency is showing itself off at AAA as he is only hitting .213. He does other things well, but his inability to hit for a good average will limit his upside.

#13 Payton Henry, C, age 21 - A+ Carolina
In addition to a 30% strikeout rate, Henry’s walk rate is a career low 5.5%. Still showing some nice pop with 26 extra base hits this year (one shy of his career high).

#14 Adrian Houser, RHP, age 26 - Milwaukee
Houser has graduated from our list. Congrats to Adrian, and let’s hope he continues to have great success for the Brewers.

#15 Joe Gray, OF, age 19 - Rookie Rocky Mountain Vibes
Has only appeared in 10 games this year.

#16 Tyrone Taylor, OF, age 25 - AAA San Antonio
After a nice start, Taylor has floundered (.218 BA), then got hurt and missed most of June. He’s on rehab assignment and should be back shortly.

#17 Carlos Rodriguez, OF, age 18 - Rookie AZL
Has only played one game in 2019.

#18 Trent Grisham, OF, age 22 - AAA San Antonio
Grisham’s improved play (18 HR, .368 OBP) has led to a promotion to AAA. If he keeps performing well, he may get a September call up.

#19 Marcos Diplan, RHP, age 22 - AA Biloxi
Has moved to the bullpen, and done better (6.86 ERA as a starter vs 4.11 ERA as a reliever). Still walks way too many batters (31 in 51 innings).

#20 Jake Gatewood, 1B, age 23 - AA Biloxi
Difficult year for Gatewood. HIs numbers are not good (.174 BA, .540 OPS). He started the year late, so let’s hope he can get things going in the second half.

#21 Je’Von Ward, OF, age 19 - A- Wisconsin
Tough year for Je’Von. .228 BA, .641 OPS. The 12% walk rate is nice, but nothing much else to get excited about for 2019.

#22 Mario Feliciano, C, age 20 - A+ Carolina
Feliciano’s rebound campaign continues. His hitting has cooled off a little, but he’s still leading the Carolina League in HRs with 14.

#23 Drew Rasmussen, RHP, age 23 - AA Biloxi
Rasmussen’s stellar 2019 his a bump at Biloxi, where his has been solid rather than spectacular. Has 19 walks and 41 strikeouts in 34 innings at AA .

#24 Micah Bello, OF, age 18 - Rookie Rookie Mountain Vibes
Has looked good this year (although in only 18 games) with a .895 OPS.

#25 Eduardo Garcia, SS, age 16, DSL Brewers
Garcia has been great in limited work this year, producing a .919 OPS in his first 10 games. Still only 16 years old.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
Gatewood, Ray, and Stokes warrant mulligans due to injury.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test