Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 60 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Drew Rasmussen

Offline  Re: Drew Rasmussen

Posted: May 11, 2019, 2:25 AM Post
Greenleaf1 said:
Wow, that was fast, promoted to AA already:

https://www.milb.com/carolina-mudcats/n ... _306943714

Two things stand out to me in this article. The first;

He was drafted by the Rays in the supplemental first round, but a post-draft physical revealed complications from the first Tommy John surgery so acute that he required a second elbow reconstruction that kept him out for all of the 2018 season.

I think that's better than having a second, separate injury. It's more encouraging.

The second part though, he wants to throw a slower pitch. Great. Wonderful. That'd likely make him much more dangerous. Too much velocity, not usually a problem, but if he could extend the range from 80-81 to 99, that's much better than 89-99.

But PLEASE tell me someone is encouraging him to go with the curveball and just not even try to screw around with the splitter. There's no reason for him to start throwing a splitter now. It's the worst pitch, puts the most strain on the elbow and forearm and it's just not necessary. Flip up a few curve balls. He's a pitcher, I'm sure he can already throw a curveball, it's probably just not developed.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Drew Rasmussen

Posted: May 14, 2019, 7:10 PM Post
4 ip only 1 k.

Kinda of a pitch to contact game, little over 40 pitches. Maybe he just wanted to be efficient with his pitches?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 14, 2019, 9:31 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
4 ip only 1 k.

Kinda of a pitch to contact game, little over 40 pitches. Maybe he just wanted to be efficient with his pitches?

The good: 1.5 ERA and 1 whip over his 1st 6 innings in AA

The hmmmm: 2 Ks?

The bad: Sample size alert but the GO/AO has fallen to 0.75. It was 1 or 1.25 the levels before.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 14, 2019, 11:49 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Rasmussen has less than 20 IP as a pro and 6 IP above A-ball. His stats at the moment have almost no meaning beyond anecdotal observations.

The single most important thing is that his stuff is still there. He’s throwing 96-99 with a plus slider and usable changeup. That’s what will get him to Milwaukee.

The stats will fall into place.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2019, 1:41 AM Post
And That said:
Rasmussen has less than 20 IP as a pro and 6 IP above A-ball. His stats at the moment have almost no meaning beyond anecdotal observations.

The single most important thing is that his stuff is still there. He’s throwing 96-99 with a plus slider and usable changeup. That’s what will get him to Milwaukee.

Not arguing, but blowing 96-99 past youngins can happen when your FB is flat easier than it can as you climb. A slider can fool kids easier than more experienced batters. Any slow down makes you at least wonder how good his stuff is. If numbers kept being as seismic you jump him up again. If they taper off a bit, you pause a bit. All I'm doing is wondering and pausing a bit. He has the arm talent. Deception and movement matter and we don't know to what degree he has that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2019, 6:55 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
And That said:

Not arguing, but blowing 96-99 past youngins can happen when your FB is flat easier than it can as you climb. A slider can fool kids easier than more experienced batters. Any slow down makes you at least wonder how good his stuff is. If numbers kept being as seismic you jump him up again. If they taper off a bit, you pause a bit. All I'm doing is wondering and pausing a bit. He has the arm talent. Deception and movement matter and we don't know to what degree he has that.

The point of the minor leagues isn't necessarily to demonstrate how good you already are. The point is to develop. I don't think anybody is saying that Rasmussen could come up to the Majors tomorrow and completely blow everyone away. This is his first taste of pro ball and the organization clearly has enough confidence in his stuff to promote him twice in short order, probably because they think he isn't really going to develop or learn much more in A ball. But at some point, he's going to need time to develop his offerings, and he's also pitched like 6 innings at AA so far. Even as small sample size warnings go, that's a pretty damn small sample size.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2019, 7:21 AM Post
Hopefully those first 6 IP without striking out 18 in AA don't prevent his name from finding a way to get on the list of top 30 Brewer prospects at the end of this year...he sure wasn't good enough to be on the list this preseason!

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-32-prospects-milwaukee-brewers/

I really do hope Rasmussen stays healthy, because he's a big league pitcher.

I'm sure other organizations have guys like this in their system that are question marks only due to injury concerns, and when they prove to be healthy they just fly up the system ladder without receiving much of any love from the BAs or MLB Pipelines of the world because there just wasn't enough time to write about him - but I do find it comical that scouting services who put these type of prospect rankings together can't find a way to put a guy with this kind of arm talent somewhere in the top 30 of a system that's supposedly below par. It's not like they picked this guy up from a supermarket and gave him a ball and were shocked he was hitting upper 90's with command.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2019, 8:14 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
TJseven7 said:
Any slow down makes you at least wonder how good his stuff is.

It does not.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2019, 8:35 AM Post
Global Moderator
Rasmussen did get a mention among the others of note section in the FG write up of the system for whatever that is or isn't worth.

Putting together prospect lists is about taking into account the full range of potential outcomes & weighing them against each other based upon their individual likelihoods. I'd say Drew's performed within the top 1-5% of potential outcomes thus far which means there was a 95-99% chance he wouldn't.

Even though Drew is obviously talented, he had yet to throw a professional IP, didn't pitch at all in 2018 & only 64 total innings in 2016-17 on account of two different elbow procedures.

He came in at #23 on the preseason poll here & only made 7 of 27 ballots. Four of those ballots had him in the top seven, three had him between 15-24 & twenty had him outside the top 25. That is a pretty good microcosm of the wide range of potential outcomes entering the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2019, 9:49 AM Post
sveumrules said:
Rasmussen did get a mention among the others of note section in the FG write up of the system for whatever that is or isn't worth.

Putting together prospect lists is about taking into account the full range of potential outcomes & weighing them against each other based upon their individual likelihoods. I'd say Drew's performed within the top 1-5% of potential outcomes thus far which means there was a 95-99% chance he wouldn't.

Even though Drew is obviously talented, he had yet to throw a professional IP, didn't pitch at all in 2018 & only 64 total innings in 2016-17 on account of two different elbow procedures.

He came in at #23 on the preseason poll here & only made 7 of 27 ballots. Four of those ballots had him in the top seven, three had him between 15-24 & twenty had him outside the top 25. That is a pretty good microcosm of the wide range of potential outcomes entering the season.

I’m one that had him in my top 7, I think 7th if I remember correctly, for CC to single this guy out in ST, to say how impressive he was, and then the crew activating him for the T Rat game at miller park to make his debut really let’s me know how highly they think of him. He’s now my #1 and it’s not close.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2019, 4:11 PM Post
And That said:
TJseven7 said:

It does not.

Because you know he isn't simply overpowering novice hitters at the lower level? Or getting swings on a slider due to poor plate discipline more than fooling batters? Jacob Barnes could put up the same numbers in A and A+.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2019, 6:26 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
TJseven7 said:
And That said:
TJseven7 said:

It does not.

Because you know he isn't simply overpowering novice hitters at the lower level? Or getting swings on a slider due to poor plate discipline more than fooling batters? Jacob Barnes could put up the same numbers in A and A+.

Because I trust my eyes in the three games I’ve seen him pitch, and because I trust the reports that I’ve seen lauding his stuff. Six innings in his first taste of AA is not going to make me rethink these things.

He’s not a finished product to be sure. He needs to work on FB command and use his CH more effectively, off the top of my head. And in order to remain a starter, he’s going to have to add a curve or splitter to get that third velocity band.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 15, 2019, 10:22 PM Post
Maybe we are talking about different things here. I'm speaking in reference to him being able to be a part of our pen late season this year. I think you are talking top end projection. Top end projection doesn't change. I haven't changed that. I'm thinking slow down in reference to him waltzing right up the system into our bullpen this year due to the AA start.

Potential is potential. I'm pumping the breaks on when.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 1:54 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
sveumrules said:

I’m one that had him in my top 7, I think 7th if I remember correctly, for CC to single this guy out in ST, to say how impressive he was, and then the crew activating him for the T Rat game at miller park to make his debut really let’s me know how highly they think of him. He’s now my #1 and it’s not close.

Now that Keston's up or regardless?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 2:01 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
Maybe we are talking about different things here. I'm speaking in reference to him being able to be a part of our pen late season this year. I think you are talking top end projection. Top end projection doesn't change. I haven't changed that. I'm thinking slow down in reference to him waltzing right up the system into our bullpen this year due to the AA start.

Potential is potential. I'm pumping the breaks on when.

Why is it that some people feel the need to "police" others beliefs on when a prospect is going to come up and how good he could be if or when they get up?

We had this discussion with Hiura coming into the year at AAA.

Nobody's looking at him and saying, "oh, he was good in a few innings in AA, he's the next Scherzer," there was pre-existing information about the guy out there.

This is basically akin to someone saying, "I'm just being a realist." Go ahead, pump the brakes if you feel they should be pumped. No reason others can't believe that he's capable of helping the Brewers pen out later in the season if he continues to pitch well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 2:05 AM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
4 ip only 1 k.

Or perhaps he's trying to flip a second breaking ball up there as he said he was going to or wanted to in that article.

Either way, he's chugging along. We all know about the talent, just keep stacking these outings on top of each other, don't freak out when he has that ugly outing, and stay healthy. If he does those things, he'll force the Brewers hand.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 2:12 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
And That said:
TJseven7 said:

It does not.

And Jacob Barnes has proven definitively he can get guys out at the big league level. Even this year he's given up all 10 of his ER's in 3 outings over 2 1/3 innings and hasn't given up a run his other 12 games while striking out nearly 12 per 9 innings.

So...maybe Barnes just chokes, maybe it's mental. Either way, his stuff is good enough to get hitters out. He just falls apart from time to time. But Barnes isn't Rassmusen. As was mentioned, this isn't just some guy who came out of nowhere. He was the ace of one of the best programs in all of college baseball, pitched in a couple college world series, had TJ, came back and pitched again in relief, then they saw some issues with that first TJ.

If the first TJ had been clean and gone well, he's likely a top 10 pick in the draft. So there was already proof his stuff was exceptional. Now we have proof that he's back and healthy and if there's any doubt about what the Brewers think about his stuff, look at how quickly he's moved up in a very short period of time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2019, 9:37 PM Post
Why is it that some people feel the need to "police" others beliefs.

Who is policing who? Before I go off explaining how 5 star recruits and success vs players who don't make the majors is a moot point... who is policing who.

Cuz I'm pretty sure I stated my opinion and had not 1 but now 2 people say I'm wrong and can't have my opinion because of factors that don't mean a thing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2019, 8:02 AM Post
OnTheBlack said:
Brew crew 92 said:
sveumrules said:

Now that Keston's up or regardless?

1.) Hiura
2.) Rasmussen

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2019, 10:34 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
Why is it that some people feel the need to "police" others beliefs.

Who is policing who? Before I go off explaining how 5 star recruits and success vs players who don't make the majors is a moot point... who is policing who.

Cuz I'm pretty sure I stated my opinion and had not 1 but now 2 people say I'm wrong and can't have my opinion because of factors that don't mean a thing.

I'm with you here. You have every right to say you don't think he will reach the majors this year or ever, I don't think there is a chance either this season. If others have a different opinion that is fine, just because I have a different opinion doesn't mean I am trying to police what you think.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 60 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test