LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 109 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Drew Rasmussen

Offline  Re: Drew Rasmussen

Posted: May 19, 2019, 5:49 PM Post
67 Pitches!!!

4 ip 1 h 2 bb 6 ks

16 more pitches thrown than any other start this year. I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited about a brewer pitching prospect.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 20, 2019, 11:14 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
TJseven7 said:
Maybe we are talking about different things here. I'm speaking in reference to him being able to be a part of our pen late season this year. I think you are talking top end projection.

No - I'm talking about what he is right now. His stuff hasn't changed at all since being promoted from Carolina to Biloxi. With his current stuff and a modest uptick in command, he could help the Brewers later this year, if that's how they choose to use him. 6 innings (or now 10 innings) of data doesn't change that unless there's an underlying reason for a change in the data. As far as I can tell, any change in the data is just due to noise. That he struck out a few fewer guys his first two times out in the Southern League is a shrug.

Rasmussen would probably be a usable low leverage reliever at the MLB level right now. Refinements over the next few months will dictate whether or not the Brewers decide to commit to him as a higher leverage reliever in MLB later this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 20, 2019, 5:15 PM Post
After missing all of last year and only pitching a total of 64 innings between 2017 and 2016 combined, I'd be shocked if the Brewers allow Rasmussen to pitch into September.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 20, 2019, 5:26 PM Post
Brew crew 92 said:
67 Pitches!!!

4 ip 1 h 2 bb 6 ks

16 more pitches thrown than any other start this year. I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited about a brewer pitching prospect.

I remember when our future rotation was going to be led by guys like Nick Neugebauer, JM Gold, Mark Rogers, Mike Jones, Jose Mieses, Paul Stewart, etc. I like what I'm reading, but I've learned to temper my enthusiasm.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2019, 4:22 PM Post
LouisEly said:
After missing all of last year and only pitching a total of 64 innings between 2017 and 2016 combined, I'd be shocked if the Brewers allow Rasmussen to pitch into September.

Weren't we equally sure that they weren't going to let him go over 3 IP/50 pitches as well?

He's already in Double A. If he's healthy and throwing well, I think they use him in the post-season or in a post-season push.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2019, 5:02 PM Post
HiAndTight said:
LouisEly said:

Weren't we equally sure that they weren't going to let him go over 3 IP/50 pitches as well?

He's already in Double A. If he's healthy and throwing well, I think they use him in the post-season or in a post-season push.

I don't know who "we" is, but my opinion is based on the Brewers recent track record with pitchers who underwent TJ procedures. Adrian Houser - who the Brewers allowed to eclipse 80 pitches on three occasions last year - was shut down after September 1st, even though his rehab started in 2017 and pitched 28 innings in 2017. The major league bullpen was a little full last September, but they didn't send him to the AFL either. He only threw 92 innings total on the season last year.

Rasmussen's innings have been light - low pitch counts - so he may very well see more than 100 innings this year. But I don't foresee many more than that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2019, 5:55 PM Post
LouisEly said:
I don't know who "we" is, but my opinion is based on the Brewers recent track record with pitchers who underwent TJ procedures. Adrian Houser - who the Brewers allowed to eclipse 80 pitches on three occasions last year - was shut down after September 1st, even though his rehab started in 2017 and pitched 28 innings in 2017. The major league bullpen was a little full last September, but they didn't send him to the AFL either. He only threw 92 innings total on the season last year.

Rasmussen's innings have been light - low pitch counts - so he may very well see more than 100 innings this year. But I don't foresee many more than that.

How many times can you send a prospect to the AZFL? I thought they could only go once, but I may be mistaken. Houser pitched in it the year before despite not coming back until halfway through the season.

Either way, I'm not sure Houser is the same caliber arm that Rasmussen is. Perhaps if the Brewers had only one high leverage reliever they could really count on and Houser was throwing the ball well, he may have been used out of the pen last year. Tough to say since we left pitchers like Anderson off the post-season roster and there really weren't many innings to go around. That makes the decision easier. This year, even assuming we pick up one or two relievers, we're still going to likely need some internal help.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 22, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
Got a Rasmussen question in the Longenhangen chat today, but unfortunately didn't get an answer...

Ronnie

12:49 Is Drew Rasmussen the primary cause of the Global Helium Shortage?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:49 lol, that's very clever
all time chat question

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 23, 2019, 9:59 PM Post
And That said:
TJseven7 said:
Maybe we are talking about different things here. I'm speaking in reference to him being able to be a part of our pen late season this year. I think you are talking top end projection.

No - I'm talking about what he is right now. His stuff hasn't changed at all since being promoted from Carolina to Biloxi. With his current stuff and a modest uptick in command, he could help the Brewers later this year, if that's how they choose to use him. 6 innings (or now 10 innings) of data doesn't change that unless there's an underlying reason for a change in the data. As far as I can tell, any change in the data is just due to noise. That he struck out a few fewer guys his first two times out in the Southern League is a shrug.

Rasmussen would probably be a usable low leverage reliever at the MLB level right now. Refinements over the next few months will dictate whether or not the Brewers decide to commit to him as a higher leverage reliever in MLB later this year.

And I'm pausing on seeing him in MKE because every step has been less Ks and more lifted hits. GO/AO is now sub 1 and Ks are falling. Stuff is great, but Williams and Barnes have stuff. Every step up seems to make his stuff look less dominant.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 24, 2019, 7:47 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
I'll just leave it at this. Rasmussen has fewer than 30 pro innings and is already pitching in AA. So he's already accomplished what takes most pitchers hundreds of innings to accomplish if they do it at all. Less than half of the innings it took Brendan McKay. He also has so few pro innings that it's next to impossible to try to find much meaning looking at his stat line. He's doing slightly worse against better hitters - I personally do not find this surprising or worrying. It's also 10 innings of work. Again, the stuff is still there. The results will follow.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Drew Rasmussen

Posted: May 24, 2019, 10:32 AM Post
OnTheBlack said:
OnTheBlack said:
So is Kirby gonna be ready for a full season team any time soon? He pitched last year, so what happened?

So...just gotta assume that nobody on here knows what's going on with Kirby?

https://twitter.com/Todd_Rosiak/status/ ... 5626283009

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 25, 2019, 7:52 PM Post
73 pitches

4 ip 3 h 0 r 3 bb 5 ks

6 more pitches than his last start.

4th start in AA only given up 1 run.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 26, 2019, 8:24 PM Post
TJseven7 said:
And That said:
TJseven7 said:

And I'm pausing on seeing him in MKE because every step has been less Ks and more lifted hits. GO/AO is now sub 1 and Ks are falling. Stuff is great, but Williams and Barnes have stuff. Every step up seems to make his stuff look less dominant.

If he was pushed up through the prior levels any faster he would have needed to be called up in the middle of a start that finished the same day at the next level up...trying to glean any info worth a darn off these statlines over a miniscule sample size is a fool's errand.

Rasmussen basically advanced from spring training to AA in the minor league career equivalent of a sneeze in his 1st couple months of pro ball. They didn't base those advancements off his statlines, they were off scouts and staff saying "my God that arm doesn't belong at this level!" If he's healthy and in command of his pitches, he's a major league late inning reliever at worst right now assuming health...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 28, 2019, 5:29 PM Post
Let's try AAA folks!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2019, 12:35 AM Post
Or he's catching up to where an early pick used on a college aged pitcher would be if he didn't miss extra time with the 2nd TJ. He's 24 in 2 months.

Nice seeing that they trust his pitch count over 50.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2019, 8:40 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
Or he's catching up to where an early pick used on a college aged pitcher would be if he didn't miss extra time with the 2nd TJ. He's 24 in 2 months.

You're picking a weird hill to die on here. A 24 year old minor league arm off TJ that's wrecking every level. I remember CC having very favorable comments about his arm in ST. He may not make the majors this year, but very strong chance we see him in AAA at the rate he's going...possibly after only a couple more starts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2019, 2:16 PM Post
Pipeline just graduated Houser from the Brewers top 30, and plugged in Rasmussen at number 15...currently ranking him as our 5th best pitching prospect.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2019, 4:46 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
TJseven7 said:

You're picking a weird hill to die on here. A 24 year old minor league arm off TJ that's wrecking every level. I remember CC having very favorable comments about his arm in ST. He may not make the majors this year, but very strong chance we see him in AAA at the rate he's going...possibly after only a couple more starts.

The nature of hype. When its high its almost always too high. When it swings the other way its typically too drastic. I'm not killing the guy, I have my concerns and I'm sitting in rational territory. Thrilled to have him in the system. Not buying the 2019 playoff secret weapon stuff.

For his age, he's getting promoted aggressively like he should be. I even called the promotion to Biloxi between his last A+ game and the AA promotion.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2019, 5:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
TJseven7 said:
KeithStone53151 said:
TJseven7 said:

The nature of hype. When its high its almost always too high. When it swings the other way its typically too drastic. I'm not killing the guy, I have my concerns and I'm sitting in rational territory. Thrilled to have him in the system. Not buying the 2019 playoff secret weapon stuff.

For his age, he's getting promoted aggressively like he should be. I even called the promotion to Biloxi between his last A+ game and the AA promotion.

I actually think you guys agree but don't realize it yet.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2019, 5:30 PM Post
markedman5 said:
OnTheBlack said:
OnTheBlack said:
So is Kirby gonna be ready for a full season team any time soon? He pitched last year, so what happened?

So...just gotta assume that nobody on here knows what's going on with Kirby?

https://twitter.com/Todd_Rosiak/status/ ... 5626283009

That's a shame. Gotta feel bad for that kid. He keeps fighting to get back and keeps getting knocked down by one issue or another.
Hopefully, he is able to make it back this year and at least get into some games and put himself in position next year to fly through the system as Rasmussen has.
I doubt many people thought Rasmussen would be primed to make an impact on the Brewers BP at the start of Spring Training this year, but here he is, dominating at AA.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 109 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test