LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 135 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2019

Offline  Re: Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2019
Posted: December 12, 2019, 11:33 AM Post
Brewers didn't lose anyone in major league portion. Also didn't select anyone.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 11:39 AM Post
I guess teams like some of our prospects I always liked Greip even though a lot didn't think he could be a major league reliever.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 11:45 AM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Sounds like we just lost Michael Peterson in the minor league phase. Don't think we lost anyone in the major league phase

Brewers also lost Nate Griep, Bryan Torres and Jordan Brink in the AAA phase.

2 Thing:

1) It kind of shocks me how Stearns is all about finding value, but seems to have no interest in taking a Rule 5 guy. These guys are proven minor league talents that haven’t been given a shot. It’s a much safer pick than paying some 8th round draft pick or whatever $100,000. You get a guy already proven in the minors who could be on the cusp of the MLB. And if he doesn’t work, you get half of that back. Honestly it’s surprising he’s not involved. Even for a bullpen arm or SOMETHING!

I really wanted Roberto Ramos and felt that he could of been the lefty platoon option at first base. I’ll be interested to see what he does the next year or two.

2) Extremely disappointed we lost Griep. The guy has posted very good numbers throughout his minor league career. I don’t see how you can let a relief pitcher go who would be in AAA that has shown promise all throughout the minor leagues. For being an organization that has a tough time developing pitching and also wanting to have cheap controllable talent at the MLB roster, it’s hard seeing that Griep couldn’t be a last guy in the bullpen option at the league minimum at some point even during the 2020 season.

Last edited by RollieTime on December 12, 2019, 11:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 11:50 AM Post
I can't believe no rebuilding team took a flyer on Zack Brown for their pen. Either this is the worst Brewer farm system ever or the leaguewide view of Brown from GMs isn't even close to the publications or our fan perceptions.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 11:51 AM Post
It is kind of odd they wouldn't protect Griep at the AAA level. He has been used as a closer pretty much since drafted and done fairly well so would seem to be a perfect guy for minor league depth.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 11:53 AM Post
adambr2 said:
I can't believe no rebuilding team took a flyer on Zack Brown for their pen. Either this is the worst Brewer farm system ever or the leaguewide view of Brown from GMs isn't even close to the publications or our fan perceptions.

Four Brewers were taken in the AAA phase of the Rule 5, so I'm guessing it's the latter. Brown will obviously have an opportunity to rebuild his value this year, but while he has talent, he's not especially special in any given area to a point where a team will dream on his upside. He's probably a back-end rotation guy or swing guy at best right now, if he even makes the majors.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 11:54 AM Post
RollieTime said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Sounds like we just lost Michael Peterson in the minor league phase. Don't think we lost anyone in the major league phase

2 Thing:

1) It kind of shocks me how Stearns is all about finding value, but seems to have no interest in taking a Rule 5 guy. These guys are proven minor league talents that haven’t been given a shot. It’s a much safer pick than paying some 8th round draft pick or whatever $100,000. You get a guy already proven in the minors who could be on the cusp of the MLB. And if he doesn’t work, you get half of that back. Honestly it’s surprising he’s not involved. Even for a bullpen arm or SOMETHING!

Stearns values flexibility and there is no flexibility at all with a Rule 5 pick. Yes he is value-oriented for sure but I think he prefers to be have the ability to shuffle the back of his roster as needed rather than be locked into a spot with a guy who is likely going to produce marginal results. In rebuilding years it might not matter so much but at this point I don't think we're looking for another Wei Chung Wang experiment.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 11:55 AM Post
Zack Brown being ranked as our #3 prospect this year doesn’t mean much. Most years or in most current farms he’d rank around #15 or so. I expected that he wouldn’t be selected and so did the Brewers

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 12:03 PM Post
https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/ ... 45920?s=20

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 12:12 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Sounds like we just lost Michael Petersen in the minor league phase. Don't think we lost anyone in the major league phase

Brewers had 57 players eligible.

They could have protected the maximum of 38 at the AAA level, which would have meant they could not be lost in the Minor League phase of Rule 5. More likely they would have protected 36 or 37 if they planned on making Minor League Phase Rule 5 picks of their own.

So approximately 19 or 20 players were exposed by being listed below the AAA level, and the four players above were among them.

We do know in the past that the Brewers have exposed players as "favors" in order to give them a chance at a new start -- Eric Farris was one.

That may have been the case here, particularly with Nate Griep (as this quote from the Brewers indicates). His bump to AAA by the Crew was delayed for sure.

In nearly all years (we've managed to get the list once or twice, but not this year), the farmhands don't know if they were listed on the AAA or AA level. The only four who know for sure they were on the AA list are the four players who were taken.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 12:18 PM Post
doesn't look like brewers made any selections today
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -analysis/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 12:20 PM Post
With so many open roster spots I just don’t get why a small market team doesn’t take a chance on a MLB ready player like Roberto Ramos. Very little risk and the payoff could be big. I mean you could send him back before Spring Training even starts or there is a small chance he becomes a Max Muncy or Jeff McNeill valuable player with tons of team control.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 12:44 PM Post
Really need to disagree with that line of reasoning Adambr2. In this case, DS values flexibility so much he is inflexible about a rule 5 player? I can understand about trying to hide a pitcher in the pen all year, but most of us here were advocating a selection of a position player to fill holes on the cheap and maybe striking gold, i.e Ramos, Santana and others. If they didn't work out, oh well, they get sent back no big loss and they go sign a leftover to do the job, is that not flexible? If anything, this proves DS is more of a traditional baseball GM, than the unorthodox new age executive he's been hailed to be! Side note: Did DS just show his hand on a possible Hader trade by not filling 1B/3B through the Rule 5 draft?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 12:59 PM Post
Jaylyn said:
Side note: Did DS just show his hand on a possible Hader trade by not filling 1B/3B through the Rule 5 draft?

I think it is possible to acquire a starting caliber 1B and/or 3B via trade without dealing Hader. Especially 1B. I have no doubt that they have multiple directions and options to fill those spots. It could be that they have free agent offers out there, and are waiting for decisions to come down before moving on to Plan B or C.

Also, I very much doubt there were any 3B or 1B prospects available in the Rule 5 that the team felt comfortable handing a starting spot to on what they continue to say will be a contending team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 1:31 PM Post
There were a bunch of guys I liked in last year's Rule 5 (Richie Martin, Drew Jackson, Jordan Romano), but I didn't find any of those guys this year. Seemed like kind of a weak field to me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 1:52 PM Post
Jaylyn said:
Side note: Did DS just show his hand on a possible Hader trade by not filling 1B/3B through the Rule 5 draft?

Stearns should be fired and have all of his stuff thrown onto the street if he tries filling a position with a Rule 5 pick when we are a competing team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 1:57 PM Post
Jaylyn said:
Really need to disagree with that line of reasoning Adambr2. In this case, DS values flexibility so much he is inflexible about a rule 5 player? I can understand about trying to hide a pitcher in the pen all year, but most of us here were advocating a selection of a position player to fill holes on the cheap and maybe striking gold, i.e Ramos, Santana and others. If they didn't work out, oh well, they get sent back no big loss and they go sign a leftover to do the job, is that not flexible? If anything, this proves DS is more of a traditional baseball GM, than the unorthodox new age executive he's been hailed to be! Side note: Did DS just show his hand on a possible Hader trade by not filling 1B/3B through the Rule 5 draft?

I think Stearns has already proven to be anything but a traditional GM. I don't think his Rule 5 involvement makes him any more or less traditional.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 4:02 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Jaylyn said:

I think it is possible to acquire a starting caliber 1B and/or 3B via trade without dealing Hader. Especially 1B. I have no doubt that they have multiple directions and options to fill those spots. It could be that they have free agent offers out there, and are waiting for decisions to come down before moving on to Plan B or C.

Also, I very much doubt there were any 3B or 1B prospects available in the Rule 5 that the team felt comfortable handing a starting spot to on what they continue to say will be a contending team.

Who was advocating handing a starting position to any Rule 5 pick? In the case of Ramos, who I would have chosen, you bring him to spring training and see if he can produce. If he can great, if not send him back and your out a few thousand. It's a gamble. Just like the Lindblom signing, DS is gambling that he can produce like he did in Korea. The difference is Lindblom is a $9 million bet, a Rule 5 pick is a 100 thousand wager. To be honest, I would have selected both Ramos and Santana, signed a vet like Frazier and go to spring training with a soft plan to have Frazier start with Santana as back up at 3rd. Ramos and Braun to platoon at 1st. If they don't pan out, there is still plenty of options. As far as the Hader comment, I would support a trade of Hader, selling high, but I don't want to give him away either. Other GM's will look at the holes on this team and think we NEED to trade him and it undercuts our position. With Frazier, Ramos and Santana, at least the team would have looked to be in a stronger position to demand more. It's all optics!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 4:33 PM Post
Jaylyn said:
Who was advocating handing a starting position to any Rule 5 pick? In the case of Ramos, who I would have chosen, you bring him to spring training and see if he can produce. If he can great, if not send him back and your out a few thousand. It's a gamble. Just like the Lindblom signing, DS is gambling that he can produce like he did in Korea. The difference is Lindblom is a $9 million bet, a Rule 5 pick is a 100 thousand wager. To be honest, I would have selected both Ramos and Santana, signed a vet like Frazier and go to spring training with a soft plan to have Frazier start with Santana as back up at 3rd. Ramos and Braun to platoon at 1st. If they don't pan out, there is still plenty of options. As far as the Hader comment, I would support a trade of Hader, selling high, but I don't want to give him away either. Other GM's will look at the holes on this team and think we NEED to trade him and it undercuts our position. With Frazier, Ramos and Santana, at least the team would have looked to be in a stronger position to demand more. It's all optics!

So small sample spring training performance is your gauge? Obviously they didn't take anyone because they didn't think there was anyone worth taking. If they thought Ramos could produce, they would have taken him. How do you know DS doesn't have a plate full of wheat he believes are better options? You don't just chew up 40 man spots on rule 5 picks to show "strength" to other GMs (who would never buy it anyway).

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2019, 4:51 PM Post
The Brewers did have Chad Spanberger, acquired for Chase Anderson.

Ramos would arguably be superfluous in that case. I suspect, though, Cooper Hummel might be an interesting NRI. Has played catcher and OF... maybe could handle first, and has quietly put up impressive seasons.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 135 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test