LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 135 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2019

Offline  Re: Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2019

Posted: November 05, 2019, 10:51 AM Post

Roster Guru
deadline to protect players is two weeks from tomorrow. eight open spots on the 40-man, so plenty of room.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2019, 6:02 PM Post
The deadline to add players to the 40 man and protect them from the rule 5 draft is tomorrow. Real interested to see what they do. Maybe learned to not protect borderline guys like Stokes because they could be let go with no restrictions during the season if there is a roster crunch. Appears now that they have a lot of room but that could change in August when trying to secure a playoff spot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2019, 7:40 PM Post
They need to protect all the arms that they can that the way this team has to build a rotation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2019, 9:15 PM Post
Was a weird year - the guys you thought were good bets at the beginning of the season had disappointing seasons (Brown, Ray, Webb, Sanchez), and then some guys came out of almost nowhere (Bickford, Hummel, Topa) to force the issue.

I don't know how many they'll protect, but I think my pecking order would be:

Z. Brown
Bickford
Sanchez
Ray
Feyereisen
Hummel
QT-C
Erceg (potential to switch him to the mound)
Webb

I could see the Brewers protecting most of them. I could see the Brewers protecting none of them. With only 33 on the roster right now, I think they add four and leave three spots for free agents. Could easily dump D. Guerra or Perdomo to open another roster spot or two for a FA. Need to add two FA SPs and a corner IF, maybe a C.

Dark horse is Justin Topa. He was hitting upper 90's last year. I think the Brewers were trying to hide him by not assigning him to the AFL.

Edit: Duh, totally forgot about Feyereisen. Though it is odd they didn't let him pitch at the end of the year when Biloxi was in the playoffs, so maybe they were trying to hide him with the intention of not protecting him.

Also, for every bit that AAA hitters stats were inflated last year, AAA pitchers stats were deflated, thus I'm a bit higher on Brown and Sanchez than most.

Last edited by LouisEly on November 20, 2019, 8:27 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2019, 11:53 PM Post
I'd guess the list will be real short.

Corey Ray
Zack Brown
and maybe J.P. Feyereisen

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 7:19 AM Post
LouisEly said:
Was a weird year - the guys you thought were good bets at the beginning of the season had disappointing seasons (Brown, Ray, Webb, Sanchez), and then some guys came out of almost nowhere (Bickford, Hummel, Topa) to force the issue.

I don't know how many they'll protect, but I think my pecking order would be:

Z. Brown
Bickford
Sanchez
Ray
Hummel
QT-C
Erceg (potential to switch him to the mound)
Webb

I could see the Brewers protecting most of them. I could see the Brewers protecting none of them. With only 33 on the roster right now, I think they add four and leave three spots for free agents. Could easily dump D. Guerra or Perdomo to open another roster spot or two for a FA. Need to add two FA SPs and a corner IF, maybe a C.

Dark horse is Justin Topa. He was hitting upper 90's last year. I think the Brewers were trying to hide him by not assigning him to the AFL.

Ray and Brown are locks in my opinion. I don't see them giving up on Erceg, either, so I think he'll be added. I'd guess Feyereisen as well, as there would be no reason to trade for him if they were just going to leave him unprotected, and he'd be a prime candidate to get picked as a reliever who throws gas and dominated AAA last season. Bickford, Sanchez and Webb are outside possibilities. I can't see protecting Hummel and QT-C

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 8:12 AM Post
I'll guess Brown, Ray, Bickford, Erceg, & Feyereisen

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 9:09 AM Post
I know someone mentioned before they though Ray had a .1% chance of being selected, disagree with that but I would put the chances of Erceg being selected at quite below .1%. Not protecting somebody from the 40 man does not mean the Brewers gave up on them. Guys like Max Muncy are left unprotected and called up in the same year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 12:13 PM Post
Tom
@Haudricourt
1m
Word is the #Brewers will be adding OF Corey Ray and RHP J.P. Feyereisen to their 40-man roster today, protecting them from Rule 5 draft. Apparently, the only players.

Adam McCalvy
@AdamMcCalvy
The Brewers will add outfielder Corey Ray (No. 4 on MLB Pipeline's list of Milwaukee's top prospects) and reliever J.P. Feyereisen to the 40-man roster today to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft. We'll see if more are added by the 7 p.m. deadline.

Really hope this isn't true.

Tom
@Haudricourt
Let's change my earlier tweet to only players we know are being protected SO Far: Word is the #Brewers will be adding OF Corey Ray and RHP J.P. Feyereisen to their 40-man roster today, protecting them from Rule 5 draft.

Guess I'll stand down and wait then.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 12:29 PM Post
Really hoping Bickford also gets protected. His numbers were eye popping once he got healthy this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 1:10 PM Post
Zack Brown is the only other guy I'd expect to be added, but he had a tough year so who knows if he'd be selected or what the internal evaluation of him is now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 1:15 PM Post
I’m hoping they add Nate Griep to the 40. Relief pitcher that throws fastball, changeup, slider with a little bit of a funky hitch in his motion and then explodes at the batter. I think a reliever with deception, 3 pitches, and who has done well at every stop and is now in AAA, deserves to be protected. I don’t see why he couldn’t fit in the back end of the bullpen or one of the first arms brought up on the shuttle this season. Especially making minimum for a number of seasons. We have a hard time developing pitching as it is and with the value of relief pitchers these days, he’s not a guy they should risk losing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 1:47 PM Post
How can you not protect Brown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 3:32 PM Post
recte44 said:

Maybe his stuff simply regressed. Hard to say. Maybe they have big plans for those other 40 man spots. There's still time to protect one or two more players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 3:39 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
recte44 said:

Maybe his stuff simply regressed. Hard to say. Maybe they have big plans for those other 40 man spots. There's still time to protect one or two more players.

They have five open spots remaining. And a few borderline guys already on the 40-man (looking at you, Saladino).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 4:21 PM Post
RollieTime said:
I’m hoping they add Nate Griep to the 40. Relief pitcher that throws fastball, changeup, slider with a little bit of a funky hitch in his motion and then explodes at the batter. I think a reliever with deception, 3 pitches, and who has done well at every stop and is now in AAA, deserves to be protected. I don’t see why he couldn’t fit in the back end of the bullpen or one of the first arms brought up on the shuttle this season. Especially making minimum for a number of seasons. We have a hard time developing pitching as it is and with the value of relief pitchers these days, he’s not a guy they should risk losing.

Griep is already 26 and pitched only an inning at AAA so far. He has control problems allowing 64 walks in only 112 innings pitched the last two years in AA ball. I believe the Brewers are thinking no team will select him because they would have to waste a spot on their MLB roster for the year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 4:26 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
KeithStone53151 said:
recte44 said:

They have five open spots remaining. And a few borderline guys already on the 40-man (looking at you, Saladino).

I think Brown was so bad at San Antonio last year (116 IPs/138 hits/65 walks/5 HBP/.298 avg. against) the Brewers believe no team will want to take him and risk keeping him on their MLB roster for the entire year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 5:29 PM Post
Outlander said:
I know someone mentioned before they though Ray had a .1% chance of being selected, disagree with that but I would put the chances of Erceg being selected at quite below .1%. Not protecting somebody from the 40 man does not mean the Brewers gave up on them. Guys like Max Muncy are left unprotected and called up in the same year.

that was probably me. I see zero reason anyone would waste a roster spot on a player with one good minor league season. Ray simply hasn't produced. He's under team control for several more seasons, but I can't believe any team would stash a guy in the majors, playing him for 1 automatic out per week. I haven't seen him play, so there's no traditional scouting I've done. But he's looking like a huge bust...like a Jed Bradley.

Bickford makes sense to me. He dominated in the 2h.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 7:04 PM Post
No Bickford or Brown

https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 70880?s=21

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2019, 7:26 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
KeithStone53151 said:
recte44 said:

4 after the trade this afternoon

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 135 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test