LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 122 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2019

Online  Re: Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2019

Posted: November 27, 2019, 9:54 PM Post
Global Moderator
wntrtxn21 said:
Eye Black said:
The part I don’t completely understand is Zack Brown still has some asset value, at least I would think so? If he ends up being one of the first players off the board in the Rule 5 draft, then it seems like they would have been better off to have protected him and worked out a trade this offseason in order to move him off their 40-man roster while retaining some value in return for him. I guess they can always work out a trade with the team that selects him in the Rule 5 draft (so the stipulations of returning him to Milwaukee don’t exist), but at that point the Brewers front office won’t have much leverage since they’ll be dealing with a single team. I guess it’s certainly possible (maybe likely?) they already floated him as a trade candidate earlier this offseason and couldn’t find any takers.

As an aside, the rosters expanding to 26-players seemingly makes it a lot easier for teams to carry Rule 5 selections on their rosters throughout the season, especially for rebuilding teams taking a chance on a player with high upside.

IMO the Brewers probably tried to do something with Brown, but got no takers. He was badly overmatched at AAA last year (5.79 ERA - many more hits than IPs - 1.73 WHIP - almost 5 BBs per 9). I don't see any team thinking he would be Rule 5 material. I believe the Brewers left him unprotected because they feel he isn't going anywhere so why waste a spot for him.

He obviously didn’t have a stellar campaign, but when put into the context of the overall PCL run environment last season he really wasn’t nearly as bad as we would traditionally think of those numbers.

There were 98 pitchers in the PCL that made 10+ starts last year (Zach Brown made 23 starts which was 8th most in the PCL last year), and the average age of those starters was just over 26 years old (average age of all PCL pitchers was 26.7). Brown was 24 years old last season, so still a couple of years below the average age.

Below is Zack Brown’s stat line compared to the league average pitching results in the PCL for 2019.

League Average (PCL):
5.49 ERA
1.523 WHIP
9.8 H9
1.5 HR9
3.9 BB9
8.9 SO9

Zack Brown:
5.79 ERA
1.731 WHIP
10.6 H9
1.2 HR9
4.9 BB9
7.6 SO9

So again, he was not good last year, but considering his previous track record as well as the fact he was in a horrendous run environment last year, I will be a little surprised if nobody takes a chance on him in the Rule 5 draft.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2019

Posted: November 27, 2019, 10:55 PM Post
Have to agree that leaving Brown unprotected makes no sense. He's absolutely going to get taken, the only question is if he sticks with his new team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 3:27 AM Post
Eye Black said:
wntrtxn21 said:
Eye Black said:
The part I don’t completely understand is Zack Brown still has some asset value, at least I would think so? If he ends up being one of the first players off the board in the Rule 5 draft, then it seems like they would have been better off to have protected him and worked out a trade this offseason in order to move him off their 40-man roster while retaining some value in return for him. I guess they can always work out a trade with the team that selects him in the Rule 5 draft (so the stipulations of returning him to Milwaukee don’t exist), but at that point the Brewers front office won’t have much leverage since they’ll be dealing with a single team. I guess it’s certainly possible (maybe likely?) they already floated him as a trade candidate earlier this offseason and couldn’t find any takers.

As an aside, the rosters expanding to 26-players seemingly makes it a lot easier for teams to carry Rule 5 selections on their rosters throughout the season, especially for rebuilding teams taking a chance on a player with high upside.

IMO the Brewers probably tried to do something with Brown, but got no takers. He was badly overmatched at AAA last year (5.79 ERA - many more hits than IPs - 1.73 WHIP - almost 5 BBs per 9). I don't see any team thinking he would be Rule 5 material. I believe the Brewers left him unprotected because they feel he isn't going anywhere so why waste a spot for him.

He obviously didn’t have a stellar campaign, but when put into the context of the overall PCL run environment last season he really wasn’t nearly as bad as we would traditionally think of those numbers.

There were 98 pitchers in the PCL that made 10+ starts last year (Zach Brown made 23 starts which was 8th most in the PCL last year), and the average age of those starters was just over 26 years old (average age of all PCL pitchers was 26.7). Brown was 24 years old last season, so still a couple of years below the average age.

Below is Zack Brown’s stat line compared to the league average pitching results in the PCL for 2019.

League Average (PCL):
5.49 ERA
1.523 WHIP
9.8 H9
1.5 HR9
3.9 BB9
8.9 SO9

Zack Brown:
5.79 ERA
1.731 WHIP
10.6 H9
1.2 HR9
4.9 BB9
7.6 SO9

So again, he was not good last year, but considering his previous track record as well as the fact he was in a horrendous run environment last year, I will be a little surprised if nobody takes a chance on him in the Rule 5 draft.

I can't see how a team would waste a spot on the 26 man roster for the entire year especially if the pitcher limit is 13. Maybe if the expanded roster goes to 14 pitchers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 4:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
wntrtxn21 said:
I can't see how a team would waste a spot on the 26 man roster for the entire year especially if the pitcher limit is 13. Maybe if the expanded roster goes to 14 pitchers.

We’re less than three years removed from the Padres taking three players in their early 20’s that had no business being anywhere near a major league roster (Link) and keeping them for an entire year on their 25-man roster. I don’t think it’s far fetched that a rebuilding team in the business of talent acquisition could/would carry a 24 year old that’s already spent an entire season one step from the majors. He could be used as a long reliever in low leverage situations and would have little impact other than eating some meaningless innings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2019, 8:29 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:

Look at the Orioles' pitching staff last year. He can't be worse than half of those guys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2019, 11:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
Isn't this a very common occurrence to "hide" a pitcher in the BP for the year (and that was with 25-man rosters); especially on the worse teams?

I know the Brewers have done it several times.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2019, 9:39 PM Post
It's unusual for a team to "hide" a pitcher like the Brewers did with Wei-Chung Wang, who was a Rookie-ball pitcher with no business being on a MLB roster.

Brown has pitched an entire season at AAA, he may end up having a mediocre season but I don't think the acquiring team will have to hide him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 1:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
SRB said:
It's unusual for a team to "hide" a pitcher like the Brewers did with Wei-Chung Wang, who was a Rookie-ball pitcher with no business being on a MLB roster.

Brown has pitched an entire season at AAA, he may end up having a mediocre season but I don't think the acquiring team will have to hide him.

To me, this is why I think someone will nab Brown.

He's not an A ball pitcher. He's a 26 year old at AAA. Yes, he sucked last year. But before that, he was an interesting arm. Sure you'd like to give him more time at AAA, but coming into 2019, most people didn't see him that far off of being in the majors.

Thus a bad team can take him, tell him he's a reliever and to prepare as such, and give him a bullpen gig in the majors. He was that far off from such a gig a year ago. Work with him, maybe iron out any issues you find (if any), and if he does okay, you're gold. You got an arm for the next half-decade. If not, no big deal. Your team isn't winning anyways. Just return him to Milwaukee. No harm, no foul.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 9:24 AM Post
With all the room on the roster now, I kinda think the Brewers may just be active in this year's Rule 5.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:25 AM Post
I tend to agree, maybe not keeping the player but at least taking a look.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 2:06 PM Post
Outlander said:

Yep, the one that has my interest is 3B Christian Santana, http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?pl ... g/2019/ALL
I like the upside.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 3:31 PM Post
Jaylyn said:
Outlander said:

Yep, the one that has my interest is 3B Christian Santana, http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?pl ... g/2019/ALL
I like the upside.

Wow. I thought Oscar Gonzalez (https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... nzal003osc) has a rough time taking walks...

BTW - Oscar is also R5 eligible. A rebuilding team like Detroit might have interest in Oscar but I doubt most teams would take the chance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 6:12 PM Post
How about 1B Roberto Ramos (Colorado)? He's done nothing but hit throughout the minor leagues, including last season when he hit .309/.400/.580/.980 with 30 HR and a .406 wOBA at AAA. Prospect evaluators thinks he is a Quad-A player, but heck, we have a black hole at 1B and maybe he's the next Russell Branyan (or, perhaps more aptly, Khris Davis)?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 03, 2019, 10:57 PM Post
MadThinker88 said:
Jaylyn said:
Outlander said:

I like the upside.

Wow. I thought Oscar Gonzalez (https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... nzal003osc) has a rough time taking walks...

BTW - Oscar is also R5 eligible. A rebuilding team like Detroit might have interest in Oscar but I doubt most teams would take the chance.

[laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] Let's say they both need a little more plate discipline! And Ramos, sure why not! When when a 1B is signed, gonna need a backup, since I believe my thought of having Braun play first in a soft platoon is more than likely not going to happen!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2019, 3:34 PM Post
Sterling Sharp (RHP in the Nats system) would be fun, if only for the name.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2019, 11:02 PM Post
Any fallen “think big” players like when the Reds took Josh Hamilton? Brady Aiken or other 1st rounders?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2019, 11:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
Former Brewers beat writer Robert Murray highlighted an intriguing player that Seattle left unprotected...

A name to watch in Thursday’s Rule 5 Draft: Mariners’ Eric Filia. Filia, 27, is a former top prospect who has posted more walks than strikeouts in each of his four minor-league seasons.

Filla’s career numbers in the minor leagues include a .412 OBP and .843 OPS.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2019, 11:46 PM Post
Eye Black said:
Former Brewers beat writer Robert Murray highlighted an intriguing player that Seattle left unprotected...

A name to watch in Thursday’s Rule 5 Draft: Mariners’ Eric Filia. Filia, 27, is a former top prospect who has posted more walks than strikeouts in each of his four minor-league seasons.

Filla’s career numbers in the minor leagues include a .412 OBP and .843 OPS.

Would be worth a shot if he can lay of the weed! smh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2019, 7:49 AM Post
I'm going to guess the Brewers make a pick with a position player and if I had to say one guy it would be Ka'ai Tom of the Indians. Kind of reminds me of Trent Grisham, a left handed hitter that can play all three OF positions, had a power surge in 2019 that started in AA and continued in AAA and can get on base.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 11, 2019, 7:52 AM Post
Global Moderator
Jaylyn said:
Would be worth a shot if he can lay of the weed! smh

Well starting next year marijuana is no longer being tested for in the minor leagues, and it has never been part of the MLB testing program so that shouldn’t be much of a concern moving forward in terms of a possible suspension.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 122 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test