LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

[ 4 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Question about International Prospects

Offline  Question about International Prospects

Posted: September 13, 2019, 11:10 AM Post
I saw on Brew Crew Ball that the Brewers are tied to the top prospect out of Venezuela:

Read here

He is only 15 years old and...
He is expected to get somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5 and $2 million to sign

My son just turned 16 at the end of August. He is a good player and there are many other players that are better than he is. I haven't heard of the Brewers signing any of those boys (or my son... [wink] ) for any money.

What is the difference between signing the non-domestic 15-year-olds and why kids in the US can't be signed that early? Also, what responsibility does the non-domestic boy have to the team if he gets a 1.5MM signing bonus?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Question about International Prospects

Posted: September 13, 2019, 12:19 PM Post
Simple answer international players are not eligible for the MLB draft, except for players from Canada and Puerto Rico.

This is actually the reason why Cuban players don't defect to Puerto Rico as they would then be subject to the MLB draft. Though I believe there maybe an age limit to the draft?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 16, 2019, 8:49 AM Post
Your point about your son is pretty much why the international market is so stupid. Why should your residence make any difference? If you're a US citizen with a hot shot baseball player 14 year old son why couldn't you just move the family to another country to get citizenship and then get him signed for millions of dollars as an international free agent. Better question, why hasn't someone done that yet. I'm sure there are plenty of agents that would help with that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 16, 2019, 10:32 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Your point about your son is pretty much why the international market is so stupid. Why should your residence make any difference? If you're a US citizen with a hot shot baseball player 14 year old son why couldn't you just move the family to another country to get citizenship and then get him signed for millions of dollars as an international free agent. Better question, why hasn't someone done that yet. I'm sure there are plenty of agents that would help with that.

It has happened already...
I present to you George Valera. The linked story presents some of the facts (where born & where he/ his family moved to)..

https://www.letsgotribe.com/2019/7/8/20 ... -bat-flips

Quote   Reply 
 [ 4 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test