LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Developing Players without the need for minor leagues

Online  Re: Developing Players without the need for minor leagues

Posted: November 18, 2019, 12:34 PM Post
Man Quad Cities gets a decent chunk of people to the games and have a nice stadium/location.

What a shame for some of these cities and owners if it goes through.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Developing Players without the need for minor leagues

Posted: November 18, 2019, 6:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
Beloit's stadium is an absolute dump-ola. They've been talking for years about moving the Snappers to a different park or up here to Janesville or something (literally anything) and I too am surprised that they weren't one of the cities that are being considered for elimination. Even though Janesville and Rockford should, in theory, provide an attendance boost for the Snappers, Beloit averages about 1200 a game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2019, 8:07 PM Post
I'd much rather expand the minors.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2019, 9:30 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
Beloit's stadium is an absolute dump-ola. They've been talking for years about moving the Snappers to a different park or up here to Janesville or something (literally anything) and I too am surprised that they weren't one of the cities that are being considered for elimination. Even though Janesville and Rockford should, in theory, provide an attendance boost for the Snappers, Beloit averages about 1200 a game.

I'm guessing by keeping them they're assuming some "free" government money for a new stadium. Or the under the table deals are already in place and they just need the minor league overhaul to actually happen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2019, 9:39 PM Post
If they're really concerned about proximity (:rolleyes) they should focus more on realignment, shifting teams to different leagues/levels, and splitting existing leagues into smaller units. Merge all short season leagues (A and Rookie) into one 30-team level just like AAA, AA, H-A and L-A so that each Major League team has one affiliate at five levels. That would still require contracting ten teams (or twelve, if they're hell-bent on getting St. Paul and Sugar Land into affiliated ball), but that would be a lot less bloodshed. And honestly, there are some teams that probably need to go away (Batavia's been hanging on by a thread for years, and the Florida Firefrogs don't even have a home city right now), but 42 is too many. It would also give teams with "difficult" stadium situations time to fix those issues. If they don't, then MLB can cut the next thirty a few years down the road.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2019, 11:01 PM Post
IF (& I mean IF) the majors is looking to expand by 2, there could be as many more 8 spots needed for full season minor league teams (2 each at AAA, AA, High-A & A).

That might save some spots (even if there is a shuffling of teams moving up levels)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2019, 5:52 AM Post
MadThinker88 said:
IF (& I mean IF) the majors is looking to expand by 2, there could be as many more 8 spots needed for full season minor league teams (2 each at AAA, AA, High-A & A).

That might save some spots (even if there is a shuffling of teams moving up levels)

Really good point. Right now, it's really hard to pinpoint enough cities to handle minor league expansion, even with some prominent cities that have lost or are about to lose teams -- Pawtucket, New Orleans, Mobile -- available to fill some spots. I've tried to play around with this in the past (after coming across a post about it on Reddit), and it's not easy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 07, 2019, 10:02 AM Post
I'm a huge fan of small town ball so yeah I'm quite unhappy with the new minor league proposal. Unfortunately the more our society moves towards people staring at screens all the time instead of going out into the real world and actually doing stuff, the more baseball is going to concentrate to the top. In other words people in small towns are now more likely to stay at home and watch major league baseball on their big screen tv than go down to their local ball park and watch the real deal. It kind of sucks seeing all the money raked in by MLB these days, meanwhile the kids in the MiLB are basically working below the poverty level. Thats why I love small town ball, kids play with more heart, and it doesn't cost a fortune to take your family to a game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 12, 2019, 12:14 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Man Quad Cities gets a decent chunk of people to the games and have a nice stadium/location.

What a shame for some of these cities and owners if it goes through.

It is a beautiful stadium. Thankfully we're now hearing that Q-C is not on the contraction list. Clinton and Burlington are, however.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test