LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 112 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings

Offline  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings
Posted: March 06, 2020, 10:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
If you make a top 30 list for a weak system like the Brewers, you're going to get to names that are marginal. How many guys are rated as 40 overall on the Brewers' top 30 at MLB? Those are guys who are not expected to make an impact at the major league level on their current trajectory, or guys whose error bars are so huge that nobody is really sure what to expect. Sure, some of them will rise above that expectation and have a bit of a career. A very small number of 40s across the league will prove the scouts wrong and make an All Star team or something. I'll root for all of these guys, of course, and have my favorites, but who is 24 vs 30 vs unranked is really not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 11:27 AM Post
I was looking for something else on the MLB website & located the following regarding the farm systems & found the results interesting:

Youth movements
The average age of the players on each team's Top 30 list could be an indicator of which farm systems will be next to ascend into the Top 10. Here's a list of the teams with the youngest average age on their Top 30 lists, which suggests that both New York teams, as well as the Padres, could have very good systems for a very long time, the Pirates, Rangers and Indians could rise to the top of the Top 10 list and that we should all keep an eye on the Red Sox and Blue Jays.

1) Angels, 6/15/1999
2) Yankees, 12/29/1998
3) Rangers, 12/23/1998
4) Mets, 10/24/1998
5) Pirates, 8/14/1998
6) Padres, 8/7/1998
7) Brewers, 8/7/1998
8) Indians, 8/2/1998
9) Red Sox, 7/25/1998
10) Blue Jays, 6/23/1998

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-top-3 ... -breakdown

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 14, 2020, 5:05 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
ProspectDigest.com

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 15, 2020, 6:56 PM Post
I've been getting the Prospect Digest Handbook for the past few years.
I really like the work done by Joseph Werner & I would recommend the book to anyone interested. The book typically goes top 15 or 20 per organization. The website give the top 10 names & reports per organization for free.

That said, the book also provides a ranking of the farm systems. He sees the NL Central like this:
Pitts: 5
St. Louis: 14
Cinci: 18
ChiCubs: 28
Milwaukee: 29

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2020, 9:58 AM Post
Fangraphs has continued to post it various prospect listing for each organization. Milwaukee has not had its list published yet but Cleveland had its list posted today.

Normally there is not a tie in for the Brewers but that changed this time around since the Indians & Brewers made a deal in Nov 2019.
Mark Mathias was acquired by MKE. Andres Melendez was sent to CLE & Andres made the Tribe list - at #38 (Future Value grade 40 on 20-80 scale).
It might be interesting to see where Andres would have slotted for MKE (once Fangraphs release its MKE list)..

Here is the free report on Andres:

38. Andres Melendez, C
Signed: July 2nd Period, 2017 from Venezuela (MIL)
Age 19.0 Height 5′ 10″ Weight 170 Bat / Thr R / R FV 40

Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
25/50 45/50 20/35 45/40 45/55 55/55

Melendez was acquired during the offseason from Milwaukee for second baseman Mark Mathias. He is a very twitchy, athletic catcher with great defensive mobility. He also has advanced feel for contact and his relatively mature strength lets him hit for gap power. He’s not very projectable so it’s unlikely much power will be part of his profile at peak, but Melendez has a pretty realistic backup catcher outcome, and he has a puncher’s chance to be a low-end regular if he makes a ton of contact, which appears to be in play.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings
Posted: May 19, 2020, 6:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
MadThinker88 said:
Fangraphs has continued to post it various prospect listing for each organization. Milwaukee has not had its list published yet but Cleveland had its list posted today.

Normally there is not a tie in for the Brewers but that changed this time around since the Indians & Brewers made a deal in Nov 2019.
Mark Mathias was acquired by MKE. Andres Melendez was sent to CLE & Andres made the Tribe list - at #38 (Future Value grade 40 on 20-80 scale).
It might be interesting to see where Andres would have slotted for MKE (once Fangraphs release its MKE list)...

I would guess FG will have Feliciano at 45 with Nottingham & Henry as 40s when they publish their Brewers list.

I'd probably rank Melendez behind Jacob & Payton just based on proximity.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 11:34 AM Post
sveumrules said:
I would guess FG will have Feliciano at 45 with Nottingham & Henry as 40s when they publish their Brewers list.

We wont know where an outsider would ranking inside a particular FV range, but we will see who is also in the that range (along with those in ranges above & below)..

I will be curious if/ where Mark Mathias appears on the MKE list..
TBH I was pleasantly surprised to see Andres on the CLE listing as he had not appeared on any other CLE listing this off-season...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 2:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
MadThinker88 said:
sveumrules said:

We wont know where an outsider would ranking inside a particular FV range, but we will see who is also in the that range (along with those in ranges above & below)..

I will be curious if/ where Mark Mathias appears on the MKE list..
TBH I was pleasantly surprised to see Andres on the CLE listing as he had not appeared on any other CLE listing this off-season...

Mathias didn't make FG's Cleveland list prior to 2019 & I don't think he really did anything to change his perceived value during the course of the season so I wouldn't expect to see him on the Brewers list when it is eventually released.

FG had a pretty good breakdown of the trade when it went down that gives some possible insight for each team's motivations...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/on-40-man-d ... who-moved/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2020, 5:40 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
FanTraxHQ: Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Top-25 Prospects

It's a pretty representative list, with emphasis on the super-young international signees.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2020, 12:48 PM Post
Finally got my copy of the BA Prospect Handbook this weekend.
Something BA started last year & continued with this Handbook was a ranking of the top players by position. I went thru this thread and didn't see any reference to it so I have decided to highlight items here.

C: Top 10 players listed; No Brewers on the list; No players on list from division rival
1B: Top 10 players listed; No Brewers on the list; 1 Pirates prospect (#10)
2B: Top 10 players listed; No Brewers on the list; 1 Cubs prospect (#8)
3B: Top 10 players listed; No Brewers on the list; 3 divisional prospects listed (Cards #2, Pirates #4, Reds #6)
SS: Top 20 players listed; B Turang is #17, no other Brewers the list; 2 divisional prospects listed (Cubs #9, Pirates #10)

CF: Top 20 players listed; No Brewers on the list; 1 Cards prospect (#19)
Corner OF: Top 10 players listed; No Brewers on the list; 1 Cards prospect (#3)

RHP: Top 40 players listed; No Brewers on the list; 3 divisional prospects listed (Pirates #12, Reds #20, Cards #32)
LHP: Top 15 players listed; No Brewers on the list; 2 divisional prospects listed (Cubs #8, Reds #12)

Its a sobering viewpoint from an outside prospective, especially compared to other teams in the division. This not only has an impact for the Brewer future but also determining trade assets if the Brewers need to add a piece (or 3) as it contends for a post-season berth..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 25, 2020, 2:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
While I'd love to have a bunch of top rated prospects all throughout the minor leagues, these things tend to run in cycles, especially for small market teams who might not be able to match the resources of some of richer teams.

Before 2016 John Sickels had the Crew with the 5th best farm system in all of MLB. Our top four prospects on the list were Orlando Arcia, Jorge Lopez, Brett Phillips & Jacob Nottingham before you got to Hader in 5th. (Zach Davies & Adrian Houser were #14/#15).

Before 2017 Sickels had the Crew with the 7th best farm system, still pretty good. Hader was #2 this time, with Brinson (#1), Corey Ray (#3), Isan Diaz (#4), Mauricio Dubon (#5) & Luis Ortiz (#6) all ahead of Brandon Woodruff (#7) & Freddy Peralta (C+ grade, not ranked).

Over the last three years the Brewers have won 271 games (8th in MLB, more than model small markets Oakland/Tampa Bay, more than the hated Cardinals, more than the perpetually prospect laden Braves). Stearns & company have held on to all the right guys so far while pretty much everyone they have traded away has underwhelmed. I'll take that track record of success over BA's or any other public prospectors.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 28, 2020, 5:08 PM Post
sveumrules said:
While I'd love to have a bunch of top rated prospects all throughout the minor leagues, these things tend to run in cycles, especially for small market teams who might not be able to match the resources of some of richer teams.

Before 2016 John Sickels had the Crew with the 5th best farm system in all of MLB. Our top four prospects on the list were Orlando Arcia, Jorge Lopez, Brett Phillips & Jacob Nottingham before you got to Hader in 5th. (Zach Davies & Adrian Houser were #14/#15).

Before 2017 Sickels had the Crew with the 7th best farm system, still pretty good. Hader was #2 this time, with Brinson (#1), Corey Ray (#3), Isan Diaz (#4), Mauricio Dubon (#5) & Luis Ortiz (#6) all ahead of Brandon Woodruff (#7) & Freddy Peralta (C+ grade, not ranked).

Over the last three years the Brewers have won 271 games (8th in MLB, more than model small markets Oakland/Tampa Bay, more than the hated Cardinals, more than the perpetually prospect laden Braves). Stearns & company have held on to all the right guys so far while pretty much everyone they have traded away has underwhelmed. I'll take that track record of success over BA's or any other public prospectors.

For the 2016 list, Arcia was a starter for most of 2017, 2018, and 2019 - glove-first, with some hot streaks at the plate. Lopez and Phillips turned into Moustakas, who did very well in 2018 and 2019 for the Crew. Nottingham may or may not make it.

For 2017, Brinson and Diaz turned into Yelich. Dubon turned into Black and Pomranze - and the latter helped stabilize the Crew's pen in 2019. Ray's still got a good shot. Ortiz helped get Schoop - whose grand slam won a key game in the Brewers' playoff push in 2018.

Let me look at the numbers, and make a judgement as to who will do well. You'll find some good players along the way.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 112 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test