LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 77 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings

Offline  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings

Posted: January 31, 2020, 8:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
Manty Brewer Fan said:
Just sharing that Hedbert Perez ranked VERY high on the BA top 100 intl signings from last year. I've been waiting for this ranking as i suspected based on fall writings he was a blow-up guy since July 2... Just thought I'd share. Probably the most excited I've been about one of J2 specs in the stearns era. I also think Jesus Parra will begin to fly up the ranks next year.

The Baseball America Prospect Handbook has 8 international signings from recent years ranked in the Brewers organizational top 30:

#8 - Eduardo Garcia, SS (Venezuela, 2018)
#11 - Hedbert Perez, OF (Venezuela, 2019)
#12 - Carlos Rodriguez, OF (Venezuela, 2017)
#14 - Luis Medina, OF (Venezuela, 2019)
#18 - Jesus Parra, 3B/2B (Venezuela, 2018)
#19 - Jeferson Quero, C (Venezuela, 2019)
#26 - Jheremy Vargas, SS (Venezuela, 2019)
#30 - Eduarqui Fernandez, OF (Dominican Republic, 2018)

I haven’t gone back and looked to confirm for certain, but I believe that is the most international signees that have appeared in the Brewers BA top 30 in recent years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 31, 2020, 10:51 PM Post
YoungGeezy1 said:
What do we all know about Hedbert Perez? We all were able to read a bunch on Medina but all of a sudden Perez’s name is popping up a lot more. Hard to find much on him. Know dad played in MLB and runs a baseball academy in which Hedbert played for. Outside of that, don’t know much about him

Nothing. Frankly I don't know what's going on that's driving the hype train. No one really talked about him when MKE signed him but 1 place. Now multiple places are acting like they spent more than Medina money on him. I stated earlier, something changed with MKE's dedication to DSL/J2 3 years ago. The last 3 years they have been pulling value there.

Above 8 guys who were J2 in the last 3 years are top 30 prospects. Those guys usually don't hit the majors until 22-23 and only a few have cracked age 20. Good things are on the way and if they can even bolster the farm it'll be more help than we've gotten from the international market for quite some time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 31, 2020, 11:54 PM Post
While the initial results obviously aren't completely indicative of future success, I think last year was the first year that the Brewers' DSL team was even league average for hitting and that was with a team that was mostly rookies.

Hopefully the improvements continue and the success of guys like Garcia, Parra and Cabrera carry over stateside this coming season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2020, 5:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
YoungGeezy1 said:
What do we all know about Hedbert Perez?

The scouting report from Baseball America is absolutely glowing. Hedbert Perez is rated as an overall future value BA grade of 55. The only other Brewers prospects that BA ranks as FV 55 are Brice Turang, Eduardo Garcia, and Drew Rasmussen. I’ll paraphrase his BA scouting report below:

- High contact hitter that has a compact, efficient swing. Barrels the ball to all fields.
- Disciplined hitter who has the ability to get on base at a high percentage.
- Has at least 55 raw power currently that should get to plus or better as he gets stronger.
- Excellent athlete with plus or better speed.
- Above average defender in CF (reads ball well off bat and takes good routes). Has a plus arm with good accuracy.
- Fluent English speaker that “draws praise for his confidence and leadership”.

As you mentioned his dad, Robert Perez, played six seasons with the majors including a few years with the Blue Jays and a brief stint with the Brewers. Some interesting facts about Robert Perez in his Wikipedia page including the fact he spent 27 seasons playing in the Venezuelan League and is considered a living legend because he broke many of the career hitting records in the league.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2020, 12:08 PM Post
Eye Black said:
YoungGeezy1 said:
What do we all know about Hedbert Perez?

The scouting report from Baseball America is absolutely glowing. Hedbert Perez is rated as an overall future value BA grade of 55. The only other Brewers prospects that BA ranks as FV 55 are Brice Turang, Eduardo Garcia, and Drew Rasmussen. I’ll paraphrase his BA scouting report below:

- High contact hitter that has a compact, efficient swing. Barrels the ball to all fields.
- Disciplined hitter who has the ability to get on base at a high percentage.
- Has at least 55 raw power currently that should get to plus or better as he gets stronger.
- Excellent athlete with plus or better speed.
- Above average defender in CF (reads ball well off bat and takes good routes). Has a plus arm with good accuracy.
- Fluent English speaker that “draws praise for his confidence and leadership”.

As you mentioned his dad, Robert Perez, played six seasons with the majors including a few years with the Blue Jays and a brief stint with the Brewers. Some interesting facts about Robert Perez in his Wikipedia page including the fact he spent 27 seasons playing in the Venezuelan League and is considered a living legend because he broke many of the career hitting records in the league.

Thank You! An amazing profile! Can’t believe how little hype he got around signing. Just keep the high end lottery tickets coming and eventually you hit on one big! Hopefully at least one blows up this year. A Garcia post injury revenge tour would be very nice. I’m real high on Parra

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2020, 10:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
The Brewers did bring Perez and Medina to Miller Park to hit before a game in mid-July. Below are very short Twitter videos from Ben Badler of both taking batting practice.

Hedbert Perez BP at Miller Park

Luis Medina BP at Miller Park

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 04, 2020, 2:10 PM Post
Not Brewer related but MLB put out their top 100. No Brewers of course. But interesting that they had all top 10 of the catchers in it. Feel like generally 2-3 in a season has been the norm but 10! Just wow. At the same time, I think they are over ranking a good majority of them. I feel like maybe 1 catcher prospect every 3 years graduates and lives up to their potential more than 2seasons. Otherwise the rest struggle to even get a major starting role. Stearns may have found a way to get ahead of the Catcher curve by getting Narvaez Because with a catcher like Pina I really didnt see the team losing ground to the other 30teams with what he brings. In fact I think Pina brings a positive in to top 15 teams in baseball with his defense and effect he has on pitchers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 04, 2020, 10:38 PM Post
Eye Black said:
The Brewers did bring Perez and Medina to Miller Park to hit before a game in mid-July. Below are very short Twitter videos from Ben Badler of both taking batting practice.

Not that I know what I'm looking at but I like Hedbert's swing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2020, 9:25 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
Eye Black said:

Josh Murray looked good in batting practice.

He's best known for being Andi Dorfman's ex after that season of the Bachelorette.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2020, 2:39 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
Eye Black said:

At that current swing for these two I'd comment this. Hedbert has some great bat speed. The swing is a little loopy so a lot of pulls and flyballs is what I seen off of that.
Medina's a lot more square to the ball and through the zone. Bat speed wasn't on level with Hedbert's, but the contact in the swing would be much better than Hedbert's. 3TO in Hedbert. Medina is sound at the moment. Bat speed may leave him late on elite fastballs?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2020, 9:36 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
2020 Carolina Mudcats Prospect Preview

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 10:02 AM Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that is interested to go follow the new Instagram account I started called brewersfarm. I will be posting about Brewers top prospects and minor league transactions, stats, highlights, and awards. I will also be counting down my personal top 100 Brewers prospects starting on Feb. 21 and I will add three new prospects each day until MLB Opening Day on March 26. I appreciate anyone and everyone’s support in this new adventure of a Brewers Minor League fan community! (PS I already have 8 Brewers Minor League players following the account!)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2020, 8:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
FanGraphs came out with their 2020 Top 100 Prospects.

Despite the title they actually listed 120 total prospects. Only one representative for the Brewers, Brice Turang came in at #104 and was marked as an FV 50.

It also included the following write-up on Turang:

See: Gimenez, Andres [Note: Gimenez was the #103 prospect, so the prospect write-up just above Turang]

Turang has two profile-carrying attributes in his ball/strike recognition and defense, while the rest of the profile struggles because he doesn’t square balls up very well. He has a chance to be a plus defender who reaches base a lot, which is basically what J.P. Crawford’s skill base was, even when he was struggling. It’s possible that upper-level pitching challenges Turang with impunity and his walk rates tank, at which point I’ll move off him. If his frame, which is broad-shouldered and quite projectable, fills out and suddenly there’s relevant pop, he’s an everday player.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2020, 11:15 PM Post
ARobsBrewCrew said:
Just wanted to let everyone know that is interested to go follow the new Instagram account I started called brewersfarm. I will be posting about Brewers top prospects and minor league transactions, stats, highlights, and awards. I will also be counting down my personal top 100 Brewers prospects starting on Feb. 21 and I will add three new prospects each day until MLB Opening Day on March 26. I appreciate anyone and everyone’s support in this new adventure of a Brewers Minor League fan community! (PS I already have 8 Brewers Minor League players following the account!)

Will be interesting to see how you do it. I tried to do 100 after you posted this, and I'd put the over/under on guys on it who end up getting cut before the season starts at three or four. Once I got past about 75 it became a lot of fringy rookie ball hitters, relievers who were reasonably successful but old for their level and other pitchers who have missed the last season or two with injury. Granted, I only put on five of the most recent crop of July 2 guys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2020, 8:21 AM Post
I’ve seen some positive references to Jesus Parra, the 3b, 2b. He’s not a guy I’ve focused on. Does anybody have a scouting report or rundown on him?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings

Posted: February 17, 2020, 10:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
Alec Bettinger the only Brewers prospect to crack the projection based ZIPS top 100, likely on the basis of his strong K/BB ratio at AA...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/zips-top-100-prospects/

Should be interesting to see how he fares in AAA this season, especially if the balls are still as juicy as last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2020, 1:16 PM Post
So, with 8 international signings showing up in our BA Top 30 prospect list - it has me wondering: is this a sign that we are doing a much better job in the international market now? Or, is this just more of a sign that we haven't drafted as well in the June Amateur draft in recent years? Or, is it combination of both? I've wanted us to get more active in the international market for years now, so I'm excited to see us getting more top guys down there. But, I also realize that there is probably even a higher miss % on these guys since teams are signing them so early in their development. And, that's saying something - because the miss % is high enough as it is with the June draft.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Top 30 Future Brewers 2020

Posted: February 17, 2020, 1:40 PM Post

Podcast Discussion

https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/e/brew-crew-review-podcast-101-our-top-30-brewer-prospect-rankings/

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2020, 3:42 PM Post
madtownhawk said:
So, with 8 international signings showing up in our BA Top 30 prospect list - it has me wondering: is this a sign that we are doing a much better job in the international market now? Or, is this just more of a sign that we haven't drafted as well in the June Amateur draft in recent years? Or, is it combination of both? I've wanted us to get more active in the international market for years now, so I'm excited to see us getting more top guys down there. But, I also realize that there is probably even a higher miss % on these guys since teams are signing them so early in their development. And, that's saying something - because the miss % is high enough as it is with the June draft.

I think it has a lot to do with the new cap on International spending. Certain big market teams can't buy them all and restock their farm they traded away with draft picks they can buy.

Also, I don't know what happened but I hope you got on the Hedbert train cuz that puppy is well out of the station.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Top 30 Future Brewers 2020

Posted: February 18, 2020, 9:08 AM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:

Just curious, is this your personal list or does Brew Crew Review have a panel that makes up the list? Hedbert Perez appears to be a popular prospect, looking forward to seeing what he actually does at the professional level. Also, Ray Black certainly isn't rookie eligible.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 77 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test