LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings

Offline  Re: Misc. Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings

Posted: February 18, 2020, 1:28 PM Post
I have to question whether Wahl is still eligible, too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2020, 1:56 PM Post
As far as baseball reference is concerned, both Black and Wahl’s rookie status is intact for the 2020 season maintaining prospect status. That is good enough for me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2020, 2:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
ARobsBrewCrew said:
As far as baseball reference is concerned, both Black and Wahl’s rookie status is intact for the 2020 season maintaining prospect status. That is good enough for me.

BRef lists Black as exceeding rookie limits in 2019 & Wahl as still rookie eligible from what I am seeing...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ra01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... bo01.shtml

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2020, 5:48 PM Post
Huh, when they updated rookie status earlier this year on the site they still had Black as intact. For this reason, I had Black in my top 100 Brewers prospects heading into the season. I guess I will be changing my list up now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2020, 6:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
ARobsBrewCrew said:
Huh, when they updated rookie status earlier this year on the site they still had Black as intact. For this reason, I had Black in my top 100 Brewers prospects heading into the season. I guess I will be changing my list up now.

Guessing they maybe missed him at first because he's still under on the IP limit, but appears to be over the days on active roster limit.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Top 30 Future Brewers 2020

Posted: February 19, 2020, 2:17 AM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:

Two biggest surprises for me on this list are McClahanan being on it and, given the number of older relief prospects listed, Feyereisen being left off.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2020, 2:38 AM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:
Two biggest surprises for me on this list are McClahanan being on it and, given the number of older relief prospects listed, Feyereisen being left off.

I always wonder about him though. We've seen some dudes spring board from what seems like nowhere. Grisham and Harrison hit 21-22 and boom away they went.

He's that athlete at 22 where OBP outshines everything else. I don't see it happening but if you told you had a crystal ball and he blew up from A to AA this year and made himself a prospect again, well let's say it wouldn't be the most surprising possibility. HS kid in the draft paid Erceg money not your typical 11th round pick, he was expected to go to college. It's possible but it also feels like he's in that now or never year.

As for the RPs. I just don't like seeing RPs on top 30 lists. Rasmussen sure he could dominate, but if you've lost your starter upside before you hit the majors I'm not too fond of your system value. List me off 8 teenage DSL lottery tickets. I'm fine with that they have upside that can't be replaced by Phelps or Claudio. If I can buy your equivalent for under 2mil a year. What 3-4 mil value. Blah...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2020, 9:32 AM Post
TJseven7 said:
CheeseheadInQC said:

I always wonder about him though. We've seen some dudes spring board from what seems like nowhere. Grisham and Harrison hit 21-22 and boom away they went.

He's that athlete at 22 where OBP outshines everything else. I don't see it happening but if you told you had a crystal ball and he blew up from A to AA this year and made himself a prospect again, well let's say it wouldn't be the most surprising possibility. HS kid in the draft paid Erceg money not your typical 11th round pick, he was expected to go to college. It's possible but it also feels like he's in that now or never year.

As for the RPs. I just don't like seeing RPs on top 30 lists. Rasmussen sure he could dominate, but if you've lost your starter upside before you hit the majors I'm not too fond of your system value. List me off 8 teenage DSL lottery tickets. I'm fine with that they have upside that can't be replaced by Phelps or Claudio. If I can buy your equivalent for under 2mil a year. What 3-4 mil value. Blah...

For me, the surprise was the omission of Cooper Hummel.

The guy was third in wRC+ last year - the two guys ahead of him were named Hiura and Grisham. Mostly in the outfield, but apparently did work in the infield and played a passable catcher. Yes, a lot of the international signings are exciting, but Hummel's just quietly emerged as a real prospect.

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2019/11/25 ... -interview

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2020, 2:29 PM Post
Global Moderator
clancyphile said:

The guy was third in wRC+ last year - the two guys ahead of him were named Hiura and Grisham. Mostly in the outfield, but apparently did work in the infield and played a passable catcher. Yes, a lot of the international signings are exciting, but Hummel's just quietly emerged as a real prospect.

Hummel's results definitely deserve a closer look.

I'd imagine the reason he doesn't get much consideration from prospectors is because he is essentially LF only at the MLB level & if that is your defensive profile you need to be mashing, with a good scouting profile & young for your league to really get noticed.

Cooper has mashed, but has never had overwhelming tools & he's been right around league average age at every stop so he's going to be one of those guys like Jesus Aguilar or Garrett Cooper that has to keep proving it every step of the way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2020, 3:44 PM Post
For anyone interested in following along closely with Brewers prospect rankings, transactions, stats, and awards give BrewersFarm a follow on instagram. There will be posts regarding Brewers prospects past and present, such as the recent Taylor Jungmann signing, from the DSL all the way up to Milwaukee. We already have 15+ Brewers prospects themselves following the account as I have reached out and spoke with a number of individuals including Payton Henry, Andre Nnebe, and former farmhand Dillon Thomas. Each and every follow is greatly appreciated and the Top 100 Brewers Prospects countdown begins on Friday!!!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2020, 11:02 PM Post
sveumrules said:
clancyphile said:

Hummel's results definitely deserve a closer look.

I'd imagine the reason he doesn't get much consideration from prospectors is because he is essentially LF only at the MLB level & if that is your defensive profile you need to be mashing, with a good scouting profile & young for your league to really get noticed.

Cooper has mashed, but has never had overwhelming tools & he's been right around league average age at every stop so he's going to be one of those guys like Jesus Aguilar or Garrett Cooper that has to keep proving it every step of the way.

Cooper also has played some right field, per Baseball-Reference (https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... mmel000coo). What is interesting is that he's played right field about 25% as often as he played left field, but he's racked up 55.5% of the assists.

He also started and played one game at third. I think he may be more versatile - and may also be able to handle first base. He's not played much catcher in the last two seasons, but I see a Mickey Tettleton type of player. Lots of walks, power, but Hummel seems to also have a very good baseball mind. 2019 was a semi-Grisham moment for him... but I think he could really make things interesting in 2020.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2020, 11:46 PM Post
TJseven7 said:

I wasn't so much advocating for Feyereisen as saying I thought he'd fit well on the list given the number of relief arms on it (although I guess Perdomo isn't on it either).

On McClanahan, I don't necessarily disagree with you. There were just other guys who also have upside who have been pushed more than McClanahan has on that Wisconsin roster who aren't on this list, like Abreu and Ward. If there is a breakout from the disappointments on that team, I think they are more likely.

On the Hummel debate, he's shown up in a few lists lately, and he was legitimately one of the best hitters in the Southern League last year. The issue is, he is likely stuck as a corner outfielder, and is probably just about maximizing his skill set. To have much value he is probably going to have to keep at least 90% of his AA production on the Major League level, and that is easier said than done.

I will say, there are some guys you champion who I don't understand the affinity Clancy, but Hummel isn't one of them. Even if I'm still a bit skeptical, the power surge last year gives him a shot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 20, 2020, 2:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
clancyphile said:
Cooper also has played some right field, per Baseball-Reference (https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... mmel000coo). What is interesting is that he's played right field about 25% as often as he played left field, but he's racked up 55.5% of the assists.

He also started and played one game at third. I think he may be more versatile - and may also be able to handle first base. He's not played much catcher in the last two seasons, but I see a Mickey Tettleton type of player. Lots of walks, power, but Hummel seems to also have a very good baseball mind. 2019 was a semi-Grisham moment for him... but I think he could really make things interesting in 2020.

2019: 611 innings in LF, 27 innings in RF at AA.
2018: 228 innings in LF, 197 innings in RF, 64 innings at C in A+.
2017: 385 innings at C in A+.
2016: 227 innings at C, 9 innings at 3B in RK.

You are right he did start one game at 3B, in rookie ball four years ago. If he ever sees 3B at the MLB level many things likely will have gone terribly wrong.

If the Brewers believed he was potentially viable in RF at the MLB level they probably would have given him more than 27 innings there in AA last year. Looks to me like after 2018 they decided he was essentially LF only.

I do agree that he may be able to handle 1B, but at a listed 5'10" & with no professional experience there I wouldn't expect much.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 20, 2020, 2:28 AM Post
Not quite sure where to put this, but the minor league spring training roster was tweeted out. I'll caution I might have missed someone.

Last year's DSL players in camp:
Eduardo Garcia, Eduarqui Fernandez, Jesus Parra, Jhonnys Cabrera, Alejandro Marte, Carlos Roa

This year's July 2 signings brought over:
Hedbert Perez, Luis Medina, Jeferson Quero, Jose Caballero, Jamal Zalm

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 20, 2020, 3:59 PM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:

On McClanahan, I don't necessarily disagree with you. There were just other guys who also have upside who have been pushed more than McClanahan has on that Wisconsin roster who aren't on this list, like Abreu and Ward. If there is a breakout from the disappointments on that team, I think they are more likely.

I'm not going to bat for McClanahan. It just wouldn't be stunning if this was his year. It also won't be stunning if this isn't his year and if it isn't he's on that lost cause list. Ward is certainly a very interesting guy. He's got 2 years in my opinion to put something together though. That what I believe gets overlooked in this system. There are a lot of guys who have no reason to be rated on anyone's top 30 list, who 1 year later could fly up everyone's top 30 list.

Lots of athletes. Lots of true lottery tickets.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 20, 2020, 6:48 PM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:

I just can't take this list seriously with Erceg at #24.

Players I would put ahead of Erceg are Feyereisen, Taylor, Ward, Bello, Medina, File, Dillard, Bennett, Cipion, Eduarqui Fernandez, Ernesto Martinez, Coca, Pablo Abreu, Zhao, Larry Ernesto and Segovia.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 22, 2020, 2:55 AM Post
madtownhawk said:
So, with 8 international signings showing up in our BA Top 30 prospect list - it has me wondering: is this a sign that we are doing a much better job in the international market now? Or, is this just more of a sign that we haven't drafted as well in the June Amateur draft in recent years? Or, is it combination of both? I've wanted us to get more active in the international market for years now, so I'm excited to see us getting more top guys down there. But, I also realize that there is probably even a higher miss % on these guys since teams are signing them so early in their development. And, that's saying something - because the miss % is high enough as it is with the June draft.

Here's my guess a little on the situation. 1st/2nd picks since 2014 have either graduated, used in a trade, not reached their potential(Ray)

The International market is what? 2 years in to their newer format? Is has there been 3 already? Where The smaller markets are rewarded with higher signing money pools. Pools that not to long ago are far higher than money they spent on internationals yearly. So having 8 in top 30 is only bound to happen, especially since they begin so young.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 24, 2020, 9:35 AM Post
Turang was the only Brewer on Keith Law’s list coming in at #81.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2020, 11:14 AM Post
https://www.mlb.com/news/ethan-small-develops-new-pitch

Sounds like Small is working on developing a slider to add to his mix of pitches. If he can learn to throw even an average slider, he could really blossom as a starting pitcher. He already has 3 pretty good offerings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2020, 11:24 AM Post
RollieTime said:
https://www.mlb.com/news/ethan-small-develops-new-pitch

Sounds like Small is working on developing a slider to add to his mix of pitches. If he can learn to throw even an average slider, he could really blossom as a starting pitcher. He already has 3 pretty good offerings.

Yeah I saw this too and agree. He seems like a pretty sharp guy, that type that's able to get the most out of his stuff. A lefty that can mix in 4 pitches and get the best out of them can be a very solid mid rotation guy even if he's only topping out in the 92-94 range.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test