LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
 [ 7 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

minor league deal for rhp jesus castillo; non-roster big league camp invite

Author Message
Offline    minor league deal for rhp jesus castillo; non-roster big league camp invite
#1

Posted: November 23, 2019, 7:59 PM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 2864
the brewers signed rhp jesus castillo to a minor league deal and invited him to big league camp.

it appears that castillo has two minor league options remaining. he has been outrighted off the 40-man roster before.

castillo is the first non-roster player invited to 2020 big league camp.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: minor league deal for rhp jesus castillo; non-roster invite
#2

Posted: November 24, 2019, 6:54 AM Post
Posts: 606
djoctagone said:
the brewers signed rhp jesus castillo to a minor league deal and invited him to big league camp.

it appears that castillo has two minor league options remaining. he has been outrighted off the 40-man roster before.

castillo is the first non-roster player invited to 2020 big league camp.


Another SanAntoio arm who will probably never see MLB. Low cost move so why not.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: minor league deal for rhp jesus castillo; non-roster invite
#3

Posted: November 24, 2019, 8:00 AM Post
Posts: 12205
Brewers seem to be gobbling up arms that have shown they can keep the ball in the park. Maybe that has something to do with new 3 batter rule. Castillo allowed just 4 HR in 99 innings last year. Wouldn't shock me at all if he finds his way on the major league roster at some point in 2020.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: minor league deal for rhp jesus castillo; non-roster invite
#4

Posted: November 24, 2019, 10:50 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10009
Should also be noted that Castillo is also eligible for the Rule 5 draft. It wouldn't be the first time a recently signed minor league FA was taken in the Rule 5.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: minor league deal for rhp jesus castillo; non-roster invite
#5

Posted: November 25, 2019, 10:44 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8502
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Should also be noted that Castillo is also eligible for the Rule 5 draft. It wouldn't be the first time a recently signed minor league FA was taken in the Rule 5.


Certainly a possibility but wouldn't it be more beneficial for a team to have signed him to a major league deal than take him in the rule 5?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: minor league deal for rhp jesus castillo; non-roster invite
#6

Posted: November 25, 2019, 10:47 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10009
jerichoholicninja said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Should also be noted that Castillo is also eligible for the Rule 5 draft. It wouldn't be the first time a recently signed minor league FA was taken in the Rule 5.


Certainly a possibility but wouldn't it be more beneficial for a team to have signed him to a major league deal than take him in the rule 5?


Yeah ... but as a free agent, players are given the right to choose their next organization. The Rule 5 draft eliminates that choice. There have certainly been instances where a player who recently signed a minor league contract was taken in the Rule 5.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: minor league deal for rhp jesus castillo; non-roster invite
#7

Posted: November 25, 2019, 10:58 AM Post
Posts: 1240
Location: Ohio
jerichoholicninja said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Should also be noted that Castillo is also eligible for the Rule 5 draft. It wouldn't be the first time a recently signed minor league FA was taken in the Rule 5.


Certainly a possibility but wouldn't it be more beneficial for a team to have signed him to a major league deal than take him in the rule 5?


True but it is also possible to be taken in the minor league phase of the R5. And in that phase there is nothing locking a player into a level or any return to prior organization mechanism.

For example: Martin Cervenka
He was a minor league free agent that left Cleveland & signed with San Fran (minor league deal) after the 2017 season.
December 2017 Baltimore took Cervenka in the minor league phase of the R5.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 [ 7 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adambr2, Eye Black, Frank Turner Fan, JackNicholson1974, MVP2110, Zad Fnark and 12 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test