LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

[ 7 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

MLB to increase minor league pay in 2021

Offline  MLB to increase minor league pay in 2021

Posted: February 15, 2020, 9:10 AM Post
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-to-raise-minor-league-salaries-in-2021-season-per-report/

"Players at rookie and short-season levels will see their minimum weekly pay raised from $290 to $400, and players at Class A will go from $290 to $500. Double-A will jump from $350 to $600, and Triple-A from $502 to $700."

Long overdue. Would have liked to see a little bigger jump for rookie and short-season; not sure what you are supposed to do with $1600/month. But a nice jump for AA; encourages guys to stick it out a little longer being so close to the show.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: MLB to increase minor league pay in 2021

Posted: February 15, 2020, 9:30 AM Post
They get a food stipend and their housing paid during season, that bumps up the value a bit. So it isn’t really just $1,600.

It isn’t great, but then again the opportunity is a luxury in itself. I wish they would pay them more, but why would they when the demand to play is much higher than the number of spots.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2020, 1:11 PM Post
Still well below what it should be, IMO.

They should be paying them during spring training and when they're working. I know, meals, transportation, and all, but still...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2020, 4:33 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
They get a food stipend and their housing paid during season, that bumps up the value a bit. So it isn’t really just $1,600.

It isn’t great, but then again the opportunity is a luxury in itself. I wish they would pay them more, but why would they when the demand to play is much higher than the number of spots.

They also have to pay clubhouse dues.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2020, 2:18 PM Post
DHonks said:
MrTPlush said:

How much are those? I can't imagine too crazy.

It's good to see them get a pretty significant bump. More would be better of course, but $1,600 a month with housing covered and a food stipend is definitely a livable wage during the season. Also covered are medical(probably all insurance) and gym membership. This is a very significant majority of their basic spending needs that are covered before the $1,600 even comes into play. They certainly aren't getting rich off this, but it's a very livable wage(during the season) considering everything.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2020, 7:05 PM Post
Last I heard the food stipend was only something like $20/day. Maybe that was a few years ago, but I doubt that it is a lot more than that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2020, 7:58 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
DHonks said:
MrTPlush said:

How much are those? I can't imagine too crazy.

It's good to see them get a pretty significant bump. More would be better of course, but $1,600 a month with housing covered and a food stipend is definitely a livable wage during the season. Also covered are medical(probably all insurance) and gym membership. This is a very significant majority of their basic spending needs that are covered before the $1,600 even comes into play. They certainly aren't getting rich off this, but it's a very livable wage(during the season) considering everything.

Last I heard, dues were something like $8-12/day.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 7 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test