LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


Test
  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next  [ 148 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 Brewers Affiliates

Author Message
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#41

Posted: July 01, 2020, 4:50 PM Post
Posts: 200
If St. Paul and The Woodlands join affiliated ball (AAA) it could come down to Washington and Milwaukee competing for Nashville and Rochester. If this occurs, nate82's top four would be very realistic and make sense for the Brewers. Two years ago the Rangers chose Nashville over San Antonio. I don't think they would choose Nashville over Round Rock?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#42

Posted: July 01, 2020, 7:33 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10218
The Brewers since they have bought Carolina can't lose that team or is this up in the air too?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#43

Posted: July 04, 2020, 11:06 AM Post
Posts: 200
I would expect the teams owned by major league teams would stay with them unless the "shifting" results in two affiliates landing at the same level (could happen with the Yankees). An interesting AAA stat - only five major league teams have their AAA affiliate farther than 800 miles away - Brewers, Dodgers, Marlins, Twins, and Nationals. This could decrease to one next year if St. Paul becomes the Twins' affiliate, Jacksonville moves back to AAA to become the Marlins' affiliate, and the Brewers and Nationals fight over Nashville and Rochester. In AAA, the biggest domino may be whether or not the Rangers stay in Nashville.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#44

Posted: July 04, 2020, 3:26 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2103
brewmann04 said:
The Brewers since they have bought Carolina can't lose that team or is this up in the air too?


Seemed the MLB-owned teams were deemed safe. But from this thread back when the MLB/MiLB spitting match was heating up, that may not rule out relocation:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=39098&start=40


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#45

Posted: July 05, 2020, 11:37 AM Post
Posts: 200
It would be interesting to hear what conversations are going on behind closed doors. Could the Brewers try to "move" the Mudcats back up to AA, where they spent a couple of decades, and attempt to "buy low" a Carolina League replacement for them like Hickory or Pulaski? The Rangers may want to keep Spokane (likely moving to low-A) as an affiliate and the Yankees would likely keep their high-A affiliate in Tampa.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#46

Posted: July 05, 2020, 12:07 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10218
I can't see Mark Buying another Minor league baseball club at this Point.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#47

Posted: July 05, 2020, 7:58 PM Post
Posts: 130
MiLB's president recently said more than half of the teams in minor league baseball could be facing "bankruptcy, foreclosures, and asset transfers".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/Sports/mlb/mi ... ao?ocid=sf

Hard to see how they can do anything regarding realignment/contraction when there are so many question marks regarding the future of 80+ teams.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#48

Posted: July 05, 2020, 8:13 PM Post
Posts: 130
balsamlaker said:
It would be interesting to hear what conversations are going on behind closed doors. Could the Brewers try to "move" the Mudcats back up to AA, where they spent a couple of decades, and attempt to "buy low" a Carolina League replacement for them like Hickory or Pulaski? The Rangers may want to keep Spokane (likely moving to low-A) as an affiliate and the Yankees would likely keep their high-A affiliate in Tampa.


Requesting Carolina to AA seems plausible, like the Mets want to do in Brooklyn. That's the kind of stuff I expect to see.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#49

Posted: July 06, 2020, 6:34 PM Post
Posts: 1327
Location: Ohio
LincolnDD said:
balsamlaker said:
It would be interesting to hear what conversations are going on behind closed doors. Could the Brewers try to "move" the Mudcats back up to AA, where they spent a couple of decades, and attempt to "buy low" a Carolina League replacement for them like Hickory or Pulaski? The Rangers may want to keep Spokane (likely moving to low-A) as an affiliate and the Yankees would likely keep their high-A affiliate in Tampa.


Requesting Carolina to AA seems plausible, like the Mets want to do in Brooklyn. That's the kind of stuff I expect to see.


Carolina to AA only makes sense with a lot of other realignment..

Brooklyn does make sense to AA as Eastern league might be dropping Erie, Pa & Binghamton, NY


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#50

Posted: July 06, 2020, 8:51 PM Post
Posts: 200
If I had to make a guess today, I would actually guess that Brooklyn and a couple of other NY/Penn teams move into low-A kicking 2-3 SAL teams into the Southern League, including Columbia for the Mets. This is how I could see the Brewers having an interest in a team like Hickory that they could kick from the SAL to the Carolina League and then moving Carolina into the Southern League. Like I said in a previous post, there are a lot of dominoes considering there are likely only about fourteen teams joining affiliate ball between low-A through AAA.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#51

Posted: July 07, 2020, 7:59 AM Post
Posts: 130
MadThinker88 said:
Carolina to AA only makes sense with a lot of other realignment.


True. The Southern League used to have a presence in the Carolinas, but it has migrated more to the West now. That being said, we could see some significant realignment. Ultimately, I don't know if more AA in the Southeast makes a lot of sense (if the goal is to get affiliates closer to their parent clubs), but there are some plausible markets. I live in Charleston SC, and there has been some lobbying here in the past for a more advanced minor league team. I think the market could handle it (seems stronger than my previous home in a dying AA market in Binghamton); ditto Columbia up the road from here. They could pull regional teams from nearby AA leagues (e.g. Jacksonville, Tennessee (Knoxville), Richmond) in addition to promoting some SAL/Carolina franchises and spin up a new league.

That's probably more extreme than what we'll end up seeing, but I think anything is possible.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#52

Posted: July 07, 2020, 8:29 AM Post
Posts: 130
balsamlaker said:
If I had to make a guess today, I would actually guess that Brooklyn and a couple of other NY/Penn teams move into low-A kicking 2-3 SAL teams into the Southern League, including Columbia for the Mets. This is how I could see the Brewers having an interest in a team like Hickory that they could kick from the SAL to the Carolina League and then moving Carolina into the Southern League. Like I said in a previous post, there are a lot of dominoes considering there are likely only about fourteen teams joining affiliate ball between low-A through AAA.


Yep, seems like we'll see a good bit of realignment at the Low-A level. I think the Rangers own the Hickory team, so I'm not sure we'll see a change there. They also own their High A team in Kinston (Down East), so my guess is they'll hang on to those for some regional relationship (easy to move players and roving instructors between the two), if teams have a say over their new affiliate structure.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#53

Posted: July 07, 2020, 9:06 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5662
I liked having Nashville, but I wonder if there will be any hard feelings with the last parting of ways and the new stadium.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#54

Posted: July 07, 2020, 9:32 AM Post
Posts: 200
LincolnDD...unless the Rangers want to keep their Spokane affiliate, which likely becomes a part of a six-team Northwest League in low-A. If this happens, they could be motivated sellers. Texas could attempt to get completely out of Carolina and go with a Fresno/Spokane combination in A+/A. There is a good chance Fresno replaces Lancaster in the California League.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#55

Posted: July 07, 2020, 12:44 PM Post
Posts: 130
balsamlaker said:
LincolnDD...unless the Rangers want to keep their Spokane affiliate, which likely becomes a part of a six-team Northwest League in low-A. If this happens, they could be motivated sellers. Texas could attempt to get completely out of Carolina and go with a Fresno/Spokane combination in A+/A. There is a good chance Fresno replaces Lancaster in the California League.


Sure, that's a possibility. Maybe facilities are a better draw in Spokane (don't know) and Fresno (probably; it's a AAA-caliber stadium)? Seems like it would be more complicated to divest themselves of two teams, though. Anything I'm missing that would make them prefer Spokane?

I'll note that the Rockies are currently affiliated with Lancaster, and that guys who are part of the ownership group of the Fresno Grizzlies are also part of the Colorado Rockies ownership group, so in a scenario where Lancaster is cut and replaced by Fresno in the Cal, the Rockies make sense as new partners there for several reasons.

The push for more geographic-friendly alignment seems to be one goal of the milb makeover, so I would think the West Coast teams get first hack at available affiliates on the West Coast.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#56

Posted: July 07, 2020, 1:06 PM Post
Posts: 130
CheezWizHed said:
I liked having Nashville, but I wonder if there will be any hard feelings with the last parting of ways and the new stadium.


Hopefully time has healed those hard feelings. Nashville is one of the best spots in AAA. If the rumored move of Sugar Land to affiliated ball as the Astros' AAA team team happens, the Rangers likely go back to Round Rock. Couple that with the rumor that San Antonio could get demoted back to AA, and the Brewers will need a new AAA home. A move back to Nashville would be close to ideal.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#57

Posted: July 07, 2020, 4:26 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10218
What will happen if San Antonio does move back to AA what will the Brewers do with Biloxi.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#58

Posted: July 07, 2020, 5:11 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 895
I would love the Brewers in Nashville. Puts them about 2 hours away and I selfishly can get to a few games. I would love for Brewers AA to be Rocket City. Facilities are second to none and minutes away. Thats a pipe dream though as Angels and Rocket City have a strong relationship despite geography.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#59

Posted: July 08, 2020, 6:52 AM Post
Posts: 130
brewmann04 said:
What will happen if San Antonio does move back to AA what will the Brewers do with Biloxi.


The way I read it, all current agreements (player development contracts) between teams and affiliates will be voided once September rolls around because the current governing agreement between MLB and MiLB expires. All MiLB teams will essentially be free agents (with the exception of those with MLB ownership). So if San Antonio gets dropped to AA and Biloxi stays at AA, the Brewers would have to choose one or the other for AA, or end up with an entirely new AA affiliate (and new AAA).

The Brewers agreements with both affiliates were to end at the conclusion of this season anyway. But teams with agreements that extend beyond this year (e.g. the Rangers have a four-year agreement with Nashville that expires after 2022) would no longer be contracted with one another.

This Fall will likely be one gigantic affiliation shuffle, like the one were used to seeing every two years -- on steroids. But then we'll never really see anything like that again, as it's expected that this change will lead to a lot of long-term relationships between mlb teams and affiliates.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates
#60

Posted: July 08, 2020, 7:39 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5662
Why would San Antonio drop to AA? Wouldn't they want to stay in AAA (assuming players closer to the majors would be a bigger draw)?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next  [ 148 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test