LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 146 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 Brewers Affiliates

Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Affiliates

Posted: July 08, 2020, 8:06 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Why would San Antonio drop to AA? Wouldn't they want to stay in AAA (assuming players closer to the majors would be a bigger draw)?

It's not their choice. MLB will force these changes, and MLB has the power. MLB's argument is that they don't *need* Minor League Baseball as it currently exists. Once the contract expires in September, MLB can walk away if they want. Once things go back to normal (pre-pandemic), they can just keep all their minor leaguers from all levels at their Spring Training complexes the entire summer and just scrimmage against themselves or players from other MLB teams. Or, without that governing contract, they can just form a new minor league system and leave the current MiLB org out in the cold.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 08, 2020, 9:54 AM Post
Again thanks for the info going to be curious to see where the Crew AAA and AA teams end up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 08, 2020, 12:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
LincolnDD said:
CheezWizHed said:
Why would San Antonio drop to AA? Wouldn't they want to stay in AAA (assuming players closer to the majors would be a bigger draw)?

It's not their choice. MLB will force these changes, and MLB has the power. MLB's argument is that they don't *need* Minor League Baseball as it currently exists. Once the contract expires in September, MLB can walk away if they want. Once things go back to normal (pre-pandemic), they can just keep all their minor leaguers from all levels at their Spring Training complexes the entire summer and just scrimmage against themselves or players from other MLB teams. Or, without that governing contract, they can just form a new minor league system and leave the current MiLB org out in the cold.

Well sure they could form new teams, but it would cost a pretty penny to do so.

Just given that SA seems like the best AAA option we have had (or was available to us) since Nashville, it seems odd that no one would want them for a AAA team. I could see being a Ranger/Astro AA team if their AAA options were booked, but otherwise I'd think they would have decent MLB options to remain a AAA team given the dearth of good AAA options.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 08, 2020, 6:46 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Well sure they could form new teams, but it would cost a pretty penny to do so.

Just given that SA seems like the best AAA option we have had (or was available to us) since Nashville, it seems odd that no one would want them for a AAA team. I could see being a Ranger/Astro AA team if their AAA options were booked, but otherwise I'd think they would have decent MLB options to remain a AAA team given the dearth of good AAA options.

This is all my interpretation based on what I've read, so I could be wrong!

I've read up on this a lot, but I think this article sums it up pretty well: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... surprises/

It mentions MLB could just walk away from MiLB and create their own development league. In this case, they'd bring their choice of existing organizations with them, so no significant costs that are associated with spinning up new teams. It seems like more of a bargaining chip/threat (I think they made the same threat back in 1990), but something they could realistically do.

It also mentions that MLB teams were asked to provide their preferred affiliate sites. That and the report that San Antonio could be demoted (Keith Law report back in April) is why I think San Antonio isn't a preference for the Brewers, or anyone else. I haven't been, but from what I understand the facilities there are subpar. The Rangers choosing Nashville over San Antonio back in the last shuffle was a red flag.

I think the Rangers and Astros already have their preferred AA teams in Texas already, so I don't think the demotion would be done to give either Texas team a local AA affiliate, but to make room at AAA for another city by removing a team nobody really wants. San Antonio is a great market for sports, but if the Astros (Sugar Land?) and Rangers (Round Rock?) aren't options, it makes more sense to demote a team with no geographic partner so you can promote another regional team to one of the thirty AAA spots elsewhere (like St. Paul for the Twins, which has been rumored, or Jacksonville for the Marlins or Richmond for the Nationals, which I've speculated about).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2020, 9:26 AM Post
If Richmond builds a new stadium complex, I could definitely see that as a desired promotion to AAA for the Washington Nationals in the upcoming affiliate reshuffle. They could have affiliates within a 2-3 hour drive of DC: AAA - Richmond, VA; AA - Harrisburg, PA; A - Fredericksburg, VA. Each of them would have ballparks built or recently renovated, with Harrisburg being the oldest, having undergone renovation in 2009.

I'd be curious if the Brewers might try to tie in with either Wichita or Omaha. With Wichita moving into a new stadium, the Royals could think about breaking their long-standing association with Omaha. If so, that could open up Omaha for the Brewers, which would be a decent location in the current AAA footprint. That's assuming there isn't a radical reshuffling of lower league cities (e.g. Midwest League locations) to the AAA level.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2020, 12:36 PM Post
Global Moderator
LincolnDD said:
It also mentions that MLB teams were asked to provide their preferred affiliate sites. That and the report that San Antonio could be demoted (Keith Law report back in April) is why I think San Antonio isn't a preference for the Brewers, or anyone else. I haven't been, but from what I understand the facilities there are subpar. The Rangers choosing Nashville over San Antonio back in the last shuffle was a red flag.

I think the Rangers and Astros already have their preferred AA teams in Texas already, so I don't think the demotion would be done to give either Texas team a local AA affiliate, but to make room at AAA for another city by removing a team nobody really wants. San Antonio is a great market for sports, but if the Astros (Sugar Land?) and Rangers (Round Rock?) aren't options, it makes more sense to demote a team with no geographic partner so you can promote another regional team to one of the thirty AAA spots elsewhere (like St. Paul for the Twins, which has been rumored, or Jacksonville for the Marlins or Richmond for the Nationals, which I've speculated about).

I'll admit that I have NOT done any reading on this. I'm just surprised. San Antonio is a large market and seemed like a good affiliate (I was happy to be out of CS and there instead). It also seems like an ideal spot for the Texas MLB teams as it is half-way between both clubs. Maybe SA just isn't a baseball town? They did only draw 4k average (compared to the 8K average for the St. Paul Saints).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2020, 1:00 PM Post
The only negative about Nashville reconnecting with Milwaukee is the possibility that Nashville gets a major league team in the near future and the Brewers are again looking like they were in the early nineties when the Rockies began their franchise and the Zephyrs moved from Denver to New Orleans. My prediction is San Antonio becomes the AA affiliate of the Diamondbacks. I agree with LincolnDD that Richmond is worthy of a AAA affiliate and I would put Hartford and Birmingham also in that category. Rochester and Round Rock are a couple of cities to watch and are both worthy of AAA franchises going forward.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 22, 2020, 9:37 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I'll admit that I have NOT done any reading on this. I'm just surprised. San Antonio is a large market and seemed like a good affiliate (I was happy to be out of CS and there instead). It also seems like an ideal spot for the Texas MLB teams as it is half-way between both clubs. Maybe SA just isn't a baseball town? They did only draw 4k average (compared to the 8K average for the St. Paul Saints).

I think either Texas team would love to be in that market, but teams care more and more about player facilities than geography these days, especially the Astros (who are reportedly the "inspiration" for this whole process). And from what I understand, the stadium isn't in a great location; there's nothing around it (bars, restaurants, entertainment), so probably one of the reasons the attendance is meh.

I know there were reports around the time of the relocation that, without a new stadium, the owners could move the team out again. Might bear watching.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 22, 2020, 9:40 AM Post
ReverendBrewmeister said:
I'd be curious if the Brewers might try to tie in with either Wichita or Omaha. With Wichita moving into a new stadium, the Royals could think about breaking their long-standing association with Omaha. If so, that could open up Omaha for the Brewers, which would be a decent location in the current AAA footprint. That's assuming there isn't a radical reshuffling of lower league cities (e.g. Midwest League locations) to the AAA level.

I'd love to see Wichita, especially if there's a new AAA leave in the Midwest. Can't do better than the newest AAA stadium in the minors.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 22, 2020, 9:43 AM Post
balsamlaker said:
The only negative about Nashville reconnecting with Milwaukee is the possibility that Nashville gets a major league team in the near future and the Brewers are again looking like they were in the early nineties when the Rockies began their franchise and the Zephyrs moved from Denver to New Orleans. My prediction is San Antonio becomes the AA affiliate of the Diamondbacks. I agree with LincolnDD that Richmond is worthy of a AAA affiliate and I would put Hartford and Birmingham also in that category. Rochester and Round Rock are a couple of cities to watch and are both worthy of AAA franchises going forward.

Definitely a concern with Nashville. Same deal with Charlotte perhaps? And both cities have relatively new stadiums; I wonder how taxpayers would feel if they're asked to build another new park so soon after the AAA parks were opened.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 22, 2020, 9:55 AM Post
This is super interesting (at least to me):

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... able-soon/

Suggests High A and Low A leagues could swap levels (so Caroline League/Mudcats would be Low A and Midwest League/Rattlers would be High A).

Also a suggestion that the Florida State League, after dropping to Low A, would split their season between the Florida sites and other cities, like those in the NY-Penn, which would save a lot of teams that would otherwise be contracted. That could also possibly lead to a similar scenario in Arizona at the complexes, with teams splitting time between Arizona and the Northwest League, as some of the teams in the NW League don't necessarily want the rumored promotion to full season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2020, 4:28 PM Post
BA recently had an article that explained soon MILB would be returning to the table. It will be interesting how quickly things "come together". Many leagues historically have released schedules previously during the summer months, but that is really difficult to do without knowing which teams will be at which levels. I don't think it will concern the Brewers, but there is talk New Orleans will want to get back in MILB, likely at the AA level. If I was a "betting man", I would put Milwaukee's AAA in Rochester, as I think they deserve to keep a AAA team and I don't see a match for them if the Twins and St. Paul match up. If Rochester happens, it would be interesting to see if the Brewers try to get a AA affiliate somewhere between Carolina and Rochester. Who knows, maybe they would try to make something happen with someone not on the initial "list" like Erie or Chattanooga or even with the independent league Barnstormers in Lancaster, PA. It would not be a surprise to see Stearns get involved in what was being referred to as the "Wild West" a couple of months ago.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 02, 2020, 6:23 PM Post
balsamlaker said:
BA recently had an article that explained soon MILB would be returning to the table. It will be interesting how quickly things "come together". Many leagues historically have released schedules previously during the summer months, but that is really difficult to do without knowing which teams will be at which levels. I don't think it will concern the Brewers, but there is talk New Orleans will want to get back in MILB, likely at the AA level. If I was a "betting man", I would put Milwaukee's AAA in Rochester, as I think they deserve to keep a AAA team and I don't see a match for them if the Twins and St. Paul match up. If Rochester happens, it would be interesting to see if the Brewers try to get a AA affiliate somewhere between Carolina and Rochester. Who knows, maybe they would try to make something happen with someone not on the initial "list" like Erie or Chattanooga or even with the independent league Barnstormers in Lancaster, PA. It would not be a surprise to see Stearns get involved in what was being referred to as the "Wild West" a couple of months ago.

Just so we are on the same page, the Rochester with a AAA team is in Rochester, NEW YORK, not Rochester, MINN...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 06, 2020, 11:55 AM Post
Right. The Rochester in MN doesn't appear to have adequate facilities to host affiliated ball.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 06, 2020, 12:07 PM Post
LincolnDD said:
Right. The Rochester in MN doesn't appear to have adequate facilities to host affiliated ball.

At least as of two years ago its biggest baseball team was its Northwoods League team, and I doubt anything has changed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 06, 2020, 6:54 PM Post
Sounds like things aren't going too well in the negotiations, with the clock ticking (current agreement expires in less than two months).

MLB could still walk away if they don't reach an agreement by the end of September. I hope they work things out (and I think they will), but it would be fascinating to things played out then. It would be a free-for-all.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2020, 3:26 PM Post
MadThinker...correct the Rochester is in NY and has supported a AAA team for I think over a century at this point. On a totally different thought, any chance the Brewers choose Beloit and their new stadium over continuing with Appleton?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2020, 8:14 AM Post
Beloit would be interesting, and I would think that would be the preference of that club to affiliate with the Brewers. And with talk of promoting the Northwest League to Low-A, I could see the A's leaving Beloit for a West Coast affiliate.

Baseball America's most recent article again brought up the idea of dropping the Florida State League down to Low-A (as a half-season league that would play the first half of the season). That would be twelve teams to replace at High-A. We played around with this before at the AA level, but maybe it's possible they use the reduction of High A teams in Florida as a way to carve out a new High-A league out of existing Midwest League teams. Wisconsin at Low-A and Beloit at High-A? I know the issue there is team ownership of the Mudcats, but how married are the Brewers to that team? I think the Brewers (and Astros and Red Sox and Rangers) all purchased teams in the Carolina League because they wanted to avoid ending up in the California League. With no more risk of affiliate shuffles every two years under the new plan, would the Brewers be willing to move on from Carolina? I know one benefit of Carolina is the better early season weather conditions, but one proposal in the new plan would be progressively shorter seasons as you drop down levels (so AAA would play a longer season than AA, and so forth), so that would be less of a factor.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2020, 10:34 AM Post
It will be nice to have two minor league teams in the same state as the Major League team. I wonder what will happen to the Brewers and Biloxi they both seem to like each other.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2020, 2:25 PM Post
Unless, Appleton made some major improvements/additions to the point of getting a AAA team, I would think it would be Appleton OR Beloit for the Brewers. If the team goes for best facilities, it wouldn't be surprising to see Wichita, Biloxi, and Beloit join the team-owned Mudcats. This could mean Rochester reconnects with Baltimore at the AAA level possibly moving a couple of the Orioles affiliates down a level.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 146 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test