LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

[ 9 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Eligible for Minor League Free Agency - Fall 2020

Offline  Eligible for Minor League Free Agency - Fall 2020

Posted: October 31, 2020, 6:16 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Here's the list of the Brewers' players eligible for minor league free agency as of today, Sunday 11/1.

Baseball America should come out with their list of minor league free agents any moment now, so we'll be able to verify accuracy here.

Unlike last year with Tyrone Taylor, none are candidates to be added to the team's 40-man roster, although players could be subsequently re-signed to minor league free agent deals.

Alphabetical within current level.

SAN ANTONIO:

RHP Johan Belisario
OF Keon Broxton
C Tuffy Gosewisch
INF Ryon Healy
LHP Chris Lee
RHP Shelby Miller
INF Ronny Rodriguez
RHP Trey Supak - Signed a minor league deal with Oakland on 11.20
RHP Aaron Wilkerson

BILOXI:

RHP Anthony Bender
RHP Preston Gainey
3B/1B Jake Gatewood

CAROLINA:

RHP Nelson Hernandez
RHP Alec Kenilvort - Re-signed a minor league deal with Milwaukee on 11.2

WISCONSIN / MARYVALE:

IF Julio Mendez
RHP Dylan Prohoroff

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Eligible for Minor League Free Agency - Fall 2020

Posted: November 01, 2020, 7:03 AM Post

Global Moderator
Lee, Palma, Castro and Castillo were minor league free agent signings prior to the planned campaign. Castillo even had a minor league camp invitation for February. But none saw action during the 2020 "season".

Julio Mendez' tale has been shared often. You'll recall Mendez was the player who was hit in the chest with a pitch back in 2017 and nearly died on the field due to a resulting cardiac incident. Here's the chilling Link Report with our coverage that August night, along with subsequent updates and photos.

The Brewers have included Mendez in their media guide and as "active" ever since. I do think it would make for an inspiring feature story to track down Mendez, learn how he's doing now, and find out from the Brewers about his status, help with medical bills, etc. This is the first year he qualifies as a minor league free agent.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2020, 8:55 AM Post
Was my math off? I could have sworn Supak would be a free agent.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2020, 9:50 AM Post

Global Moderator
CheeseheadInQC said:
Was my math off? I could have sworn Supak would be a free agent.

You are correct. I will adjust.

Unless the Brewers have plans to resign him, their comments about glad he cleared waivers and such are a bit hollow.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2020, 10:14 PM Post
Ryon Healy was outrighted to the Missions on 10/30. Tom Hardicourt confirmed with David Stearns that he expects Ryon to elect free agency.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 1:38 PM Post

Global Moderator
RHP's Anthony Bender and Dylan Prohoroff were moved from the Rule 5 protection list to this free agent list. Apparently when signed by the Crew, the organization did not pick up the normal remaining years of control, or have the opportunity to do so.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2020, 11:52 AM Post

Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:

I've since learned that these three players, who never suited up for the Crew in 2020, were each signed to two-year minor league free agent deals last winter, so despite having enough overall MiLB service time, these names have been transferred to our other thread on Rule 5 protection.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2020, 4:04 PM Post
Mass Haas said:
RHP's Anthony Bender and Dylan Prohoroff were moved from the Rule 5 protection list to this free agent list. Apparently when signed by the Crew, the organization did not pick up the normal remaining years of control, or have the opportunity to do so.

I believe it's because players entering the minors sign a uniform player contract which is an agreement for seven seasons of service. Since they were released by their initial organizations, the duration of their new contract was negotiated.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 03, 2021, 9:25 AM Post

Global Moderator
Congrats RHP Anthony Bender (Marlins minors contract w/big league camp invite). Bender posted 1.49 ERA across three levels of Brewers chain in '19 after signing out of indy ball. Crew encouraged Bender, who turns 26 in February, to pitch w/MKEMilkmen in '20. Bender then left as an MiLB free agent in November.

Brewers scouts were able to monitor Bender's time with the Milkmen, but it didn't lead to a mutual extension of his service time allotment with the Crew, apparently.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 9 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test