LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2020

Offline  Re: Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft - Fall 2020

Posted: December 10, 2020, 2:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
I know we have avoided a pick here for many years now, but I'm still a little surprised. I figured if there was any year to take one, this year would be it (financial reasons mostly).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2020, 2:30 PM Post

Roster Guru
CheezWizHed said:
I know we have avoided a pick here for many years now, but I'm still a little surprised. I figured if there was any year to take one, this year would be it (financial reasons mostly).

rule 5 draft picks still cost $100,000--which is roughly a month's salary for a rookie making the minimum. clubs can get 50% back by offering the rule 6 player back to the original club.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2020, 4:32 PM Post
The 26 (or whatever it ends up being) man roster spot is the real valuable part. A team really, really has to like a guy that their current team doesn't like for it to be worth it, or be in complete tank mode. Filling up a ML roster spot with a guy who won't be a contributor (Other than in rare cases) can mean you lose out on other players, it shouldn't be done willy-nilly. With a much higher pick, maybe the Brewers go for it.

It is always interesting to see the different valuations. Like the Orioles both picked two, and lost two, in the ML phase. Look forward to seeing who will be on the right end of things like that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2020, 7:40 PM Post
I remember when I used to be excited by the Rule 5 draft (early in the Melvin years). I am thankful that our roster has gotten to the point where we don't think we can carry rule 5 players any more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2020, 11:36 PM Post
Interesting that there was a 15-3 pitcher to hitter split. Even the Dodgers' Estevez, who was looked at as a near lock to go, didn't get picked.

I'm a little surprised, unless they have a bunch of minor league free agent signings lined up and were waiting until after the minor league phase of the draft, that they passed on at least grabbing someone like Errol Robinson in the AAA phase. They only have one or two (depending on if Mathias ends up in the big leagues) middle infielders who belong in AA or AAA. They need some guys just to fill out the rosters.

Less surprised the Brewers didn't have anyone picked in the minor league phase. The fact that the Brewers even protected some players who don't seem to have a clear roster spot for next season probably tells you all you need to know on their opinion on Kirby's health, unfortunately.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test